Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

$35 Fixies at Target

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

$35 Fixies at Target

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-13, 01:29 PM
markinmad

Bikes: '11 Raleigh Clubman, '62 Dunelt, '96-ish Trek 720 beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Remember when people used the telephone to call places?
Back when I worked at Target, that was often the first indication there was a great deal afoot and we would scarf them up before the regular folks.

"no sir, we're all out of that bike|camera|tv" heh heh heh.
Old 02-05-13, 02:02 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
The fact that a bicycle can be manufactured, shipped and sold at the retail level for $35 makes me kinda sad.
Old 02-05-13, 02:23 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Economics is a crazy rabid dog.
Old 02-05-13, 10:33 PM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
The fact that a bicycle can be manufactured, shipped and sold at the retail level for $35 makes me kinda sad.
I really have to believe something else is going on here. Call me naive, but they have to be selling it at a loss at that price. That is also the only model the had on sale at the store I bought mine.
Old 02-06-13, 12:15 AM
JS1965

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Roubiax 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
40 HUH....
U look pretty good....

I gotcha by 8yrs

I wouldnt buy this bike unless I took it totally apart and put it back together
JMHO
Old 02-06-13, 06:35 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't put it back together. Maybe slap that single speed wheelset on a bicycle frame that doesn't weigh as much, and ride away from the rest of it.
Old 02-08-13, 04:53 AM
Cappuccino
No brakes. Can't stop.

Bikes: Rusty 63cm Azuki.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I own one of these, so I've decided to throw out my opinion on it. Excuse me if I'm doing something wrong, or make myself look stupid in general.

I got one about 2-3 weeks back at $80. I can't compare this to anything else, and I have no doubt that anything even slightly more expensive and well built then this will feel 100x better, but so far I love mine and it hasn't fallen into bits yet, so there's that. It's a huge step up from what I was previously riding, which is whatever the hell this is (https://i.imgur.com/3MO4One.jpg), so this is an upgrade and sadly, probably the nicest bike I've ever had.

This is how it sits now.

I took off the riser bars and swapped the pedals for SPD M520L's as soon as I got home, so I can't speak for the bars and pedals, but I'm sure the bars are fine. The grips felt quite nice too, which was a surprise. Pedals, probably not so much. Plasticy and cheap, plus they're got reflectors. Who uses reflectors these days anyway? Put the Origin 8 Bullhorns on and looks like a different bike already! The chainguard came off too, as did the brakes. I did keep the chainring guard though, because it helps keep my jeans out of the chainring and I wrote "spaaaaaaaaace!" in orange sharpie on it because it makes me go faster.
I had a couple short rides with the stock saddle, and man, all the adjustment in the world couldn't have made it comfortable, so I got a Retrospec saddle which has miles less padding and is miles more comfortable. Like, the stock saddle was stupidly uncomfortable. Plus, I'm sure I shaved off a couple hundred pounds with the saddle switch too.

As you can see, no brakes because A.) Gets me ton of street cred and B.) Brake levers don't fit on the bullhorns. In fact, I (stupidly) snapped the plastic housing on the levers trying to fit one on. The levers themselves didn't feel that sturdy though, and the brakes didn't inspire confidence either. In fact, when I took off the cabling, the ends were already quite frayed, and the lines just kind of fell apart. I'm planning on getting some reverse levers sometime in the future though, since I live in a hilly area and don't like thinking about going 30 miles an hour with no brakes on my commute to my friend's house.

Now we get to the wheels. Ahhh, wheels. When I got the bike, the rims seemed to be fairly in true. I've been on a couple rides since, and they're a tiny bit out of true, but nothing noticable. However, I'm not surprised, as 300lbs will do that to a cheap wheelset. The tires are at 50 psi right now, and they're quite comfortable rolling over things like train track and pavement, and even the occasional crack in the road sometimes. Down curbs, too! I am, however, quite annoyed at how wide they are (38c), and will be attempting to get new tires soon.

The bike it's self is quite heavy though, and I'm not sure what to attribute it to. I want to say the silly wide tires, but I think it's the frame. I'm planning on replacing the crankset, since I can't change chainrings, so that should take some weight off too.

Dunno why I'm putting money into it, but it's a fun bike and it gets me around. I'm new to fixed gear bikes and more serious biking in general, so keep that in mind when you're thinking of what an idiot I am when reading my thoughts/review thing on this bike.

Last edited by Cappuccino; 02-08-13 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-08-13, 05:32 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

You may find that crankset weighs a ton, it's metal looks and feels like pig iron . Think you have the talent to make this bike better.
Old 02-08-13, 06:06 AM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cappuccino
I own one of these, so I've decided to throw out my opinion on it. Excuse me if I'm doing something wrong, or make myself look stupid in general..
Sorry cobs, you managed that as soon as you decided to post on here

If I were you, I'd fit a brake, but I'm an old phart who'd like to become an older phart.
35mm tyres? Why? Yup, I'd change them, but only after I'd ripped the stuffing out of them perfecting my skidding. On the other hand, with cheap hubs, you can strip the locking ring thread by moving the cog backwards and popping the lock ring over its thread - I've done this to two Quando hubs which says as much about my technique (wasn't moving my weight forward) as it does about hubs made of cheese.

