Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Argon Krypton vs. Specialized Roubaix

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 06-28-21, 06:04 PM
mosum

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

At pretty much the same price point between the two:

Argon 18 Krypton GF

Specialized Roubaix Expert

I'm looking for comments about their unique value over the other. Other than their differences in electronic groupsets and the associated gear ratios, any major differences that stand out to you? Which one is a better value?

Sorry, the system doesn't allow me to post URLs here until I post more often here.
Old 06-28-21, 07:43 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Well the Specialized has the Future Shock which is a major difference.

The bike that you feels the best to you should be the criteria, this notion of value seems off to me.

They are both great bikes, one from a Canadian company, the other from an American company. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 06-29-21, 06:08 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Argon if it were my money.
Old 06-29-21, 08:00 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
The Future Shock is a unique feature and it does make things more comfy on long rides with less than perfect pavement. Also you get a Specialized saddle and they are the gold standard today. I've never heard of Argon so you get bonus points for originality there.
Old 06-29-21, 11:21 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
If you ride a lot of crappy pavement, I'd go with the Roubaix for the future shock assuming it fits you well. It does make a big difference on long rides. If you're riding on good roads, and they both are good fits, go with whatever is more appealing.
Old 06-29-21, 11:39 AM
joeruge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 41 Posts
Wait...two noble gases on the same bike? That's a hard one to beat!
Likes For joeruge:
Old 06-29-21, 11:43 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
Its superman's new job... welding alloys.
Old 06-29-21, 02:06 PM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by joeruge
Perhaps they could fill it with Helium, and Light it up with Neon!
Old 07-01-21, 01:13 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
These 2 bikes are high up on my shortlist too. I'm leaning toward the Roubaix mainly for its unique front suspension. But our local roads are pretty crappy. I haven't had chance to ride either of them yet.
Old 07-01-21, 01:41 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1876 Post(s)
Liked 1,411 Times in 979 Posts
I was considering an Argon 18 Krypton GF too but its only seems to be available (if at all) with a SRAM groupset now.
Old 07-01-21, 04:07 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I think Roubaix is BSA bottom bracket versus BB86 on the Argon, which is a big deal for many. I recommend taking a close look at the stack and reach numbers, as Roubaix has typically been outside the average endurance geometry (more stack / less reach).

From the charts, Roubaix 58 stack is 644 while Argon offers "3D+" that they claim allows variation of 601-625, still quite a bit off from Roubaix.

If you do go the SRAM AXS route, I see Argon is using the DUB crank. Everything I've seen suggests even with DUB the bearings are kind of marginal for BB86 and traditional GXP might be better (though I know many folks dislike GXP design).

scott s.
Old 07-02-21, 07:18 AM
redcon1

Originally Posted by scott967
I think Roubaix is BSA bottom bracket versus BB86 on the Argon, which is a big deal for many. I recommend taking a close look at the stack and reach numbers, as Roubaix has typically been outside the average endurance geometry (more stack / less reach).

From the charts, Roubaix 58 stack is 644 while Argon offers "3D+" that they claim allows variation of 601-625, still quite a bit off from Roubaix.

If you do go the SRAM AXS route, I see Argon is using the DUB crank. Everything I've seen suggests even with DUB the bearings are kind of marginal for BB86 and traditional GXP might be better (though I know many folks dislike GXP design).

scott s.
Not much to input on BB, as I have had many in my cycling career and no problems with any of the standards.
According to specialized.com the current Roubaix Expert in 58cm has a Stack of 630mm and a Reach of 392mm.

Roubaix Expert | Specialized.com

My 2019 Expert Di2 - last of the previous-gen frames, with Future Shock 1.0, was fitted with Roval C38 wheels, a decent upgrade from the alloy DT Swiss wheelset fitted to the current Expert.
Looks like the Roubaix Pro is fitted with the Roval Alpinist carbon wheelset... excellent lightweight hoops, but also $7500 and equipped with SRAM Force e-TAP

Last edited by redcon1; 07-02-21 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-02-21, 07:41 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by scott967
Everything I've seen suggests even with DUB the bearings are kind of marginal for BB86 and traditional GXP might be better (though I know many folks dislike GXP design).
In actual practice the spindles are stiff(er than M30, BB30, and Shimano...can't compare to GXP). No idea on longevity, one of mine has 7000km (mostly decent weather) on it, and the other has 2500km (mostly gravel and foul weather). But they spin nice.
Old 07-02-21, 08:16 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I'd think the Krypton GS compares more with the Specialized Tarmac than the Roubaix. At least going by frame stack. You can get a lower more aero position on the Krypton than the Roubaix.
Old 07-02-21, 09:41 AM
redcon1

Originally Posted by Iride01
I'd think the Krypton GS compares more with the Specialized Tarmac than the Roubaix. At least going by frame stack. You can get a lower more aero position on the Krypton than the Roubaix.
You'd think wrong. The Krypton GF is the direct competitor to the Roubaix, with room for up to 34mm tires not able to fit on the Tarmac. And the Tarmac SL7 in 58cm shows a stack height of only 581mm -- lower than the Krypton and zero adjustment as with Argon18's 3D+ system.
Old 07-02-21, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
You'd think wrong. The Krypton GF is the direct competitor to the Roubaix, with room for up to 34mm tires not able to fit on the Tarmac. And the Tarmac SL7 in 58cm shows a stack height of only 581mm -- lower than the Krypton and zero adjustment as with Argon18's 3D+ system.
I don't think I'm thinking wrong. Using Medium or 56cm frames size for comparison, the Roubaix frame stack is 605 mm. The Krypton will get you down to a stack of 580 mm. So it's going towards the Tarmac's frame stack of 555 mm than the Roubaix IMO. At it's max stack height with whatever 3D+ is, it'll only get you to within 2 mm of the Roubaix at it's minimum stack.

The other things you mentioned are good points the OP needs to consider, however the range of stack heights is probably one of the most important things to weed out a bike model first. Otherwise if they are wanting a more upright position and purchase a Krypton or even a Tarmac, then they'll be putting kooky looking extensions on their steerer tube along with weirdly angled stems. And be posting in the fit sub-forum asking how to make their bad choice of bike models fit better.
Old 07-02-21, 10:11 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by mosum
At pretty much the same price point between the two:

Argon 18 Krypton GF
Specialized Roubaix Expert

I'm looking for comments about their unique value over the other. Other than their differences in electronic groupsets and the associated gear ratios, any major differences that stand out to you? Which one is a better value? Sorry, the system doesn't allow me to post URLs here until I post more often here.
It maybe different where you live but round here, everyone has a Spec. If it were me I'd go with the Argon as there aren't that many around.
Old 07-02-21, 10:21 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 3,982 Times in 1,415 Posts
I've got over 14,000 miles on my 2020 Roubaix Expert. I own another bike with the FutureShock 2. My back and neck are a little sensitive to getting bounced around. Even on decent roads, for rides over 30 miles or so, I can tell a marked difference when I have the FS set to soft, and when I have it locked out. I really like the Roval C38 wheels on the Roubaix, too. I haven't even had to true them in those 14,000 miles.

I'd looked at the Argon 18, but could only find it online at the time. Seems like a nice bike. If you don't think you would benefit from the FutureShock, I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with the Argon 18.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 07-02-21, 05:47 PM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4273 Post(s)
Liked 4,712 Times in 2,911 Posts
Originally Posted by redcon1
Agreed, they are both billed as endurance road/race bikes. The Krypton in size L (58) has a wide stack range from 601-625 depending on which head tube spacer you fit, compared to 630 for the Roubaix and 581 for the SL7. So while the Krypton does have the ability to run the front lower if you wish, it is more comparable with the Roubaix than the SL7. Both the Roubaix and the Krypton have been raced by pros on the cobbles. So they are literally direct competitors!
Likes For PeteHski: