Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling
Reload this Page >

Surly Cross Check for long distance/endurance/light touring?

Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Old 10-19-20, 08:49 AM
Tiestotti

Bikes: Mercier Kilo WT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 5 Posts

I used to do mostly all of my riding on an aluminum Trek Emonda which I sold, mainly because it was the wrong size, and ever since, I have been wanting to build a bicycle that I can use for long distance, endurance rides, and some decent fast rides on pavement and paved trails. I hope to be able to use it for brevets as well in the future. My wish list is basically as follows:

-Steel frame

-Rack eyelets

-Big tire clearance

-Shimano 105 group set

Before I go any further, I appreciate value, so I am not looking for expensive custom builds or unreasonably expensive fancy bikes. So with that in mind, I have been considering the Surly Cross Check for more than a year now, but I just have a couple of doubts based on the reviews I read, which are weight, chain stay length, and reach. I had the chance to test ride one earlier this year, and I did not feel too stretched at all, which I liked.

Again with the list above, and my desire for a value build, I was able to play around online with components, wheels, etc., and I think I can build a Cross Check as I desired, and still keep it to a very reasonable price tag. There are other, probably better options like Straggler, the Midnight special or the All-City Zig Zag 105, but they would be considerably more expensive than building up a Cross Check. Most other manufacturers are either too low-specced for my taste, too expensive, or given the current pandemic, are out of stock of pretty much anything, like Soma.

So I ask, is a Surly Cross Check worth building up in 2020 as a pavement bicycle for long distance, endurance, and rides on pavement, while still maintaining a decent speed? Are there any other, value-oriented alternatives that do not involve a 27" wheel and 126mm rear spacing? Thank you for any input!
Old 10-19-20, 09:28 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I don’t own a Cross Check, but it would certainly make my short list for such a bike and be a solid choice, The bike that currently fills the fast touring niche in my “fleet” is a Orange-Velo Passhunter. For All City I think I would favor the Space Horse over the zigzag. Rivendell Roadini, as they sometimes go on sale, might fit the bill depending on how set you on having 650B vs 700C, not as good a tourer as the other choices being a lighter frame but fast and lively on the pavement and perhaps a better choice for 200-400km audax than the other guys. That said, it is always best to buy what is the best fit for you today, and worry about what you might do in the future later. Almost any bike is capable of a 200km audax.

None of these builds will be particularly light. 105 and other mid-range components would probably get you around 25-26lbs before adding fenders and racks.
Old 10-20-20, 09:46 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Cross-check is one of the most versatile frames you can get, and I've seen a few of them on brevets, but if I were in the market for a budget brevet bike, I'd be looking at complete bikes, Masi Randonneur, Velo Routier, or one of the many gravel or touring bikes. If I were building a bike up from a frame it wouldn't be a cross check or have any shimano parts.
Old 10-20-20, 02:02 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by billridesbikes
I don’t own a Cross Check, but it would certainly make my short list for such a bike and be a solid choice, The bike that currently fills the fast touring niche in my “fleet” is a Orange-Velo Passhunter. For All City I think I would favor the Space Horse over the zigzag. Rivendell Roadini, as they sometimes go on sale, might fit the bill depending on how set you on having 650B vs 700C, not as good a tourer as the other choices being a lighter frame but fast and lively on the pavement and perhaps a better choice for 200-400km audax than the other guys. That said, it is always best to buy what is the best fit for you today, and worry about what you might do in the future later. Almost any bike is capable of a 200km audax.

None of these builds will be particularly light. 105 and other mid-range components would probably get you around 25-26lbs before adding fenders and racks.
That is good point just realized. I definitely would want my build to feel a bit faster, and maybe a bit lighter when unloaded and without bags and racks.
Old 10-20-20, 02:12 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

If you want a light bike with wide tires just get a gravel bike and strap on a 10-12 l saddle pack for brevets. Heckuva lot easier and cheaper than building your own bike from scratch.
Old 10-20-20, 02:34 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
If you want a light bike with wide tires just get a gravel bike and strap on a 10-12 l saddle pack for brevets. Heckuva lot easier and cheaper than building your own bike from scratch.
Not as much fun, however. But a good choice nevertheless.
Old 10-20-20, 07:00 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
... The bike that currently fills the fast touring niche in my “fleet” is a Orange-Velo Passhunter. ...
There are several Pass Hunter versions. Bought my rim brake version frame in December, 2015. Widest tire I can fit under the fenders is 32mm. Based on that, I would not recommend my version of the Pass Hunter to the OP since he is looking for wider tires. That said, I really like my Pass Hunter but I have other bikes that can take wider tires.
Old 10-21-20, 07:57 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Not as much fun, however...
I agree but at least do something interesting to make it worth the effort and expense. A105 crosscheck strikes me as a very ordinary bike. Nothing wrong with that, but if I want an ordinary bike, I'll just buy one the dozens available off the peg.
Likes For kingston:
Old 10-22-20, 08:32 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts
I was about to hit the button on a demo Riv Clem. A super low mileage Cross Check came up local. Very similar, 1/3 the money. A year later, still very satisfied with the bike.
Likes For gorillimo:
Old 10-22-20, 10:17 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Right now, there is a very real issue of what you can get your hands on. A complete bike that meets your needs might be better because parts availability is spotty
Old 11-08-20, 08:08 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by unterhausen
Right now, there is a very real issue of what you can get your hands on. A complete bike that meets your needs might be better because parts availability is spotty
man I totally abandonded this thread for a while.

I agree with you. I’m not having much luck finding complete bikes. I’m still waiting for something decent to be back in stock that I can fet my hands on for cheap
Likes For Tiestotti:
Old 11-08-20, 08:09 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by gorillimo
I was about to hit the button on a demo Riv Clem. A super low mileage Cross Check came up local. Very similar, 1/3 the money. A year later, still very satisfied with the bike.
very nice bike. I currently have a similar setup...on my single speed. I don’t hate it but it would be nice to have more than one gear. That is why I was looking at building a CC
Old 11-09-20, 07:48 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiestotti
... I’m not having much luck finding complete bikes. I’m still waiting for something decent to be back in stock that I can fet my hands on for cheap
Global supply chains are still a mess. I read an article yesterday that shipping containers for container ships are in short supply, delaying shipments of everything that has to cross an ocean. And bikes and bike parts are in extra short supply since people see that as an alternative to mass transit or a way to enjoy the outdoors.

Maybe come winter when there is snow on the ground in much of the US, things will get better and more stock can get in?
Old 11-09-20, 08:08 AM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Global supply chains are still a mess. I read an article yesterday that shipping containers for container ships are in short supply, delaying shipments of everything that has to cross an ocean. And bikes and bike parts are in extra short supply since people see that as an alternative to mass transit or a way to enjoy the outdoors.

Maybe come winter when there is snow on the ground in much of the US, things will get better and more stock can get in?
yea I got tired of calling stores and getting the same answer, “sometime next year,” and then the few used bikes left on the marketplace or offer up are priced at a premium as well. I will just continue to ride my single speed until the the supply chain is restored somehow to pre-pandemic times and I can find a reasonably priced bike then
Old 11-09-20, 10:08 AM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
A friend of mine just ordered a Masi Speciale Randonneur Elite. Steel frame, 105 drivetrain, 650b, and includes fenders and dynamo lighting for like $1700.

I don't think he's received it yet but it seems like a good deal.
Likes For samkl:
Old 11-14-20, 01:49 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
You might consider a vintage bike and then put a modern 105 group on it. A sport tourer built for 27 inch wheels will have room for pretty big 700c tires. There was a Fuji Del Ray on CL in your neck of the woods for 100 bucks. Double eyelets in back and single up front. I did have a CC for a few years and would still have it but it was stollen. I replaced it with a Milwaukee Road.
Old 11-18-20, 10:43 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
I had a Cross Check as my do it all commuter/tourer/weekend group ride bike for 15 years. It was great mechanically ( I did wear out most of the original parts and replace them eventually), but the geometry is a little "different". In my 20's the long top tube and low stack height worked. Eventually I got old and fat and needed something with more stack height. I moved all the parts except the brakes from it to a Soma Pescadero frame a couple years ago. It is a nice comfortable road/touring bike, but lacks a little of the Cross Check attitude that makes you want to bomb trails and jump it off stairs. Maybe that is me getting old also...
Old 11-18-20, 11:44 AM
squarenoise 