Your wheels were built on a machine which builds things within set tolerances. It's not unusual for even expensive machine built wheels to go out of true. Retension and retrue them and you will probably find they'll do quite well.

I reckon you've made a good buy, and it gives you something to ride while you plan and excecute your next build ... because there will be another one.
Old 02-08-13, 01:30 PM
okane

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Couldn't resist buying one for $36.00!!

Originally Posted by JS1965
40I wouldnt buy this bike unless I took it totally apart and put it back together
JMHO
Got it home and put it on the stand and fixed the following: Headset loose, brakes front/rear not adjusted properly (pad on rear also hitting tire), front wheel bearings had no grease, rear wheel hub bearings too tight, bottom bracket too tight--needed adjustment, both tires had less than 10 psi, both wheels needed to be tuned, whew! By the way, tires are uni-directional....how does that work with a flip flop hub. Interestingly, the tag said, "Roll me to the register, I'm ready to go." Not complaining, just relating my experience. I'll ride it a bit when the weather breaks. If I don't like it can probably get $50 for it at a yard sale. Whatta you want for nothing ($36), rubber bisket? To end on a good note, rear wheel bearings/bottom bracket had grease.
Old 02-08-13, 02:30 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by okane
By the way, tires are uni-directional....how does that work with a flip flop hub.
No road bike tire is truly "uni-directional", despite what the tread looks like and how it is marketed.
Old 02-08-13, 02:33 PM
ddeadserious
Cat Enthusiast

Bikes: All City Nature Boy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But hydroplaning, dude.
Old 02-08-13, 02:49 PM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

True. I do average about 370 mph.
Old 02-08-13, 06:51 PM
europa
Grumpy Old Bugga

Bikes: Hillbrick, Malvern Star Oppy S2, Europa (R.I.P.)

Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrodzilla
True. I do average about 370 mph.
Methinks thou dost exaggerate.
Old 02-08-13, 08:44 PM
azgreg

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I told him a million times not to exaggerate.
Old 02-08-13, 09:39 PM
linus
Crawler

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
I've seen some ****ty bikes in my days, but this got to be the lowest quality crap I've ever seen.
Old 02-08-13, 11:47 PM
Cappuccino
No brakes. Can't stop.

Bikes: Rusty 63cm Azuki.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gravity Aided
You may find that crankset weighs a ton, it's metal looks and feels like pig iron . Think you have the talent to make this bike better.
Thank you! About the crank, I've heard it's really heavy, but since I have nothing to compare it to I'll just take your (and other's) word on it. Which is also why I'm planning on getting a new crankset sometime later. Hopefully sooner.

Originally Posted by europa
Sorry cobs, you managed that as soon as you decided to post on here

If I were you, I'd fit a brake, but I'm an old phart who'd like to become an older phart.
35mm tyres? Why? Yup, I'd change them, but only after I'd ripped the stuffing out of them perfecting my skidding. On the other hand, with cheap hubs, you can strip the locking ring thread by moving the cog backwards and popping the lock ring over its thread - I've done this to two Quando hubs which says as much about my technique (wasn't moving my weight forward) as it does about hubs made of cheese.

Your wheels were built on a machine which builds things within set tolerances. It's not unusual for even expensive machine built wheels to go out of true. Retension and retrue them and you will probably find they'll do quite well.

I reckon you've made a good buy, and it gives you something to ride while you plan and excecute your next build ... because there will be another one.
Yeah, I'm going to fit a brake on it when I can buy one. About the tires, I'm going for a 28c Thickslick in the back, and possibly the Vittoria Zaffiro II up front.
Old 02-12-13, 11:11 AM
az_andrew

Bikes: 2009 Masi Speciale Fixed LTD, 1993 Specialized Allez Transition, 2012 Cinelli Gazzetta (in progress)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why spend $35 when you can get it here
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...611973240.html
Old 02-12-13, 11:15 AM
Scrodzilla
Your cog is slipping.

hahahaha
Old 02-12-13, 05:55 PM
Gravity Aided

That's great comedy.
Old 02-16-13, 06:36 PM
Lockeskidney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
no way that bike is still available. "will go fast"
Old 02-16-13, 06:45 PM
seanifred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wow! just wow!
https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bik/3618641929.html
Old 02-16-13, 07:07 PM
SS_Giant
might be Phil Schwartz

Bikes: thats none of your information BF

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crackheadcraigslister
Not no walmart piece of **** either
lolz
Old 02-16-13, 07:46 PM
Gravity Aided

I used to think I needed movies to be entertained. Now I just pick up a Target sales flyer, and watch craigslist.
Old 02-16-13, 07:54 PM
jerseyJim

Bikes: Surly LHT, Wabi Special, All City Big Block, 1933 Iver Johnson Mobicycle, Giant TCR Advanced

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seanifred

I call Bull****.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.