Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What Color Bar Tape?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What Color Bar Tape?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-20, 09:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Kabuki12 Like what you got. Wouldn't change it.
Old 07-02-20, 10:05 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by P!N20
Cinelli splash. Can't go wrong.

Old 07-02-20, 11:28 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
I'd say gold myself, but only if it matches. I'm putting blue tape on my white C'Dale with blue lettering. And blue housing too. Since it is for my daughter it is all about the looks.
I know who to look for out there now too. That Basso is hard to miss. Maybe we need to do a vintage ride and I can bring out my Zilioli. Italian frame and all Campy SR pantograph. Not as clean as the Basso though.
The Loto photographs well, but up close it has plenty of little imperfections... perfect for carefree and hard riding. I'd definitely be down for an appropriately socially distanced vintage ride or meet up. I've been trying to meet noglider for a while now, without success.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
I went maroon on one, yellow on another. And have tried Pale Blue and Light Grey - which both often get mistaken as white-ish.
always cloth on vintage, generally Neebaums..
I really like that Pale Blue, and the Grey as well. Cloth tape is great, but I usually like a little more cushion and tacky grip for colder weather.

Originally Posted by juvela
-----
all of these posts, discussion and pictures yet you have not as yet let readers know what colour cable casing you envision employing...and no one has seen fit to inquire
there is a scrap of black poking out of the top tube in your pictures; is that going to be it?
-----
The piece of black is just a placeholder that came the the frame, but I'm planning on doing black anyway. I mentioned that I prefer black because my philosophy on cables is that they shouldn't draw too much attention. Just my own feeling on that (probably shaped by seeing too many ridiculous motorcycles with garish and bright brake lines, which always made me opt for a stock grey). Perhaps blue would blend in even more than black, but matching the exact blue would no doubt be impossible.

Originally Posted by P!N20
Cinelli splash. Can't go wrong.
I respectfully beg to differ.

Originally Posted by SJX426
My first impression was blue. That may be too much. White works as long as it is Fizik. I tried the Fizik tape on the Pinarello and am impressed by how well it stays white. It has been 6 years and it still is very acceptable. This picture is from 2018 with 4 years on it. Lots of commuting, probably 5k miles. This is the 2mm thick stuff.
Which type of Fizik tape is it? As I mentioned, I like my tape a little more tacky (like I do on my tennis racquets). I tried some Deda Mistral tape, and while it looks nice and stays pretty clean, it has virtually no grip to it. More recently I tried the 3T Corius Team and so far I really like it. Very tacky.
Old 07-02-20, 12:03 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

all of these posts, discussion and pictures yet you have not as yet let readers know what colour cable casing you envision employing...and no one has seen fit to inquire

there is a scrap of black poking out of the top tube in your pictures; is that going to be it?

-----
The piece of black is just a placeholder that came the the frame, but I'm planning on doing black anyway. I mentioned that I prefer black because my philosophy on cables is that they shouldn't draw too much attention. Just my own feeling on that (probably shaped by seeing too many ridiculous motorcycles with garish and bright brake lines, which always made me opt for a stock grey). Perhaps blue would blend in even more than black, but matching the exact blue would no doubt be impossible.
I'm the opposite I guess. I want to make my bike 'POP!' with some color if possible -- just make it unique in a sea of sameness. Call it personal expression. That's why I went yellow housing and tape on my '86 Miyata (gray with yellow headtube).

Last edited by Cougrrcj; 07-02-20 at 08:49 PM.
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 07-02-20, 01:03 PM
mackgoo

Bikes: 87 Bianchi X4, 95 Bianchi Ti Mega Tube, 06 Alan Carbon Cross X33, Gold plated Columbus AIR Guerciotti, 74 Galmozzi Super Competizione, 52 Bianchi Paris Roubaix.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 166 Posts
I'm in the gold camp.
Likes For mackgoo:
Old 07-02-20, 01:30 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
robertorolfo https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...rotex-bar-tape
Old 07-02-20, 02:12 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I'm the opposite I guess. I want to make my bike 'POP!' with some color if possible -- just make it unique in a sea of sameness. Call it personal expression. That's why I went yellow housing and tape on my '86 Miyata (gray with yellow headtube).
Hey, horses for courses. Everyone has their own style, and that's cool. I only give the black bar tape/black saddle crowd a hard time if they are doing it as a conservative choice, rather than some strong style preference. Even if your style is a little strange, at least you are making an effort.

I guess my personal preferences have always been influenced by the world of racing (for both bikes and motorcycles). To me, anything being raced by the fastest in the world seems to exude "cool" and "fast."

As for what is classic or original, Daccordi have a lot of neat old catalogs on their facebook page, and as you can see below, there wasn't any black bar tape in sight (keeping in mind this is an early to mid '90s model):

Thanks for the link. I'll keep it in mind next time I'm ordering.
Old 12-10-20, 01:21 PM
robertorolfo

Update!

Well, after a move (that included a nice upgrade in workspace) and a few other distractions, I finally completed the Daccordi Opera build. I'll post some better pics when I can take them in the wild, but for now I wanted to show what I ended up doing in terms of bar tape. This is a gold tape by Deda, and I'm actually pretty happy with the results. I think it matches the gold lettering and accents pretty well. And please forgive me for the bright blue "hudz" currently on the bike. They came with the Chorus 10sp brifters (a pretty cheap "for parts" set that I rebuilt and are now working brilliantly), and I'll get some proper hoods on there ASAP.

Likes For robertorolfo:
Old 12-10-20, 01:57 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
I'm a color pop kinda o guy as well, as since my saddles are all black, i usually try to match the bar tape to any logos or frame highlight colors. i think the gold you found is a good match even though it's not to my taste. i would have said yellow, like some people earlier in the thread. red could have been a choice, depending on the shade, maybe
Likes For the sci guy:
Old 12-10-20, 04:19 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Looks great! The blue hood look fine, at least in this lighting. What color hoods are you considering?

A black Flite works on any racy classic.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 12-10-20, 05:33 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Perfect choices!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 12-10-20, 06:15 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
I think it looks good! If you do change your mind and go yellow later, I think that might be even better. No it doesn't match the decals exactly, which are more gold, but I was in a similar boat with the Voyageur shown in my avatar. There are some small red decals that in certain light appear deeper than they are. I went with burgundy bar wrap because red would have been too loud. Burgundy is much more subdued but does a good job at bringing out the small red details in the frame.
Old 12-10-20, 06:16 PM
robertorolfo

Originally Posted by KCT1986
Looks great! The blue hood look fine, at least in this lighting. What color hoods are you considering?
A black Flite works on any racy classic.
I was thinking about the regular black Campagnolo hoods (which should go well with the saddle, cables and black wall tires).

And this is my first Flite, as I wanted to try it for myself. So far I'm not completely in love with it, but I'm going to play with the tilt a little bit to see if that helps.
Old 12-10-20, 07:15 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
When I used a Flite, I liked the front top level with the very back top. Rode a Concor for a long time and got used to this setup with a saddle that had a "scallop" just back of center.

Good luck and hope it works out for you.
Likes For KCT1986: