Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Aluminum

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Specialized Aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-20, 04:11 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
If I were still racing, all my race bikes would be aluminum. They are less expensive and more crash survivable than carbon. Really, a frame is just something to hang parts on. If the frame is of decent quality, that is all that really matters for most of us.
Old 04-03-20, 09:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
I find it funny that someone pulled up a 10-year-old thread to make 15-year-old arguments about carbon not being durable.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-03-20, 10:02 AM
EnooN2C

Bikes: Specialized Allez E5 Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Carbon future.

Would you chain up your £3000 carbon frame to tree or for a D-Lock in it without worrying about scratches and such? I would. Therefore, Aluminium. Cheaper. Fits my pocket. That's why most responsible people drive Volvos and not Ferraris. Just saying.
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I find it funny that someone pulled up a 10-year-old thread to make 15-year-old arguments about carbon not being durable.
Old 04-03-20, 03:41 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by EnooN2C
Would you chain up your £3000 carbon frame to tree or for a D-Lock in it without worrying about scratches and such? I would. Therefore, Aluminium. Cheaper. Fits my pocket. That's why most responsible people drive Volvos and not Ferraris. Just saying.
Would you chain up your $3000 (aluminum) frame to a tree or use a D-lock on it without worrying about scratches and such? I wouldn't. Therefore, ride bike instead. Cheaper. Fits me. That's why most responsible people don't abuse their cars. Just saying.
Old 04-03-20, 03:44 PM
EnooN2C

Bikes: Specialized Allez E5 Comp

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Aluminium

I live in England so £ pound sterling. The other side of the Atlantic. Now English tho but thanks for reading my post.
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
Would you chain up your $3000 (aluminum) frame to a tree or use a D-lock on it without worrying about scratches and such? I wouldn't. Therefore, ride bike instead. Cheaper. Fits me. That's why most responsible people don't crash their cars. Just saying.
​​​​​​
Old 04-03-20, 04:13 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
No one has done more R&D with AL than Cannondale. I'd start with them. Actually, I did and ended up with a CAAD 12. I love this bike.
Old 04-03-20, 10:06 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by EnooN2C
I hate to break this to you, but Volvo owners don't own Ferraris because...they can't afford them. If that value proposition and utility works for you, great, you have declared it to the world. Folks with disposable income to buy $5k (£4k) and up bikes DNGAF about the value proposition of your Volvo-equivalent bike, mostly because they're capable of making their own choices, but also because the typical Ferrari owner has at least three other cars...all more expensive than a figurative Volvo.
Likes For bahula03: