Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

What is the Purpose of the Recumbent Bikes?

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

What is the Purpose of the Recumbent Bikes?

Old 02-09-20, 08:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
In a way recumbent trikes are a safety device. In really windy conditions if a cross wind is blowing from the right, trying to blow you in front of traffic trikes are a great deal less affected.
Old 02-10-20, 05:12 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by smullen
1st, not knocking them... I like all Bikes. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I go to a bike shop. Its like I want one of each...
There are so many types, most I get their niche, but not sure on the Recumbent Trikes.. They look fun...
If you have to ask you'll likely never understand.
Old 02-11-20, 09:12 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
If you have to ask you'll likely never understand.
Not true at all. Asking is good, in this case, trying is better.
Old 02-14-20, 07:35 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Not true at all. Asking is good, in this case, trying is better.
Yes trying Is better but I'm quickly learning triking is best
Old 02-23-20, 07:31 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Bikes: 1982 Schwinn Sidewinder, Sun EZ-1 Recumbent, Cannondale R-400

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I have to agree. It's like an Easy Chair that takes you places. No sore butt, no numbness in the ...er you know where... or the hands. And you don't have to straddle the top bar at stops. I wouldn't trade my EZ-1 for anything.
Old 02-23-20, 07:36 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Just an observation.... there is no law that says you have to settle for one or the other. You can have a 'bent' and standard bikes as well. Just ride the one you feel like riding at the time. I have 12 bikes of all kinds, except for electric or motorized. I ride them all.
Old 02-24-20, 02:27 PM
Notso_fastLane

Originally Posted by Schwinnhund
Just an observation.... there is no law that says you have to settle for one or the other. You can have a 'bent' and standard bikes as well. Just ride the one you feel like riding at the time. I have 12 bikes of all kinds, except for electric or motorized. I ride them all.
I kept both my road bike and my mtn bike for a while after I bought my bent. The problem is even ~10 days without riding the upright, and there's a painful re-acclimitization when going back to riding a road saddle. I don't have that anymore with my recumbent, which is why I don't have uprights anymore.

I realize a lot of people can do both. For me, though, there's no reason to keep a bike I would almost never ride. My next purchase will be an offroad capable trike.
Old 02-24-20, 06:00 PM
Schwinnhund
Gearhead

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I kept both my road bike and my mtn bike for a while after I bought my bent. The problem is even ~10 days without riding the upright, and there's a painful re-acclimitization when going back to riding a road saddle. I don't have that anymore with my recumbent, which is why I don't have uprights anymore.

I realize a lot of people can do both. For me, though, there's no reason to keep a bike I would almost never ride. My next purchase will be an offroad capable trike.
I ride my bent most of the time as well, but I just couldn't bring myself to parting with my old friends. I now have 1 bent and 12 standard bikes. I ride them all every so often.

My next bike will be a Go Plus Tricycle, 8-speed.
Likes For Schwinnhund:
Old 02-26-20, 03:17 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
I just recently got my first Tadpole trike,
Terratrike Rambler All Terrain.
Love the ride, It's a keeper
Likes For osco53:
Old 02-26-20, 04:27 PM
Notso_fastLane

Congrats on the new ride. Post a picture in the pictures thread when you can!
Old 02-29-20, 09:08 PM
henrry

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has benefits like some other workout equipment. Help increase muscle strength, lose weight, reduce stress ... In addition, Recumbent Bike is very suitable for the elderly, people with back pain. More details you can see at: https://www.bestforlives.com/best-re...-bike-reviews/
Old 02-29-20, 10:48 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Well written response

Originally Posted by kingston
I bought a used recumbent this season to try it out and while I like it quite a lot, I like riding uprights a lot more. The best thing about recumbents to me is that it allows some people to ride a bike who are not able to ride an upright. I ride brevets and most of the recumbent riders I meet on on those rides had ridden uprights for years but for one reason or another, bad back, neck wrists, etc. couldn't do long rides on an upright anymore, so they got a recumbent and are still out there riding. Just a couple weeks ago, I met a guy on a 600k who had been an ultradistance upright rider for years and switched to the recumbent because his back was starting to bother him on long rides.
I have no problem with them . I'll probably by out enjoying one if - when I need one.
I have never been passed by one, but only for the timing. Those things can get out and scoot!
Old 03-01-20, 03:16 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Oh sure, recumbents are OK for people who have physical disabilities like trikes for poor balance; and some bents are OK for various back ailments - on an individual basis. I originally went to bents for hand pain and shortly after than I discovered their speed capabilities. While many bents are designed for comfort first and speed isn't even on the to-do list, others are very capable of going fast. Once I discovered THOSE recumbents, there was no going back! Just a couple of years ago, at 60+, I recorded a 50-miler at 26 mph average speed. That would have been impossible for a younger me to do on my old road bike! I sort of regret not having one to train on when I was younger.
Old 03-01-20, 10:14 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
Not to be paranoid or anything, but the only purpose of 'bents is to irritate me. I hate it when one shows up at a club ride. But God is merciful, and usually the riders of such "bikes" bail before the ride is over, allowing me to enjoy the remainder of the ride. Again, not to be paranoid, but it's all about me.
Recumbents joining club rides is problematic because the speed envelope is different: slower up hills, faster going down. Also, upright riders get surprised when something rides up alongside below their normal sight-line. Horses for courses...

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-02-20, 07:24 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

My club is quite accepting of recumbents. I rarely ride in the pack; usually you'll find me hanging off the back, or if everyone is running a single line, I may be up at the front alongside whoever is currently pulling. In short, my position in the group is cognizant of the fact that I'm a lousy draft. When I'm at the back, I'm usually far enough back that I'm not getting a 'free' draft and only pile up behind them if they slow down unexpectedly.

I find it funny that cyclists will complain about car drivers only looking out for other cars and thus not seeing the cyclists - but then they turn around and do the same thing by only looking for cyclists who are at their height. If they looked for a wheel alongside of them, they'd see the 'bent every time, even a lowracer. There's a tandem in my club with a blind stoker. She says she can always tell I'm passing because of the distinctive hollow 'whoosh' sound my lowracer makes.

My natural rhythm for hills is different than theirs, though; and it's often easiest to go off the front, take the hill, and wait for everyone at the top. By the time they get there, I've had a nice rest. Hanging back and taking the hills like an upright makes for a good interval workout - loaf on the flats, charge the climb, ride the brakes on the downhill.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 04-17-20 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-15-20, 04:03 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
A very few recumbent riders like me discover after converting, that a good racing bent can be stupid-fast in a way a time trial bike could never hope to be. The UCI realized this in 1930 and banned bents from competition in any of their sanctioned races.
I'm 62 and just had cervical fusion. The Dr. says a trike type bent could get me back on the road faster. What would you suggest for a guy who doesn't like to ride slow?
Old 03-15-20, 08:01 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
Originally Posted by gif4445
I'm 62 and just had cervical fusion. The Dr. says a trike type bent could get me back on the road faster. What would you suggest for a guy who doesn't like to ride slow?
Depends on your definition of "slow".

What specific joint on your body was fused? how recent was the procedure?

What's your eventual "goal"? to be back on an upright road bike, racing with cat.3s? riding weekly century on weekends?
Old 03-15-20, 10:12 AM
gif4445

Originally Posted by cat0020
Depends on your definition of "slow".

What specific joint on your body was fused? how recent was the procedure?

What's your eventual "goal"? to be back on an upright road bike, racing with cat.3s? riding weekly century on weekends?
I had 3 neck vertebrae fused (C4-6) 2 weeks ago. My preferred type of cycling is touring, Randonneuring and ultra-distance racing. Doc said he would put me on the fast track. On the trainer and Rouvy now. Maybe actual cycling in a month. Concerned that my ROM may be too limited for certain positions, mostly the aerobars. Although I'm in a more relaxed position.
Old 03-15-20, 01:22 PM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Not a trike. Get a high-racer or mid-racer type bent instead.
Old 03-15-20, 07:53 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
Originally Posted by Steamer
The doc may be worried about falls. A spill from a bike with just-beginning-to-heal spinal fusion could be life-altering.

Gif: there are some faster trikes around. They generally have skinny tires, 700C rear wheels, and a a more laid-back position. The ICE Sprint X comes to mind: https://www.icetrikes.co/products/sp...ecumbent-trike

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 03-16-20, 05:47 AM
BlazingPedals

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
The doc may be worried about falls. A spill from a bike with just-beginning-to-heal spinal fusion could be life-altering.

Gif: there are some faster trikes around. They generally have skinny tires, 700C rear wheels, and a a more laid-back position. The ICE Sprint X comes to mind: https://www.icetrikes.co/products/sp...ecumbent-trike
Also Bacchetta Carbon Trike, Greenspeed Aero, and Catrike 700. Trikes are always at a disadvantage in the speed department, due to multiple factors. If you want speed but are reluctant to chance a fall, I recommend a lowracer. Falling from 10 inches is a non-event - you may lose some skin but there's no impact damage.
Old 03-16-20, 08:48 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills

There seems to be an assumption here - that trikes are much more immune to falls. If you roll a trike, your neck is probably going to see some trauma. Is it safer than a bike? Yeah, probably. But to hear of a newb rolling their trike isn't all that rare. Just pointing out that there is still a non-negligible risk with any type of (non-stationary) cycle. And it's unavoidable that the trike will be slower, even if it's a racy trike. If you are trying to recovery from neck fusion, you probably will have to accept a new normal. It's also important to note that neck fusion may prevent one from riding some of the faster unfaired bents out there, because a low seat angle would point your face skyward, not down the road.
Old 03-16-20, 09:52 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
...My preferred type of cycling is touring, Randonneuring and ultra-distance racing...
I see mostly high racers on the brevets I ride. This Corsa in Norfolk looks good like a decent place to start. Can't ever remember seeing a trike other than a velomobile.
Old 03-16-20, 10:03 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 728 Times in 448 Posts
I had 3 neck vertebrae fused (C4-6) 2 weeks ago. My preferred type of cycling is touring, Randonneuring and ultra-distance racing. Doc said he would put me on the fast track. On the trainer and Rouvy now. Maybe actual cycling in a month. Concerned that my ROM may be too limited for certain positions, mostly the aerobars. Although I'm in a more relaxed position.
I think you need to be patient.

Determine your ROM and ability to ride after you've gone through at least 2 weeks of rehab, ask your PT whether he/she would clear you for cycling on public roads.
Once cleared by PT & physician for cycling, then start to look at your budget.

Personally, I started riding after long recovery, too..
I started with a used $450 Vision R40 and tried 5 or 6 more higher end recumbents.. and still enjoy riding my Vision R40 more than others.
I modified the seat on my R40 to be a hardshell seat with headrest, which made the bike better suited for longer distance.
50-60 miles on a single ride is very easily accomplished.

I personally find trikes unattractive, due to how much road width they take up, and the difficulty of transporting them; even though most rides I do are right from my driveway.
Old 03-16-20, 04:32 PM
gif4445

Originally Posted by Steamer
I think I understand now. When I think of recumbent, I am wrongly just thinking of a part of the broad group that includes the trike type bikes that are hugging the ground. My only (at least now anyway) reason for asking about what in my mind was a recumbent, is taking the balance factor out of the equation. So basically I was looking for something with 3 wheels that could get me on the road faster because falls may have less of a chance of happening. I'm thinking right now, if there is a major performance hit with the 3 wheeled variety, I'll wait it out and stick with my DF. At least for now anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.