Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Stolen THULE T2 Pro XT hitch rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Stolen THULE T2 Pro XT hitch rack

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 06:27 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
My apologies for raising an unfortunate incident and a zombie thread from the dead...

I've been researching a new bike rack and I'm hesitant about buying a Thule due to the lack of a decent locking mechanism. I saw one reference that said thieves can take a tow strap and attach it to a mounted rack and just yank it out of the hitch with their vehicle. No defeating of locks needed. Perfect.

My question..do you or anyone know if this rack can be mounted to a hitch using a standard hitch-pin lock? Or is there too much of Thule's own locking mechanism in the way and a hitch pin can't run through it?
The Thule mechanism is in the way, so you can't use a standard hitch pin lock.

I purchased the Thule Helium Platform rack which uses the same method to attach to the trailer hitch and has the same locking mechanism. About two weeks ago someone tried to steal my rack but didn't succeed. They managed to pull the safety pin out and pull the rack back but didn't get it out all the way. I was on a ride at the time and noticed it when I got back to my car.

This experience will not stop me from using this rack or trying to find a secondary locking solution like placing it in my trunk when I am gone. I consider it a calculated risk when owning a bike and bike rack. You try to minimize risk to the best of your ability but if someone wants something bad enough, they will steal it.
Old 08-15-21, 08:02 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
The Thule mechanism is in the way, so you can't use a standard hitch pin lock.

I purchased the Thule Helium Platform rack which uses the same method to attach to the trailer hitch and has the same locking mechanism. About two weeks ago someone tried to steal my rack but didn't succeed. They managed to pull the safety pin out and pull the rack back but didn't get it out all the way. I was on a ride at the time and noticed it when I got back to my car.

This experience will not stop me from using this rack or trying to find a secondary locking solution like placing it in my trunk when I am gone. I consider it a calculated risk when owning a bike and bike rack. You try to minimize risk to the best of your ability but if someone wants something bad enough, they will steal it.

Can't use a regular hitch pin lock..that's what I was afraid of. This leaves Thule out (for me..in a new purchase). I like the 1UP carrier, but would prefer a strap mechanism to secure the rear tire as some of my bikes have rear racks. 1UP has a hard time keeping up with orders now..I doubt they'll be coming out with any new models soon. Yakima looks flimsy. This leaves Kuat.
Old 08-15-21, 08:54 AM
RedConveyor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for this. Thieves suck, and we all REALLY want to thwart them. But we have to consider the tradeoffs - how much time and money are we spending in the process, and will it really be effective? Some effort is clearly worth it, but not every effort. We just have to keep the balance in mind.
Old 08-15-21, 12:06 PM
davidjaxson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I just purchased the same rack a few weeks ago and am just assembling it. I am thinking of drilling the current pin fitting hole a bit larger and through the opposite side in order to install a traditional receiver hitch pin lock for a bit more security.

Last edited by davidjaxson; 08-15-21 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-15-21, 01:14 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

eja_ bottecchia I was responding to your post and it just evaporated..no idea where it went..

Nice looking setup now!

Crickets from Thule customer service..hmm..crickets isn't great given $750-$850 for a bike carrier.

I did more research into the 1UP this morning and I think I'm going to go with the heavy duty 2 bike model. Not only is it made in the USA..It's made in my home state, so that helps. It looks like I can adjust it to fit the couple bikes with rear racks. One is my GF's touring/gravel bike and the rear rack is a wider touring model. The 1UP rear tire rail will fit inside it. On my gravel-all-rounder bike I can drop the crossbar down a set of holes and it'll clear the rack I think..just grab lower on the tire. I ran across some posts on a forum this morning and the universal opinion at 5+ years of use is that it still works like new. Not only that, it's a couple hundred $ less than other options I was looking at. Works for me.

Even without the theft/yank it out of a hitch issue with the Thule, I wasn't fond of just hand tightening down the hitch insert to secure it in place (along with the pin backup). Again, thefts aside, the design must be working for them as it continues. I've done a lot of towing..the mechanical aspect of a locking hitch pin is just too easy and effective to design out so someone doesn't have to bend down and secure their hitch now and then.
Old 08-17-21, 06:45 AM
blakcloud

Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Can't use a regular hitch pin lock..that's what I was afraid of. This leaves Thule out (for me..in a new purchase). I like the 1UP carrier, but would prefer a strap mechanism to secure the rear tire as some of my bikes have rear racks. 1UP has a hard time keeping up with orders now..I doubt they'll be coming out with any new models soon. Yakima looks flimsy. This leaves Kuat.
I read your later post about purchasing a 1UP so this is about the rear rack issue. Not the best photos but they will do. As you can see the bike closest has a front rack and basket and if you look closely, the rear bike has a front and rear rack and the Thule works just fine. This is just for future reference for those who are wondering about racks and the Thule system. Mind you my racks are minimalist so that might be a contributing factor.

You can't go wrong with the 1UP.

Old 08-17-21, 07:01 AM
fishboat

I read your later post about purchasing a 1UP so this is about the rear rack issue...
Thanks for chiming in. Real world info on how this style carrier works with racks is hard to come by. I'm on the waiting list at 1UP. Looks like they are 4-6 weeks out. I fixed my current carrier and it'll work until 1UP knocks on my door..err..email acct. When the 1UP comes and I try it with a couple bikes I'll post up some pics and thoughts on how it works with racks, fenders...
Old 08-17-21, 01:10 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
That’s one of nice things about the Honda Odyssey, just throw the rack in the back, if parking is remote, or worried about theft. Actually, don’t even need a rack, if less then 4 of us, not nearly as cool as your Merc though.
Tim
Old 08-17-21, 02:09 PM
fishboat

Originally Posted by tkamd73
That’s one of nice things about the Honda Odyssey, just throw the rack in the back, if parking is remote, or worried about theft. Actually, don’t even need a rack, if less then 4 of us, not nearly as cool as your Merc though.
Tim
Actually my GF has a Toyota Sienna..such a practical vehicle. Secure bike transport and storage..and an auto too. She loves it. It sees lots of bike-camping-kayak-related use.

BUT...you're right..the cool-factor on the Merc is way high. Been driving this model Merc (two different ones) for 17 years...and don't have $10k total invested in the both of them..and still get 22mpg. (I have a couple other vehicles suited for pulling trailers or going out to a swank dinner..)
Old 09-25-21, 11:57 AM
Epetergiles

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awoke yo my Thule T2 also stolen from my locked and alarmed BMW X3. My rack was also locked via the BS Thule lock.

here in Venice Beach theft and sex/drug trafficking is rampant. My rack is actually sitting in an encampment a block from my house but the cops won’t do anything and going to try and get it is suicide.

anyone have a suggestion as to a competitor yo this rack that actually has a better lock?

so glad my Haibike wasn’t on the damn rack