Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

First speed wobble crash

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

First speed wobble crash

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 07:07 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
'Best' can well be misleading here. These riders often sacrifice safety to highest speed. Like they sit on the top tube, which is now against race regulations I understand. Here she obviously didn't keep the saddle stabilized between her thighs, else it couldn't oscillate like it does in the video.
“Best” meaning they have top end bike handling skills. Ever see the time Peter Sagan bunny hopped his bike over a rider that fell on the cobbles in Paris Roubaix? That = best.

So if you think Chloe Dygert doesn’t have “best in class” bike handling skills, then I’m not quite sure what to say. When you get into a resonance state, if she can’t get out of it, then pretty much the rest of the cycling population
couldn’t either. From the slo-mo I looked at, it’s pretty clear she was approaching resonance or certainly under damped. Most of the issue here was equipment, IMO.

It’s pretty clear what happened from the video. You can see it directly. She’s in a sweeping right hand curve, her front tire hits a pavement imperfection that starts an oscillation in the frame and pops her even more forward. She has to straighten out because of the oscillation and runs out of road when she hits the guard rail as the curve cuts her off.

Arguably, the frame should not have oscillated from a normal road imperfection yet that’s what happened. If she couldn’t get it back under control, I’m sure I couldn't have. She was waaaaay ahead on the clock at that time, I doubt she was past the edge of control for her on that bike.

It’s interesting that she’s switches bike sponsors. Maybe they couldn’t satisfy her that they’d found the problem. Then again, maybe it’s just a better financial deal. All I know, from an engineering perspective, if I were her I’d have to have a pretty compelling case made for me that they found the root cause before I’d get back on that frame design again in a race.
Old 06-20-21, 10:46 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
As you put it, yes. I am not disputing top bike handling skills. But it still stands that pro racers (and not just them) often put safety second to speed. Why would that descending style where you sit on the top tube (conveniently sloping to allow that use to great profit) be ruled as not allowed in pro racing (actually didn't follow that up, but there was talk to that effect it won't be allowed).

But tucking down on the top tube is unsafe for a different reason. But if you get the wobble effect in this position, then you are also screwed.

Her saddle clearly developped strong sideways oscillations, ergo she didn't have it squeezed between legs. I rest my case here.

I recall from two years ago in TDF (I think), one rider went down on flat straight road, for no apparent reason, like he was chopped down. Luckily he took nobody else with him. It looked like his front wheel got turned ninety degrees in a blink... I suppose ^&* happens on bikes engineered to or rather, perhaps, ridden to extremes.

Mind you, it doesn't follow that spending most of your life on a bike, like a pro racers do will somehow give you superior bike handling skills. Else why some would be touted as having poor(er) bike handling skills (usually descending) when compared to other pro racers and its not that they ride the bike any less than others they are compared to (gets noted frequently in race commentary). Many people have those skills like Sagan while not racing bikes at all. BTW I am his fan, in part also because he is almost my countryman.

Last edited by vane171; 06-20-21 at 11:13 PM.
Old 06-21-21, 07:23 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171

Mind you, it doesn't follow that spending most of your life on a bike, like a pro racers do will somehow give you superior bike handling skills. Else why some would be touted as having poor(er) bike handling skills (usually descending) when compared to other pro racers and its not that they ride the bike any less than others they are compared to (gets noted frequently in race commentary). Many people have those skills like Sagan while not racing bikes at all. BTW I am his fan, in part also because he is almost my countryman.
Some pros look very uncomfortable while descending. Others have great skills. I agree all pros are not that great at bike handling, but most are going to be considerably better than average. There's probably just a lot more overlap between pros and non-pros when it comes to bike handling skills rather than fitness/power. Speed wobbles don't seem to be a major problem in the pro-peloton or out in the normal world for that matter. But I would imagine they are more likely to be an issue for a nervous stiff descender than someone with a more relaxed body, pro or not.
Old 06-21-21, 05:18 PM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Some pros look very uncomfortable while descending. Others have great skills. I agree all pros are not that great at bike handling, but most are going to be considerably better than average. There's probably just a lot more overlap between pros and non-pros when it comes to bike handling skills rather than fitness/power. Speed wobbles don't seem to be a major problem in the pro-peloton or out in the normal world for that matter. But I would imagine they are more likely to be an issue for a nervous stiff descender than someone with a more relaxed body, pro or not.
It's not a bike handling or skill issue.

I was not a pro, but started racing in the early 80's & was a solid Cat 2 into my 40's. Primarily Crits & some track, some results in the early mountain bike scene. I considered myself a very good bike handler and had a reputation as such among my peers. My hobby outside of cycling was sport bikes ( I'm currently bringing an older 900SS back to life). I was a very competent & fast rider. I was never stiff or nervous in any situation until I started to struggle with wobbles, it was a side effect of them not a cause.

I can say that even if you manage to fix the root cause, once it's in your head it is a tough thing to shake.
Old 06-21-21, 05:42 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76

I was not a pro, but started racing in the early 80's & was a solid Cat 2 into my 40's. Primarily Crits & some track, some results in the early mountain bike scene. I considered myself a very good bike handler and had a reputation as such among my peers. My hobby outside of cycling was sport bikes ( I'm currently bringing an older 900SS back to life). I was a very competent & fast rider. I was never stiff or nervous in any situation until I started to struggle with wobbles, it was a side effect of them not a cause.

I can say that even if you manage to fix the root cause, once it's in your head it is a tough thing to shake.
Incredibly true! I used to do a lot of sport biking and track days. One hard crash has you second-guessing and gets into your head for a long time. Oh, I love those old Ducs!! The 900 SS was fantastic.
Old 06-22-21, 10:05 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4393 Post(s)
Liked 4,837 Times in 2,991 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76

I’m not disagreeing, but did you have more wobble problems once you started getting spooked by them?
Old 06-22-21, 10:24 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I’m not disagreeing, but did you have more wobble problems once you started getting spooked by them?
Oh absolutely. Speed wobble lives rent free in my head, no doubt. The confidence went away very quickly and returns very slowly (if ever).