Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Can rotate seat post, but it won't extract or insert in the seat tube.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-22, 05:31 AM
Myron

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Hello. Hope someone can help me with a situation I've got with a cycle. I have two cycles where on one I've managed to raise the seat post with some difficulty and on the other cycle the seat is stuck down, yet on both cycles I can very easily turn the seat-post round. (Obviously with the QR clamp released.) Does anyone have any good tips on how to release the stuck seat-post so I can raise it out of the other cycle? These are new cycles.

It looks like on the seat-tube I managed to raise that there is burring (if I've used the right word) along the length of the seat-tube.

I can't post any pictures at the moment as this is my first post.
Old 05-31-22, 05:56 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
What are the materials of the frames and seat posts? Use a magnet to determine if anything is steel. Have you used penetrating oil yet?

One method involves a bench vise and a helper, with the wheels removed and the seat post in the vise.
Old 05-31-22, 06:33 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
Originally Posted by Myron
I can very easily turn the seat-post round.
Throw in whatever can seep into there, motor oil, even WD40 will work here since it's not seized stuck.
Old 05-31-22, 06:41 AM
soyabean

Originally Posted by andrewclaus
One method involves a bench vise and a helper, with the wheels removed and the seat post in the vise.
Why would the OP have to do that if the bikes are brand new and the seatpost does turn?
Old 05-31-22, 06:53 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
Why would the OP have to do that if the bikes are brand new and the seatpost does turn?
The vise holds the seatpost and the frame gives you a big handle to turn & pull. Much bigger than holding the frame and pulling on the seatpost.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-31-22, 07:41 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
I think if the bikes are new, you should take it back to the shop and let them handle it since even though this is a pretty simple problem if anything were to get damaged while you were trying to remove the posts, they could claim it was your fault and leave you with the cost of repair/replacement.
Old 05-31-22, 12:35 PM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Yes. They are new. That is what is going to happen. I just don't understand how its happened. Didn't think about using a magnet to see of it's steel aluminium or some sort of alloy.
Old 05-31-22, 01:20 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
Throw in whatever can seep into there, motor oil, even WD40 will work here since it's not seized stuck.
I totally missed the sentence about them being new. Poor reading comprehension that early in the morning I guess.
Old 06-01-22, 02:27 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm going to ask a daft question. Are there seat posts that have circular burring along the length of the seat-post as opposes to smooth seat-posts? (It would be easier to show the issue, but I can't put up a picture until I've written 10 posts minimum.)
Old 06-01-22, 06:21 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 2,054 Posts
I'm going to ask a daft question. Are there seat posts that have circular burring along the length of the seat-post as opposes to smooth seat-posts? (It would be easier to show the issue, but I can't put up a picture until I've written 10 posts minimum.)
Yes.
Old 06-01-22, 08:23 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dedhed
The vise holds the seatpost and the frame gives you a big handle to turn & pull. Much bigger than holding the frame and pulling on the seatpost.
Thank-you for that advise.
Old 06-01-22, 08:58 AM
soyabean

Thank-you for that advise.
This is a very BAD "advise" to follow for a new bike.

Go back to the LBS (preferred where you purchased the bikes from), they will figure it out.
Old 06-01-22, 10:13 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
This is a very BAD "advise" to follow for a new bike.

Go back to the LBS (preferred where you purchased the bikes from), they will figure it out.
I'm a newbie MIAS L3 cycle mechanic and part of this is the issue I have now and the other part is CPD. The reason I'm trying to find out how to do this for myself is when I have any inclusive cycling sessions running, if I end-up with a seat post stuck down then I can, hopefully, free it, but yes, understandable that this should not happen. As far as I'm aware this stuck down seat-post is not due to the set post being pushed too far down into the seat-tube. Plus, I don't think I would like to crush the seat tube in a vice which could make the clamped part of the seat-post oval. Oval does not fit into a circle and I think if that happened then the seat-tube would be truly jammed in.

By rights it should be a trained member of staff that would be adjusting the bike, but I can see someone trying to adjust a bike that should not when I'm not looking.
Old 06-01-22, 10:16 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Four more posts from me and I'll be able to show everyone on this thread the condition of the seat tube. :-)
Old 06-01-22, 10:23 AM
soyabean

The reason I'm trying to find out how to do this for myself is when I have any inclusive cycling sessions running, if I end-up with a seat post stuck down then I can, hopefully, free it
I learned a bit from a friendly LBS.

I learned a lot more when working for a LBS.

I get my knowledge from whereever I can.

I would be a fool to refuse hands-on knowledge that could be easily obtained locally.
Old 06-08-22, 03:08 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Finally I can show you what the issue is with this pesky seat post.

Old 06-08-22, 05:24 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
I'm not seeing the issue. The circumferential texture is from machining during manufacture.

Your post & seat tube should be greased though. Any generic plain bearing grease ought to work well enough to prevent binding. Your bike shop should have applied it during assembly.

(I'll reserve judgement whether or not your bike shop is reputable for another time.)

Seeing that they couldn't bother to take the time to properly grease the seat post, you may want to take it upon yourself inspect & grease all the other thread interfaces on the bike to prevent a lot of future heartache.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 06-13-22, 03:10 AM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Now there is a good question. I will check this today. Won't be able to check this on the second cycle where the seat post is stuck down, but will try again to free it Bike shop is a reputable one. The leisure trust I work for had purchased numerous things from that and there have not been any problems.
Old 06-13-22, 03:34 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Plus, I don't think I would like to crush the seat tube in a vice which could make the clamped part of the seat-post oval. Oval does not fit into a circle and I think if that happened then the seat-tube would be truly jammed in.
1) better seat posts usually have an integrated saddle clamp. Hold this in the vise to avoid ovalizing the seat post.
2) I’ve got some split wooden blocks with seatpost-sized holes in them which allows me to clamp simple seat posts w/o ovalizing them.
3) to ovalize a seat post to the point of making it (more) stuck or damaging the seat tube, you’d basically have to grasp it right outside the seat tube. If you clamp it 4” away, it’s not a problem.
Likes For dabac:
Old 08-06-22, 02:49 PM
Myron

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Problem was solved at a cycle workshop, but there where four cycle mechanics hanging off the cycle. I'm guessing two holding on and the other two pulling at the seat.
Seems the bottom of the seat-post got stuck on a weld within the down-tube. Seat post was shortened. I had no chance of doing this myself.

Case now closed. :-)