Bikes: Raleigh Competition GS, Freschi Supreme, Miyata 1000, Trek 520, Marin Pine Mountain, Specialized RockCombo, Soma Smoothie, Surly Cross-Check

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 104 Posts
So I have a Soma Smoothie with carbon fork, 11 speed Compact Campagnolo group as my "go fast" bike. I've put thousands of miles on it and set many personal records (speed, length of ride, elevation, etc). A few years ago, one of my riding buddies bought a All City Space Horse and wanted to start focusing on gravel rides. The Soma with 28c max tire clearance was just not cutting it. I had a 9 speed Compact Campagnolo group in the parts bin so I bought a Surly Cross Check and built it up with 43c GravelKings. I had read about Surly frames being "beasts", but wasn't too worried about it as I'm a bigger guy anyway. Anyhow, the Cross Check absolutely slays and I've since matched or broken many of my efforts made on the Smoothie. Both bikes are great and serve their proposes, but if I had a time machine, I would have skipped the Smoothie altogether and just went with the Cross Check. It truly is a great "do it all" bike.
Likes For squarenoise:
Old 11-29-20, 04:15 PM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 178 Posts
I set up my Cross Check as a Brevet bike about 10 years ago. It seemed like an ideal choice at the time and I gave it a season of riding rando events. It wasn't really fun to ride though and I often felt that it seemed kind of "dead" while riding it. In the end I did not like it for that purpose and decommissioned it as a rando bike. I think that there are better choices for an entry to mid-level rando bike.
Old 12-05-20, 08:15 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by samkl
A friend of mine just ordered a Masi Speciale Randonneur Elite. Steel frame, 105 drivetrain, 650b, and includes fenders and dynamo lighting for like $1700.

I like it, but I would be nervous about the geometry
Old 12-05-20, 08:17 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by Classtime
You might consider a vintage bike and then put a modern 105 group on it. A sport tourer built for 27 inch wheels will have room for pretty big 700c tires. There was a Fuji Del Ray on CL in your neck of the woods for 100 bucks. Double eyelets in back and single up front. I did have a CC for a few years and would still have it but it was stollen. I replaced it with a Milwaukee Road.
yea I’ve been exploring that route as well. Lately, it seems a few more bikes are popping up online so it may be worth to continue looking for a decent vintage bike
Old 12-05-20, 08:19 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
I had a Cross Check as my do it all commuter/tourer/weekend group ride bike for 15 years. It was great mechanically ( I did wear out most of the original parts and replace them eventually), but the geometry is a little "different". In my 20's the long top tube and low stack height worked. Eventually I got old and fat and needed something with more stack height. I moved all the parts except the brakes from it to a Soma Pescadero frame a couple years ago. It is a nice comfortable road/touring bike, but lacks a little of the Cross Check attitude that makes you want to bomb trails and jump it off stairs. Maybe that is me getting old also...
thank you for your comment. I actually found it really helpful. Yea I guess I haven’t considered the long reach as an issue for when I get older, so I guess that’s something else to consider. Thanks again!
Old 12-05-20, 08:22 PM
Tiestotti

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I In the end I did not like it for that purpose and decommissioned it as a rando bike. I think that there are better choices for an entry to mid-level rando bike.
I have actually read that a few times online. I understand there are better choices for rando bikes, i just figured it would he a decent platform for a do it all type of bike
Old 12-24-20, 11:56 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl

This would be an excellent choice for the OP! Also Jamis Renegade S2 or a Bombtrack Hook 2.

For the longer distances a carbon fork makes a huge difference in ride comfort.
Old 12-25-20, 04:25 AM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
Veloci out of Taiwan has the disc steel frame&fork Disco 80's. Same frame with carbon fork in the DiscoKing.

Similar long'ish and low front end as the Cross Check, but with a 70mm bbdrop. Takes a 40mm or so.