Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tube Failure Below Presta Stem

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-14-21, 01:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts

Was airing up a wheel set that had been hanging on my garage wall for a few years. The wheel set was protected form the elements except for Texas Heat. Half way through airing at about 28PSI-2BAR they went POP!. On closer exam the tubes and tires were good except at the area below the Presta stem. Is this Common?

Old 10-14-21, 03:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Was airing up a wheel set that had been hanging on my garage wall for a few years. The wheel set was protected form the elements except for Texas Heat. Half way through airing at about 28PSI-2BAR they went POP!. On closer exam the tubes and tires were good except at the area below the Presta stem. Is this Common?

I haven't seen anything like that, but it occurs to me that this is the area most exposed to the air, so, maybe oxygen?

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-14-21, 03:50 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Well Butyl tubes do go thru a heat vulcanization process, which bonds the tube ends together and also bonds the valve assembly to the tubing.
My guess is that the heat vulcanization may make the rubber more brittle in that area. The valve stem is contained in a thicker piece of rubber, which bonds to the tubing.
So if too much heat is applied, it may harden the rubber a bit more than the overall tube - and could cause that area to fail sooner than the rest of the tube.
Note in your pic that one failure outlines the underlying valve stem rubber foundation...
...not a materials engineer, but know that 'cold' vulcanization' makes for a more durable rubber - over heat vulcanized...
a material engineer would likely provide a more complete picture of all this...
Don;t think this is a common problem, but I have had older tubes which just 'tore' in a similar fashion.
What brand/model are the tubes?
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-14-21, 04:00 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
I'd guess mechanical failure. After sitting for a few years, you had basically zero pressure in the tube, so nothing to hold it firmly in place. Push the pump head onto the stem, you could have had the bead detach from the rim just below the stem and a bit of the tube get in there. When you then pressurized the tube, the part that was pinched between tire and rim popped the tire off the rim, and instant BAM! resulted.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-14-21, 04:43 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,788 Times in 3,305 Posts
What internal size rims? That can be a easy place to damage a tube when installing a tire, especially on narrow rims. Though the tube looks more cracked than what I'd expect. What do the other rubber parts look like? Was the bike near something that produced ozone during it's storage time, like a motor?

I've heard that can be hard on rubber. But I'm not where I can go check right now. I put some old tubes and tires near a shop air compressor I have, but so far I don't see any issue. But then again, I don't use the compressor as much as I once did. So it's not running a lot.
Old 10-14-21, 04:44 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I haven't seen anything like that, but it occurs to me that this is the area most exposed to the air, so, maybe oxygen?
isn't the inside of the tube filled with air? Unless co2 filled.
Old 10-14-21, 05:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by spelger
isn't the inside of the tube filled with air? Unless co2 filled.
A point, but the fact that it deteriorated around the hole through the rim is suggestive.

Old 10-14-21, 05:49 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Deterioration of the tube was probably not the cause. I'd say you had a tire bead seating issue, given that all pressure was lost in storage. This allowed the tube to expand under the bead and pop. I've never found age or storage conditions to affect butyl tubes, having used some that were decades old relics.
Old 10-14-21, 06:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 954 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Could have been water rot. These were old well used tubes and tires. I suspect that every time we air up our tires we get a small amount of moisture into the tube. It is bound to build up over time. The wheel set was hanging off the wall for years with he stems at the lowest point. Moisture could have collected at the bottom of the tube where the stem is at and slowly rotted out the tube. Just thinking...

Kinda like having to bleed the moisture outta the bottom of a compressor tank...

The tubes were KENDA 27 1-1/4. Never had trouble with these tubes before so it must have been the conditions of storage.
Old 10-14-21, 07:33 PM
spelger

A point, but the fact that it deteriorated around the hole through the rim is suggestive.
i know some on BF like to argue for the sake of arguing* but...i think it is very unlikely to be caused by oxygen. i run plain old air in my tubes @ ~90psi. that is about 6 times the air in my tubes vs the air in the...air. that means about 6 times the oxygen swimming around in the tube. if oxygen caused this on the outside i would think that our tubes would have burst into flames long ago. some of my tubes are many years old.

*say it ain't so
Old 10-14-21, 08:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

i know some on BF like to argue for the sake of arguing* but...i think it is very unlikely to be caused by oxygen. i run plain old air in my tubes @ ~90psi. that is about 6 times the air in my tubes vs the air in the...air. that means about 6 times the oxygen swimming around in the tube. if oxygen caused this on the outside i would think that our tubes would have burst into flames long ago. some of my tubes are many years old.

*say it ain't so
Okay, but you have to realize that if oxygen DOES react with the butyl rubber, the oxygen would be depleted by the reaction, whereas the oxygen outside the tube is continuously replenished. But it doesn't have to be oxygen. We know that if you leave tubes out in the garage, even where it's relatively dark, they break down over time. If part of that is exposure to SOME COMPONENT OF air, then the are closest to the valve may be more exposed than elsewhere.

