Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Six Months of Riding

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Six Months of Riding

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-21, 04:39 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4245 Post(s)
Liked 1,350 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
in theory that's true, in practice, with the requirement of keeping my heart rate below 130 with "normal" road bike gearing, it doesn't seem possible to do 1,000-2,000 foot climbs at anything more than 8% or so. it just takes more power than i could put out with getting my heart rate up.
Sure, one could have requirements that make it necessary.
Old 09-28-21, 05:12 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The counterpoint to 'You don't need an e-bike' would be that 2700 feet in 54 miles is not a big climbing day in the Bay Area - my Sunday ride is 55 miles and 3300 feet and I consider it 'rolling' at most because I AVOID any of the big climbs. If the OP wants to do climbs like the ones down the Peninsula, or up in Marin, and he has a heart condition that prevents him doing threshold HR for 30-45 minutes, an e-bike is probably a safer option. I don't know, I'm not a doctor, and particularly not HIS doctor.

But, yeah - after 6 months, that 54 miles is nothing to sneeze at. Kudos!
exactly, the 54 miles was with no big climbs - just camino alto and wolf grade and in and out of the city, sausalito, and my neighborhood itself. the big climb rides, up to mt tam, diablo, etc, are more like 6,000 feet over 50-60 miles. the biggest climb i've done totally unassisted (just lugging the extra 15lb of bike ) is hawk hill. it was fine, but it has that false flat in the middle!! it was also NOT doable with the stock gearing on the bike.

here's an interesting (to me) comparison - on the right, a relatively fast (for me) ride around the marin headlands, up hawk hill and back through the valley. this ride used 25 watt hours of battery - about 8% of the battery capacity. with the stock gearing on the bike, i was able to get that down to about 12 watt hours per ride. on the left, my first time doing the same ride without using the battery at all, with the 1:1 bottom gear. (42t front 10-42t rear). 7 minutes slower, almost identical caloric expenditure, but the motor ride was faster and on a windier day. (the strava wind numbers are meaningless, those who ride this route know that there are a few sections where it's an in your face gust of waaaaay more than the 11.2mph quoted for the right one.

Last edited by mschwett; 09-28-21 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-28-21, 05:16 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Re: jerseys....I have a few quick-dri (or whatever trade name) T-shirts I bought for $5 at Walmart which work almost as well. The rear pockets are better for me .... not everyone.

As for the heart thing---I have a few friends, and myself have had heart issues. One guy's doctor says to keep his HR below 112---why get out of bed/

You are killing it. And not killing yourself. Seeme like a good combination.
Originally Posted by njkayaker
Sure, one could have requirements that make it necessary.
my heart rate pretty much won't go above 130, there's a severe shortness of breath that starts coming in at that point, and i know that it would be really bad for my health to push it beyond that. there was once that i got stressed going up a much-steeper-than-expected gravel/rock climb that i had NO business being on, and inadvertently pushed it trying to maintain enough forward momentum to not fall, and i hit 140 for 30 seconds. theoretically i think my heart "would" beat that fast in a controlled situation but no way am i going to try and find out!

for those who are interested in obscure medical trivia, ARVC is one of the very, very few illnesses which is actually caused by exercise in the "right" individuals. a gross oversimplification, of course.

https://www.acc.org/latest-in-cardio...fe-to-exercise

The deleterious role of exercise in ARVC is related to both sudden death occurring during exercise and symptomatic progression of RV dysfunction. From an early multicenter series of 42 post-mortem cases attributed to ARVC, 34 deaths (81%) were sudden in nature with nearly half of these occurring during exercise.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-28-21, 06:35 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by randallr
Yep, it's great to discover all that, especially point #1. Something so fine about traveling so far under one's own power alone.
Yep, there is a saying about flying along just off the ground, which especially applies to going downhill in SF.
Old 09-28-21, 07:10 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
Is there a particular reason for not wanting to wear lycra? It's practically the first upgrade to a road bike you can make, as it feels awesome and improves the ride immeasurably in terms of comfort and performance. Why would you deny yourself for what sounds like a misguided matter of principle?
It improves the ride ‘immeasurably’ in terms of performance?
Good stuff
Old 09-29-21, 04:10 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I was going to make some joke about ARVC but it doesn't look all that funny. Good for overcoming it.

Hard to believe you beat the disease despite not wearing a pair of $400 Rapha bibs and a $300 Rapha jersey.

