Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Franken - Peugeot Dolomites 80s?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-21, 10:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,627 Times in 1,044 Posts

Long Story: This build started in 2011 when I bought a Peugeot Frame from "afilado/Julian" on this site. It was a great frame with worn paint and decals. The serial number was obscured by divots and bangs on to the bottom bracket but the bottom bracket was still true. We both placed the frame at about 1986 with SLX tubing. There was heavy rust on the top of the fork arms and a few other areas but nothing of real damage internally or externally. After checking it for alignment I stripped it to the metal and shot it with Rustolium Primer. I then put it away to dry and planed to do a real restoration on it.

Now ten years latter I drug the frame out with full intentions of a restoration... NOPE! Ain't gonna happen! After scouring pictures and catalogs I narrowed the frame to an early French Peugeot Dolomites. The SLX steel and the Campagnolo Group Set made the bike all Italian but French made. Well that was the kicker. The cost of finding all of the original components for an actual restoration put the project well beyond anything I could afford. Even finding period correct components were out of my cost range. Throwing in the towel I decided to empty out my part bins and order anything I needed to put the thing together period correct or not. My Peugeot Dolomites frame was to be Frankenised!

I started assembly by sanding the primer then Hand Brush painted the fork and frame with a thick coat of Rustolium White Enamel. I will post more notes on painting to another thread. Thank you "randyjawa". After the paint tightened up and dried for at lest three weeks in the Texas sun I went about finding the components that fit. It was a little more difficult than I thought. I should have realized that although built in France this was really an Italian bike. The decals and logos are my own and made from Bumper Stickers or printed ink transferred to Helicopter tape. The setup of the bike is strange in that it is made for me. I no longer use drops hence the bull horns and my stem is high for my back problems. Yes, I still use toe cages but that's just old habit I never tighten them down. I fitted a freewheel with a 34T bailout cause I don't do hills well and believe me I use it more often than I would like to admit. I would fit wider tires to it but there is no room. The Pasellas just barely fit. I am thinking the bike was originally configured for Sew-Ups.

Here is a listing of all the components I put on the frame. Note that almost all of them are from China. As a matter of fact the only thing made in France is the frame. And that was with steel from Italy... Go Figure...

Brake levers = Tektro Silver Bar End Levers (China), Bars = SunLite alloy T-6 JAE CHEN Bullhornon (China), Stem = Newmind Ultralight 25.4mm 180mm 30D (China), Headset = Jili 1" Sealed Cartridge (China), Brake Set = Tektro R313 Pivot Caliper 39-52 (China), Cabels = Bell Generic (China), Seat = Planet Bike ARS 5001-1 (China), Seat Post = Altair Seatpost AL 26.4 350mm Micro SIL (China), Seat Post Bolt = Action Biner 19mm (USA), Water Bottle Cage = FiveBox (China), Shifters = SunRace R30 Down Tube 7 Speed (China), Derailuer Front = Shimano FD-Z??? (Japan), Derailuer Rear = Shimano RD M??? Long Cage (Japan), Bottom Bracket = Shimano BB-UN300 English 68x110mm Square Taper JIS (Indonesia), Crank = bikinGreen 5 Bolt BCD 110mm 170mm 46/30T JIS Square Taper (USA), Freewheel = Shimano MF-TZ30 Tourney Freewheel 14-34T 6-Speed (China), Chain = SRAM 6-7 Speed PC830 1/2"x3/32" 114L (USA), Pedals = Avenir Ultralight 9/16" (China), Toe Clips = MKS Steel M (Japan), Wheels 700c = WheelMaster Alloy 622x13 Sun M13-II RD-2100 Sealed 36H SS Presta (China/USA), Quick Releses = QR Quando 126 (China), Tires = Panasonic Panracer Passela 700c x 32 (Japan)

Last edited by zandoval; 10-11-21 at 10:59 PM.
Likes For zandoval:
Old 10-12-21, 03:54 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
That is awesome! Great paint job and decaling! Definitely gives me a few ideas.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-12-21, 07:08 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The serial number should be allow you to date the frame to the exact year and month it was built, provided you did lay on the paint too thick.
Old 10-12-21, 07:27 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
You did an amazing job
Old 10-12-21, 09:32 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Bumper Sticker Decals: See post #65

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ockoffs-3.html
Old 10-12-21, 10:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Those bikinGreen cranks and chainrings look nice. I found an eBay store, but not much other information about this outfit. Are they a re-brander of other parts, or importer/distributor of knock-off parts? Or do they actually manufacture these components themselves?
Old 10-12-21, 11:28 AM
zandoval 

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
...bikinGreen cranks... not much other information about this outfit. Are they a re-brander of other parts, or importer/distributor of knock-off parts? Or do they actually manufacture these components themselves?
I am not exactly sure. I think they manufacture but I need to give them a call. Right now they have fantastic quality on the cranks so I suspect they are USA made. Finding a 46/30 Silver Alloy Crank was impossible till I found these guys...

Most of the components for the Frankin Dolo were parts left over from other builds or friends upgrades. The bikinGreen 46/30 crank was a brand new splurge. I am very happy with it...