Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire repair?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Tubeless tire repair?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 10:01 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Tubeless tire repair?

Yesterday one of my relatively new Schwalbe Pro One tubeless was punctured by dog knows what - I was on a gravel path at the time - I now know these tires are not suitable for light off road. The hole is on the tread and not the sidewall. Tried bacon plugs (2 separate attempts) and both failed, and one backed out. Perhaps the remaining sealant was inhibiting proper adhesion? The hole is probably .25mm in size. Was thinking of using a standard tube patch on the inside of the tire and then cover the patch with some Gorilla Tape.

Who has had success with an internal patch and what did you use?

Old 03-27-23, 10:45 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4391 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
For bigger holes or cuts you use mutiple plugs.
Old 03-27-23, 11:07 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Dynaplug® Online Store |Dynaplug® DynaPlugger? - Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

I just got the plastic Dynaplug. Haven't used it yet. It gets good reviews and Dynaplug has been making these type things for cars and motorcycles long before bicycle tubeless was invented.

From their FAQ Dynaplug® | FAQ -

1. Is the Dynaplug® repair permanent?
The plug material makes a permanent repair when one tire repair plug is used and the puncture is made by an object no larger than a 16d (16 penny) common nail.
​​​​​​​
Old 03-27-23, 11:22 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I carry Stan's darts and might use them for the first time today. But that's at MTB pressure
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-27-23, 11:22 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
not very successful at patching a tubeless tire once it's been goop'd with sealant... & I expect such when attempt in doing so.. basically, testing of luck.
If a plug is not able to seal the deal, then I hit the easy button & start back off with a fresh TLR tire.

Plug it your dump it.
Old 03-27-23, 11:46 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Another vote here for Dynaplugs. I use the Dynaplug Racer tool, which is very easy to carry in a pocket and extremely quick to use. The conical brass tips prevent the plugs from backing out. I've only had to use it a couple of times over the past few years and it worked perfectly each time.

Another tip is to carry a tube of superglue, which can be helpful with sealing around plugs. Although I've never had to use it on road tyres to date.
Old 03-27-23, 11:57 AM
mvnsnd

Bikes: Factor O2, Caad10, Caad2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Yesterday one of my relatively new Schwalbe Pro One tubeless was punctured by dog knows what - I was on a gravel path at the time - I now know these tires are not suitable for light off road. The hole is on the tread and not the sidewall. Tried bacon plugs (2 separate attempts) and both failed, and one backed out. Perhaps the remaining sealant was inhibiting proper adhesion? The hole is probably .25mm in size. Was thinking of using a standard tube patch on the inside of the tire and then cover the patch with some Gorilla Tape.

Who has had success with an internal patch and what did you use?
This size hole should have just sealed by itself with sealant. What sealant were you using?
Likes For mvnsnd:
Old 03-27-23, 01:16 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
I've had decent success gluing some waterproof canvas to the inside of the tire, but that was on a tubed tire. I've also glued fabric-reinforced rubber sheet, but that's pretty stiff material (I have that in the GP5000 tire I'm using now, and it's holding fine).

Maybe the tube patch idea to make it for sure air tight, then the canvas on top would do. The canvas prevents the hole in the tire from opening up.

I use Super Glue, but others have reported using contact cement to glue down the canvas.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 03-27-23, 02:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
A .25mm puncture is basically a pinprick, and should've sealed up before you noticed it. What sealant are you running, and what psi? Have you checked your sealant level lately?

Anyway, I would plug it carefully and ride on. If for whatever weird reason it didn't seal up by itself, a plug should work. Otherwise pull the tire and use a tire boot like the ones from Park Tools.

+1 on the Dynaplug recommendation. Bacon strips are pretty primitive in comparison.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-27-23, 06:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by mvnsnd
This size hole should have just sealed by itself with sealant. What sealant were you using?
Originally Posted by Koyote
A .25mm puncture is basically a pinprick, and should've sealed up before you noticed it. What sealant are you running, and what psi? Have you checked your sealant level lately?

Anyway, I would plug it carefully and ride on. If for whatever weird reason it didn't seal up by itself, a plug should work. Otherwise pull the tire and use a tire boot like the ones from Park Tools.

+1 on the Dynaplug recommendation. Bacon strips are pretty primitive in comparison.
I used the Silca Ultimate Tubeless Sealant. Resplendent with carbon fiber strands to aid in sealing - uh huh. Might go back to Orange

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-27-23, 06:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Yeah it’s funny on the things I cheap-out on. I have successfully used bacon strips on my Conti 5000s and rode 3000 miles after with never a hitch, so I figure they were good. Should just go the Dyna-plug route and make life easy.

There still was a fair amount of sealant left in the tire case when removed but when I flatted, the pressure (70 lbs) went down remarkably fast to I guess about 30 psi. Quite the mess on the frame, etc.

Old 03-27-23, 10:30 PM
Canker

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I carry bacon strips on my mtn bikes but I splurged and bought a dynaplug for the road bike. I haven't used one yet but I really didn't want to worry about the higher pressure tires blowing bacon strips out.
Old 03-27-23, 10:50 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by Canker
I carry bacon strips on my mtn bikes but I splurged and bought a dynaplug for the road bike. I haven't used one yet but I really didn't want to worry about the higher pressure tires blowing bacon strips out.
Due to the recommendations, just ordered the Road version of Dynaplug. Thanks all

Old 03-27-23, 11:07 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
0.25 mm is something I would need a low-magnification microscope lens to see. Are you sure you don't mean 2.5 cm, which is about an inch?
Old 03-28-23, 03:32 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
If its really only 0.25 mm you can use "super glue". Works with tubes too. Else there are proper patches for gluing to the inside of the tyre. Rema has some. They are blue, forget the name.
Old 03-28-23, 05:20 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
0.25 mm is something I would need a low-magnification microscope lens to see. Are you sure you don't mean 2.5 cm, which is about an inch?
One extreme to the other! How about 2.5 mm?
Old 03-28-23, 09:47 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by PeteHski
One extreme to the other! How about 2.5 mm?
or 2.5 Ĺ ?
Old 03-28-23, 09:57 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I'm now downvoting Darts
Bike Forums - View Single Post - The 2023 How Was Your Commute? Thread
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 03-28-23, 10:20 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
FWIW, & it may not apply to the OP exactly but I've had good luck with a smear of Shoo-Goo on problematic sidewalls. It's made to adhere to latex rubber shoe soles. Since tubeless sealant and many tires have a strong latex content the 2 products seem compatible for bicycle use.

I don't see how it's a big deal to let the sealant dry, rub off all that will come off & then apply Shoo-Goo in whatever rubber area needs a little extra help. If it's co-opted to help a bacon strip so so much the better.

(I've also glued down a patch of rip-stop nylon for emergency sidewall repair to good effect. Tubed, of course.)
Likes For base2:
Old 03-28-23, 10:34 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Tubeless....amirite?

I have had luck with Effetto Mariposo's tappabuco strips. In the tread. Granted at gravel pressures.

Darts from Stans - I have had 50/50 luck with them.

Dynaplug - 50/50 luck.

Using an innertube - 100% luck.

Old 03-28-23, 09:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

After reaming the hole with the spiny hole reamer tool (the imagination reals) to roughen up the casing - the hole was considerably larger to insert the bacon. Mystery solved.

Gave up on the idea of patching the tire since the *&%*% thing is so tight to get on and off, it wasn’t worth the effort for a failed experiment. My thumbs and finger tips are still sore from the efforts. So, instead of replacing with the Pro Ones, I used Conti’s latest GP 5000 variant and it popped right on and seated immediately. No struggle, no muss or fuss.

I have ridden my original Conti GP5000s on miles of gravel with never an issue, so no more uber expensive Schwalbes.

Old 03-29-23, 09:50 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The nice thing, however, is tubeless is vastly more convenient and makes tires immune to flats.

Win/win

[/sarcasm]
Old 03-30-23, 07:17 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Tubeless,

60% of the time, it works every time .. ;-)
Likes For Racing Dan:
Old 03-30-23, 07:31 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 1,009 Posts
In the instance I had a large nail get jammed into my tire. I had to use pliers to pull the nail out. I put 2 plugs in, but I still had a minor leak that would not seal. The tire only had 200 miles, so I decided to pull the tire, clear it really good, let it dry, then I put some Gorilla Glue super glue on the plugs. Since I did that, I've put over 1800 miles on the fix since and not had an issue with the tire since, and it is a rear tire to boot.

Old 03-30-23, 11:02 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts
I saw the OP already ordered Dynplugs and that is my preferred plug. But I have had small leaks that won't stay sealed from ride to ride. In those cases, I have patched the tire from the inside. I use a regular inner tube patch and apply the same way. I do everything I can to clean the area and rough it up a bit. This has worked very well for me. I've put hundreds and in some cases probably well over a thousand miles on a tire with this type of patch and it holds fine until the tire is worn out.

If I have had to plug the tire, I just leave well enough alone. I've never removed a plug and attempted to patch.
As for sealant, I use Orange Seal. I do think Stan's work really well to plug punctures. But many tires seem to come with leaky side walls and I've had tires that Stans would simply never stop the sidewalls from leaking. Orange Seal seems to do that fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.