Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Plan for a no-headwind tour

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-05-21, 12:19 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 346 Posts

For several years now, I have toyed with the idea of doing a tour where every day brought a guaranteed all-day tailwind. Easy to do--you just start in a windy place at a windy time of year (Dodge City, Kansas in April, say) and start riding downwind, in whatever direction that happens to be. Do the same thing the next day, and the next, and the next.

Of course, this would probably involve a certain amount of zigging and zagging. But so what? It's not like you have to double back on precisely the same route if the wind switches 180 degrees from one day to the next. You could just diagonal a bit so as to see different country. Given two weeks or so, it would be interesting to see where you ended up--Nebraska, Iowa, Texas, Missouri--or maybe still in the middle of Kansas. I find the uncertainty of the whole thing kind of appealing. Admittedly, the beginning of tornado season on the plains could be a concern, but that doesn't necessarily seem like a deal breaker to me.

I don't suppose it would be a good idea to hoist a sail, but it might help to plan a bag and pannier system that gave the wind some surface area to push against.

Is this a stupid idea? Has anyone here ever tried anything like it?

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 09-05-21, 12:28 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I’ve thought of doing “I’ve Been Everywhere” in order. Your idea is certainly a different tack. I wonder what the average surface wind looks like as streamlines, if it more or less parallels the jet stream.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 09-05-21, 12:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
It's called RAIN. (ride across indiana)

I'd sat worth doing once in a lifetime, probably not twice.
Old 09-05-21, 12:41 PM
SpeedofLite 

Bikes: Litespeed (9); Slingshot (9); Specialized (3); Kestrel (2); Cervelo (1); FELT (1); Trek (2)

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 994 Posts
Interesting idea.
If you don't want to just wing it, it seems like someone with good programming skill and access to a weather database would be able to model such a route quickly from recent historical data that includes mean wind vector.
Pick a start point, mean wind vector +/- a few degrees, and a distance range per day, then pick that day's endpoint city within your range.
Then repeat.
WTB: Bike World issue Jun 1974.

Likes For SpeedofLite:
Old 09-05-21, 01:00 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
Sounds like fun if your comfortably self supported. Back in the day I had some fun days exploring with a couple coin tosses at every intersection. Wanting to see what happens next is a personality trait I've seen in active folks who make it into their 90's. If you needed to have a more definite , but still naturally defined itinerary, trying to follow a watershed from headwater to ocean might be fun.
Old 09-05-21, 01:18 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Never having toured, and living in a place where cycle tourists always ride north to south, this sounds like fun! You do have to be prepared with enough water and food, as the states you're talking about have very long distances between towns; you also need to be ready to stealth camp for the same reason. And make sure to have a phone with a good weather app, as tornado season is not something to take lightly.

Just ride, and see where the wind takes you. Yep, sounds great. Please keep us posted on your plans.
Old 09-05-21, 02:07 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Originally Posted by iab
It's called RAIN. (ride across indiana)...
But it doesn't always go with the wind, does it? Or does it? I ask in genuine ignorance.

--Ogden Nash
Old 09-05-21, 02:08 PM
LibertyFLS
GDFTR

Bikes: '74 Falcon San Remo, '80 SR Semi Pro, '88 Trek 360, '18 Fairdale Goodship

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts
I love your idea. I don’t like riding in wind and it’s always windy here except in the morning. I don’t like being constantly moved around but I especially hate the howling in my ears and it’s not smart to ride with ear plugs.
Old 09-05-21, 02:12 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
I don't understand this aversion to headwinds. Sure, I don't go out of my way to encounter them, but when I do encounter them, I deal with them gracefully and magnanimously as part of the entire experience of cycling, just like changes in elevation or roads that go from glass-like surface to slurry seal. Just sayin.
In the plains states the wind runs 20-40 mph. Amazing tailwind, "unpleasant" headwind.
Old 09-05-21, 02:23 PM
jonwvara 

Originally Posted by onyerleft
I don't understand this aversion to headwinds. Sure, I don't go out of my way to encounter them, but when I do encounter them, I deal with them gracefully and magnanimously as part of the entire experience of cycling, just like changes in elevation or roads that go from glass-like surface to slurry seal. Just sayin.
Point taken. I have done quite a bit of touring (and non-touring) and bored through a lot of headwinds. Agreed, it is part of the experience. But I just thought it might be fun to try a ride with no set plan or destination, and no headwinds. Just for the sheer hell of it.

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 09-05-21, 02:28 PM
jonwvara 

There's also this Frank Zappa song:

--Ogden Nash
Likes For jonwvara:
Old 09-05-21, 03:39 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Neat idea. Couple it with routes that are always downhill, and I think you'll end up in the center of the earth.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 09-05-21, 03:51 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3009 Post(s)
Liked 3,786 Times in 1,405 Posts
Originally Posted by jonwvara
But it doesn't always go with the wind, does it? Or does it? I ask in genuine ignorance.
Not 100% guaranteed, but more than likely.
Old 09-05-21, 04:36 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,185 Times in 961 Posts
jonwvara if you are not familiar with this website which depicts the winds of the world, check it out. It defaults to surface winds, but can show winds at altitude as well as air pollution, temperature, air moisture, etc., and the Northern Lights. Oh, and ocean currents if you ever take up sea cycling! I tried to center it on Cabot, VT.

Earth Atmosphere

And here is what it looks like.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh: