Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Going more upright on my MTB?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-19, 05:22 AM
Panabal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello all,

I have an old 2001 Trek Fuel 80 full suspension mountain bike that has been sitting for years. I want to get back on it but want to get the riding position more upright. Primary use for the bike would be to install a front mount baby seat and cruise around the neighborhood or local flat trails - no aggressive "mountain biking." Would I be able to accomplish that by changing the handlebar stem to something with a different angle and handlebars to something with more of a rise? If so, any suggestions on parts? Do I need to change the headset too? Thanks in advance!

Here's its stock component specs (I'd post a pic but don't have 10 posts yet):

Brakeset: Aluminum linear-pull brakes, aluminum linear-pull levers
Shift Levers: Shimano Alivio RapidFire Plus
Crankset: Shimano Alivio, 22/32/44 teeth
Pedals: Aluminum ATB
Rear Cogs: 8-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
Seatpost: Bontrager Sport
Saddle: Bontrager FS 2000
Handlebar: Bontrager CrowBar Sport
Handlebar Stem: Bontrager Sport
Headset: 1 1/8inch threadless Dia-Compe STR
Likes For Panabal:
Old 06-13-19, 05:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Hi. Yes, you can install a higher rise stem and different bars. As an alternative, you can install a threadless stem extender, which essentially raises the mounting point of the stem. This would probably be the least expensive option. You might go for that and an adjustable stem -- that would permit you to raise the basic mounting point AND also fine-tune the stem angle, without having to replace the handlebar itself. That would be the most involved (because you'd have to move all the controls), but it can certainly be done.

Good luck!
Old 06-13-19, 07:39 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
You might want to change the tires out to something less aggressive (I'm assuming a full suspension mountain bike has aggressive knobby tires) if you are going to be using it on flat trails and pavement.

They will roll better and just be easier to pedal forward on

For the type of riding you are suggesting you shouldn't need to spend a ton of money of t really good tires to get something more comfortable/easier to ride on. Anything with a smoother tread should be more comfortable on pavement and hard packed trails.
Old 06-13-19, 07:54 PM
Panabal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very good points and suggestions. Thank you both for the input.
Old 06-14-19, 10:00 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
.... and expect you need to replace all the cables to reach that more comfortable upright position..

time consuming , but not difficult with right tools ....
Old 06-19-19, 11:10 AM
Panabal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following up: I picked up a used front mount child seat (Yepp Mini) with the ahead adapter and there's just not enough clearance between the kid seat and myself in the bike's current position (I expected this anyway). So, I've been thinking about it and want to do the following to this old Fuel to get rider position more upright and doable with the front mount bike seat:

-change to a taller handlebar, something like the Deity Highside 760 80MM rise bar
-maybe change the stem to something with a greater rise angle (if the handlebar above doesn't get me where I want to be)
-replace brake and shift cables (to lengthen and because the old ones are sticky)
-change to a more comfortable saddle, something wider with gel
-change knobby MTB tires out to something a little more road and gravel friendly

I roughly priced this all out to about $300. The alternative is buying something like a Cannondale Treadwell or Trek Verve for about $700 - $800. Any reason this $300 wouldn't be well spent on this bike?

Thanks!
Old 06-19-19, 01:11 PM
velojym

Bikes: Konas: Jake the Snake-Fire Mountain-Zing Supreme, Dew Deluxe,Zone Ltd. (frame, needs parts), Surly Long Haul Trucker, Santana Arriva tandem, Montagues: Paratrooper-Fit, Trek 1200, Bianchi Ocelot, Fantom Cross Uno, Bridgestone 200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 122 Posts
300 will get you a pretty nice hybrid at that component level.
Old 06-22-19, 10:58 AM
Zenmaster2009

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Panabal
Any reason this $300 wouldn't be well spent on this bike?

Thanks!
Another $80 will get you a brand new and very upright Giant Sedona.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/sedona
Likes For Zenmaster2009:
Old 10-14-20, 06:05 AM
Panabal

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following up: I picked up a used front mount child seat (Yepp Mini) with the ahead adapter and there's just not enough clearance between the kid seat and myself in the bike's current position (I expected this anyway). So, I've been thinking about it and want to do the following to this old Fuel to get rider position more upright and doable with the front mount bike seat:

-change to a taller handlebar, something like the Deity Highside 760 80MM rise bar
-maybe change the stem to something with a greater rise angle (if the handlebar above doesn't get me where I want to be)
-replace brake and shift cables (to lengthen and because the old ones are sticky)
-change to a more comfortable saddle, something wider with gel
-change knobby MTB tires out to something a little more road and gravel friendly

I roughly priced this all out to about $300. The alternative is buying something like a Cannondale Treadwell or Trek Verve for about $700 - $800. Any reason this $300 wouldn't be well spent on this bike?

Thanks!
Ended up making the above changes and very happy with the bike as a bike to ride around with the kid on the front mount seat. Works great.
Old 10-14-20, 08:07 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
Ended up making the above changes and very happy with the bike as a bike to ride around with the kid on the front mount seat. Works great.
Got any photos of the new arrangement?

I'm doing many of the same alterations, with a '90s vintage Trek 970. Going back to a rigid fork, which gives a taller steerer; considering a shorter stem with sharper upward angle; handlebars with greater rise and sweep; and a saddle more appropriate for more-upright riding position. Makes a great deal of difference in the riding position, as compared to the flat-bar, aggressive/athletic forward position of the original.
Old 10-22-20, 08:27 PM
gorillimo

Bikes: Surly Cross Check, Specialized Enduro Pro, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 94 Posts

Upright bars with more pullback will get you there. Here’s my Rockhopper with north road bars.