I hear they improve performance immeasurably, and I believe it ... you cannot measure what is not there.
Old 09-29-21, 08:24 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
…

Hard to believe you beat the disease despite not wearing a pair of $400 Rapha bibs and a $300 Rapha jersey.
more like a stalemate than victory, but i can only imagine how much faster i’d go if my outfit cost as much as a whole bike!
Old 09-29-21, 09:24 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
my heart rate pretty much won't go above 130,
I see your power curve on " HAWLK HILL, NO MOTOR" shows 300watts for 1 minute (under your own power), yet your HR never went above 130bpm, that's impressive, especially for someone with a heart condition. I know absolutely nothing about the condition you're afflicted with, nor how a high HR could be dangerous for you (though it sounds like you've been told 130bpm), but I'm guessing that you're an outlier in that diseases dataset, and most of the Dr's you meet probably won't have much experience working with someone as fit as you. I say this because I used to have a 1 minute power curve of 588w, now down to 285w since I came down with Stage 4 Lung Cancer 2 years ago, and some of the Dr's I meet (for both lung as well as for knee issues I've had) seem to be used to working with more sedentary non-fit patients, and are accustomed to treating me as such. Is that the case for you?
Old 09-29-21, 09:27 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
more like a stalemate than victory, but i can only imagine how much faster i’d go if my outfit cost as much as a whole bike!
Hey, my outfit costs as at least half of my bikes (each, not all together) depending on which shoes I wear. Mind you, the shoes were expensive and the bikes were cheap. I figure shoes are your most direct connection with the bike, do getting them right is important.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-29-21, 09:38 AM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
A few suggestions non health related. Move the one bottle cage to the down tube (more aero), lose the gatorskins (it is a crime to put them on a bike as nice as this), spandex and shave. It takes a leap to don the clown clothes but once you do you will never look back. Winter is coming and comfort is paramount.
Old 09-29-21, 10:05 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
I see your power curve on " HAWLK HILL, NO MOTOR" shows 300watts for 1 minute (under your own power), yet your HR never went above 130bpm, that's impressive, especially for someone with a heart condition.
Obviously that's some sort of error and why ebikers shouldn't rely on whatever estimations their bikes give them. Disconnect the battery, ride it and see how it compares.
Old 09-29-21, 10:14 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Obviously that's some sort of error and why ebikers shouldn't rely on whatever estimations their bikes give them. Disconnect the battery, ride it and see how it compares.
it's not an error - the motor was turned off for that ride. lights off, no whine, no power consumption, no extra forward motion. there is some speculation that the power meter built into the specialized system isn't absolutely totally accurate, but the margin of error is pretty small from my experience. (i've also had the bike on a rear wheel trainer with a power meter.)

beyond the underlying physical issues, i take medications that keep my heart rate unusually low.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 09-29-21, 10:15 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by popeye
A few suggestions non health related. Move the one bottle cage to the down tube (more aero), lose the gatorskins (it is a crime to put them on a bike as nice as this), spandex and shave. It takes a leap to don the clown clothes but once you do you will never look back. Winter is coming and comfort is paramount.
thanks!! makes sense that the downtube would be more aero, especially since the downtube is so fat haha. i need to get some appropriate bolts, the one that came with the cage are too long for the downtube. good reminder.
Old 09-29-21, 10:18 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Riveting
I see your power curve on " HAWLK HILL, NO MOTOR" shows 300watts for 1 minute (under your own power), yet your HR never went above 130bpm, that's impressive, especially for someone with a heart condition. I know absolutely nothing about the condition you're afflicted with, nor how a high HR could be dangerous for you (though it sounds like you've been told 130bpm), but I'm guessing that you're an outlier in that diseases dataset, and most of the Dr's you meet probably won't have much experience working with someone as fit as you. I say this because I used to have a 1 minute power curve of 588w, now down to 285w since I came down with Stage 4 Lung Cancer 2 years ago, and some of the Dr's I meet (for both lung as well as for knee issues I've had) seem to be used to working with more sedentary non-fit patients, and are accustomed to treating me as such. Is that the case for you?
it's an unusual disease, most doctors know little about it, but the ones that do are actually very used to working with endurance athletes... because that's typically who gets it. if you have the right (wrong!) genetics, and engage in very frequent, intense, long duration cardio, bad things start to happen. so the good docs in this field are very used to a high baseline level of fitness - much higher than mine, surely - but the recommendation for all afflicted is "no strenuous exercise." unfortunately there isn't a great way to measure that, but heart rate is one metric. i have some less serious abnormal rhythms that tend to occur around 135, so i keep it under that, which coincides with a reasonable threshold based on the meds i take etc. doctors advice is to average no more than 90-110 for a ride.
Old 09-29-21, 10:28 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked 5,393 Times in 2,738 Posts
^^^Good for you then, that's strong riding!
Old 09-29-21, 10:31 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
^^^Good for you then, that's strong riding!
not relative to my size LOL!!
Likes For mschwett: