Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Schwinn High Sierra/ Bullmoose Bars

Old 12-04-22, 12:14 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Schwinn High Sierra/ Bullmoose Bars

This bike came to our non profit via donation. It lookes awesome, and after trying to find the provenance, it seems to be either a 1984 or 1985, but there are inconsistencies with some of the groupset info. The High Sierra in 1985 was supposed to have Riser Bars, this one has Bullmoose bars. Some years have it listed with Suntour Cranks (This is a Sugino SR) and in 1985 it was supposed to have a 6 speed freewheel, but it is a 5 speed Suntour. It is in excellent condition and appears to be all original, including the saddle brake pads and tires (it had a padded saddle cover on it) and a plastic covered chain that was prevelant in the 1980's. I know, cause I had one.

It is a 21 in, mid crank to top of toptube. Catalogues list the sizes as 18, 21, 23.
In any case, I was the only one in our group (nice guys but all in their 30's, except me, not into older bikes) that recognized it as a fine specimen. It was ignored int the back of the donation room. Looking on Ebay, sellers range from $450-$750 PLUS shipping.

Any suggestions or clarifications. Our nonprofit, nor myself personally, do not sell on Ebay, and I would list it here in SF bay area on Craigslist, or on the forum in Market. Appreciate realistic appraisal. Our group sells bikes and then uses proceeds to maintain a fleet of bikes for kids to ride, as well as giving bikes away to those frequent riders who do not have bikes at home.
Cheers,

Last edited by Nubra; 12-04-22 at 12:18 PM. Reason: duplicated photos
Likes For Nubra:
Old 12-04-22, 01:09 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 1,663 Times in 761 Posts
I might be following this discussion, as I just forwarded a Sierra of similar age from the Recycle Your Bicycle program to our co-op (Rusty Spoke).
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 12-04-22, 01:12 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1115 Post(s)
Liked 2,230 Times in 1,303 Posts
It's an '84 (the '85 High Sierra has a unicrown fork). Most notably yours is missing the setback seatpost with extra QR that's depicted in the panel pic of the catalog.

Those eBay prices sound wildly optimistic. There was an '84 High Sierra that was tempting me in my local market that sat on CL for weeks and it was only $100, maybe $120. Perhaps in CA you can double that if you can find someone with early mtb fever. I never see these Schwinns getting close to Stumpjumper money.

Old 12-04-22, 07:44 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by Clang
It's an '84 (the '85 High Sierra has a unicrown fork). Most notably yours is missing the setback seatpost with extra QR that's depicted in the panel pic of the catalog.

Those eBay prices sound wildly optimistic. There was an '84 High Sierra that was tempting me in my local market that sat on CL for weeks and it was only $100, maybe $120. Perhaps in CA you can double that if you can find someone with early mtb fever. I never see these Schwinns getting close to Stumpjumper money.
Thanks Clang. I know Ebay is often no measure for "vintage" bikes. Helps to have some input. Anything anyone else can ad would be lovely. Cheers!

Likes For Nubra:
Old 12-04-22, 08:33 PM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Very nice bike. Yes, you can ask whatever price you want. Sold transactions are the only ones that count.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-04-22, 08:39 PM
JulesCW 

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 309 Posts
That thing looks like no one has ever really ridden it! Vintage MTBs are hot right now. That has some neat stuff, but is not at the top of the desirability heap (although it is a good frame). You're in a good locale for selling this -- I'd ask $700 obo, and accept $500--- $600.
Old 12-05-22, 11:12 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Very nice bike. Yes, you can ask whatever price you want. Sold transactions are the only ones that count.
Roger that! Thanks

Old 12-05-22, 11:15 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by JulesCW
That thing looks like no one has ever really ridden it! Vintage MTBs are hot right now. That has some neat stuff, but is not at the top of the desirability heap (although it is a good frame). You're in a good locale for selling this -- I'd ask $700 obo, and accept $500--- $600.
That is exactly what I thought too. There is NO wear on anything, it must have been sitting in a garage. It is spotless (the photos taken with water on it cuase I transported it on the back of my car in a rain storm).
I think I will try the Higher route and see what happens.
Cheers!

Old 12-05-22, 11:17 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,764 Posts
Originally Posted by Clang

In the last few years in the SoCal market a few dozen of these (high sierras) have come up for sale. Prices have ranged from $50 - $550, somewhat based on condition and year but more on random pricing. I have posted quite a few at sub $200 prices, Clang, quite a few lower than that (I belive a nice one at $25). I don't think any have sold for north of $350, nice examples regularly sit for a few weeks in the $225-275 range but seem to sell. Yours is nice and an 84' and I would guess Santa Cruz is a pretty good market so you might start at at a higher number, but be ready to drop into the $200's to get it sold.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 12-05-22, 04:26 PM
TugaDude

The handlebars alone could probably fetch north of $50 on their own. They have become very popular and nice ones where rust is at a minimum might get a lot more than 50.

If I were in the market for a vintage MTB that I wanted to tinker with and maybe turn into an "all-rounder", the Schwinn High Sierra would be a decent candidate.
Hopefully someone similar is in your area looking for a blank canvas with which to create something unique.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 12-05-22, 05:49 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 957 Times in 624 Posts
eBay dreamland asking prices should never be used as "selling prices". Highest ebay SOLD price in the last year was $270. Next highest was $177.

I use a 50% of ebay pricing for my local sales. So I would be at about $140, after a complete refresh.

EBay obviously has a lot of fees, and in addition, sellers will get a 1099 (income tax form). So I feel I am about even on a local sale at half price.

To those that want to use ebay prices as a guideline for sales, I suggest you get access to Terrapeak, which will give you the last 12 months of ebay sales.

To me, either the 1983 with the biplane fork, or the ~ 1987 with the smoked chrome frame and roller cam brakes are the best High Sierras. In the end, its a Giant made Schwinn, nothing really special about them.

Like pretty much any of the decent MTBs from that time frame, the value of the parts far exceed the value of the entire bike.

Last edited by wrk101; 12-06-22 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 12-05-22, 08:09 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked 1,706 Times in 620 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
eBay dreamland asking prices should never be used as "selling prices". Highest ebay SOLD price in the last year was $270. Next highest was $177.

I use a 50% of ebay pricing for my local sales. So I would be at about. $140, after a complete refresh.

EBay obviously has a lot of fees, and in addition, sellers will get a 1099 (income tax form). So I feel I am about even on a local sale at half price.

To those that want to use ebay prices as a guideline for sales, I suggest you get access to Terrapeak, which will give you the last 12 months of ebay sales.

To me, either the 1983 with the biplane fork, or the ~ 1987 with the smoked chrome frame and roller cam brakes are the best High Sierras. In the end, its a Giant made Schwinn, nothing really special about them.

Like pretty much any of the decent MTBs from that time frame, the value of the parts far exceed the value of the entire bike.
+1 I would tend to agree other than the bars nothing real special . I would be more for $200-250 nicely cleaned up presented considering condition yet nowhere near the $500 mark for reference in my market it would be a $100 thrift store yard sale bike.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 12-05-22, 08:57 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked 3,541 Times in 1,764 Posts
Los Angeles Offerup $190 (asking price) - https://offerup.com/item/detail/42de...4d9d61?cid=7.4
Looks to be pretty much stock, except for the obvious neck extension

This one was listed for months multiple times, before this listing below.

Last edited by SoCaled; 12-05-22 at 09:04 PM.
Likes For SoCaled:
Old 12-08-22, 01:45 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Hahaha!
Of course, but reality is that things don't get sold when the asking price has buyers thinking you are silly. Thanks for comment!

Old 12-08-22, 01:46 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by SoCaled
Los Angeles Offerup $190 (asking price) - https://offerup.com/item/detail/42de...4d9d61?cid=7.4
Looks to be pretty much stock, except for the obvious neck extension

This one was listed for months multiple times, before this listing below.
Thanks SOCal, reality check is very very helpful. Documentation is especially appreciate.
Cheers,

Old 12-08-22, 01:54 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by wrk101

I use a 50% of ebay pricing for my local sales. So I would be at about $140, after a complete refresh.

Many thanks. This is very helpful info. I took a class on how to sell on Ebay at my local city college, and that was enough to get me to give that up.

Most of the bikes I sell here are essentially beater bikes that have been completely rebuilt and have excellent mechanical bones.In other words, look really bad but ride great. Just sold a rebuild bike yesterday and the buyer was "surprised at how well it shifted and braked". I explained the complete rebuild. A lot of people in this area like having a good bike in disguise, and ride there high end bikes on the trail.
I agree, the bars are the coolest piece on this bike. The micro shifters, all metal are excellent too. But I don't part out bikes to make money. Just like to get them where they will be ridden and get a little bit of love. Cheers!

Old 12-09-22, 08:44 AM
TugaDude

Originally Posted by Nubra
Many thanks. This is very helpful info. I took a class on how to sell on Ebay at my local city college, and that was enough to get me to give that up.

Most of the bikes I sell here are essentially beater bikes that have been completely rebuilt and have excellent mechanical bones.In other words, look really bad but ride great. Just sold a rebuild bike yesterday and the buyer was "surprised at how well it shifted and braked". I explained the complete rebuild. A lot of people in this area like having a good bike in disguise, and ride there high end bikes on the trail.
I agree, the bars are the coolest piece on this bike. The micro shifters, all metal are excellent too. But I don't part out bikes to make money. Just like to get them where they will be ridden and get a little bit of love. Cheers!
I like the idea of providing good bikes to people who will appreciate them and who don't necessarily care what they look like. Too many bikes are being stolen and if not stolen altogether, then components from them. When I lock up some of my bikes I stand back and look at them and calculate in my head the time it might take to remove some of the components which cannot be protected. Anything with a QR skewer is obviously first to go! Then I calculate the cost of replacing what is easiest to be removed. Finally, I shake my head and walk away, praying as I go.