I dunno. It's an hypothesis, and not one I give enough of a **** to investigate.

Old 10-14-21, 08:26 PM
spelger

Okay, but you have to realize that if oxygen DOES react with the butyl rubber, the oxygen would be depleted by the reaction, whereas the oxygen outside the tube is continuously replenished. But it doesn't have to be oxygen. We know that if you leave tubes out in the garage, even where it's relatively dark, they break down over time. If part of that is exposure to SOME COMPONENT OF air, then the are closest to the valve may be more exposed than elsewhere.

I dunno. It's an hypothesis, and not one I give enough of a **** to investigate.
everything breaks down over time but i'd rather ride than think about how long.

i see you are from the bay area. i used to live in Mountain View in what was an old hotel. then later moved to San Jose. i remember riding on some roads over there. some big hill up to La Honda or along Sand Hill. Isn't sand hill near the linear accelerator?
Old 10-14-21, 08:30 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

everything breaks down over time but i'd rather ride than think about how long.

i see you are from the bay area. i used to live in Mountain View in what was an old hotel. then later moved to San Jose. i remember riding on some roads over there. some big hill up to La Honda or along Sand Hill. Isn't sand hill near the linear accelerator?
Yes, the big hill is Old La Honda. Goes from Portola Valley up to the top of the ridge of the Santa Cruz Mountains. You take Sand Hill West from Palo Alto to get to it, and the main entrance to SLAC (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) is off Sand Hill.

Old 10-14-21, 09:11 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'd guess mechanical failure. After sitting for a few years, you had basically zero pressure in the tube, so nothing to hold it firmly in place. Push the pump head onto the stem, you could have had the bead detach from the rim just below the stem and a bit of the tube get in there. When you then pressurized the tube, the part that was pinched between tire and rim popped the tire off the rim, and instant BAM! resulted.
Yes, definitely, that one with the 'star' blowout... I've done that... LOL! the tire bead wasn't properly seated all the way around, I was doing the tube swap in the evening and lighting was low (always have an excuse handy, v- important !!! LOL !) But mine blew when I had it up to pressure - 80 psi - had walked away to get something... BLAM ! LOL!
But the one with the 'age' crack under the valve - old rubber giving way...
Some tubes just seem to age and crack faster than others... I don;t buy Conti tubes anymore. Schwalbe, on the other hand seem to be bulletproof at almost the same weight...
Ride On
Yuri
Old 10-14-21, 09:23 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
One of the tricks I learned working in a bike shop and replacing many tubes was to always push the valve in toward the tire and then pull it back out just before inflating the tube. This made sure the tire bead was properly seated adjacent to the valve. This was just the type of problem that was meant to avoid.
Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 10-15-21, 05:56 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
While everyone is theorizing bad rubber, the ragged hole indicates explosive decompression, which is impossible if the tube is fully within the tire. What you have here is the results of a pinched tube, and in the most likely place for it to happen. The reinforced part of the tube got caught under the bead the last time the tire was mounted.
Old 10-15-21, 11:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Could have been water rot. These were old well used tubes and tires. I suspect that every time we air up our tires we get a small amount of moisture into the tube. It is bound to build up over time. The wheel set was hanging off the wall for years with he stems at the lowest point. Moisture could have collected at the bottom of the tube where the stem is at and slowly rotted out the tube. Just thinking...

Kinda like having to bleed the moisture outta the bottom of a compressor tank...
I don't think rubber actually rots from that. The "rot" that we see on the sidewalls of car tires is from ozone and UV rays, neither of which bike tubes should experience.

The tubes were KENDA 27 1-1/4. Never had trouble with these tubes before so it must have been the conditions of storage.
That would be my guess. Same wheels as these overbaked tires? https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...gum-walls.html

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
While everyone is theorizing bad rubber, the ragged hole indicates explosive decompression, which is impossible if the tube is fully within the tire. What you have here is the results of a pinched tube, and in the most likely place for it to happen. The reinforced part of the tube got caught under the bead the last time the tire was mounted.
Maybe, but if the tires were able to completely deflate during their long storage, the beads could come unmounted, and the tubes could find new paths out when the tires get pumped up again. Whenever I have a bike tire go completely flat from storage, I go through the procedure of first adding a few psi and working my way around the rim to check against a trapped tube before airing it up to full pressure, just like when mounting the tire for the first time.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 10-18-21, 01:33 PM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I'm thinking of the valve nut holding the valve against the rim. It can stretch the rubber and rubber don't like being stretched or deformed for a long time, rubber gets cracked.
I only very slightly tighten this nut and I'd definitely remove it for storage.
That said, it's also not good to lay the wheel on the ground for storage. Better hang it if possible.
the very comment that I was going to make. NEVER tighten that nut - - it is only to prevent the stem from being pushed into the tire when inflating. It is NOT meant to hold anything in place.