Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How far to ride Tubeless Tire plugs?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 05-26-22, 06:30 AM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts

I have a puncture in my tubeless road tire. It will be days or weeks until my replacement order arrives. I have STANS tubeless plugs. Are plugs general good for hundreds of miles or general only meant as an emergency repair for short distances?
Old 05-26-22, 06:37 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Sounds like you're gonna be riding it...So perhaps you can come back and give us the answer.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-26-22, 07:27 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,393 Times in 1,927 Posts
What's the advantage of tubeless if the plugs aren't a permanent fix for punctures?
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-26-22, 07:36 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by rbrides
I have a puncture in my tubeless road tire. It will be days or weeks until my replacement order arrives. I have STANS tubeless plugs. Are plugs general good for hundreds of miles or general only meant as an emergency repair for short distances?
I've always plugged and carried on without concern, and never had a plug fail. OTOH, I had a sidewall rip that I decided was not pluggable, so I booted & tubed on the road. If I had tried plugging, that may have been a failed plug story.

So YMMV.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-26-22, 07:42 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,836 Times in 2,294 Posts
My answer is sort of a non answer. Plugs work well till they don't. Assume you can tide a plugged tire till it leaks from the plug again. Andy
Old 05-26-22, 07:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6929 Post(s)
Liked 10,931 Times in 4,668 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
What's the advantage of tubeless if the plugs aren't a permanent fix for punctures?
The advantages would be (1) sealant takes care of many punctures that would otherwise require a rider to stop and put in a new tube, (2) plugs could at least get a rider home without having to do a more time-consuming repair. Oh, and (3) plugs can usually be left in the tire as a long-term repair.

JusJohnDThompson 's post with new eyes, and am wondering if he was posing a rhetorical question. If so, my apologies!

Last edited by Koyote; 05-26-22 at 08:42 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-26-22, 07:46 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Question: Are tubeless plugs a permanent solution when addressing a flat tire?

Answer: It really depends on the plug and puncture, sometimes they will last for the life of the tire, and sometimes you'll see them start to leak again when you refresh the sealant. Generally our Dart tool and plugs are the longest lasting, as they actually react with the sealant & form a solid plug of sealant around the actual insert.

Question: Would it be ok to treat the plugged tire no different than if it were never plugged as long as there are no leaks from the plug insertion area?

Answer: As long as it isn't leaking &the plug is secure, than yes it is no different than an intact tire.

Answers were from: Isaac Smith at notubes
Old 05-26-22, 07:47 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Installed properly, a plug should last until the rest of the tire wears out. As JohnDThompson noted, If a plug isn't a long-term fix, why bother? I haven't plugged a bike tire but I know from experience a car tire, properly plugged, is good for the rest of it's normal life span.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 05-26-22, 07:48 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
my takeaway is, *IF* the sealant is not relatively fresh or is lacking some, then it might behooved of you to "top off" the tire with some additional new sealant at the time of inserting a plug.
Old 05-26-22, 08:02 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Putting in a plug is a pretty rare occurrence. It's for a gash, not a simple puncture from a thorn or tire wire. Sealant alone takes care of those. If you are doing it, it's reasonably likely you are plugging damage severe enough you'd want to consider replacing it whether it was tubeless or not. The same situation where in a tube clincher tire you might use a boot (or a candy wrapper or a dollar...) And then it's not really about the sealant or leaks. It's whether or how many of the cords were cut and how you feel about that. In a MTB tire that runs at 20 psi or less you might worry a lot less. Some people even sew them up. In a road tire you are running 4x that pressure. I think I'd hit the pause button.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-26-22 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 05-26-22, 08:21 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
This is kind of academic. Putting in a plug is a pretty rare occurrence.
Maybe on those nice California roads it is, but in Baltimore I get a lot of punctures in my tires and some don't seal well. I put on new tires recently and there were four plugs in my rear tire when I replaced it.

Back on the original question, yes they should last until the tire needs replacing.
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 05-26-22, 09:25 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 1,194 Times in 687 Posts
Points system

Originally Posted by rbrides
Are plugs general good for hundreds of miles or general only meant as an emergency repair for short distances?
Can you earn enough points to keep using that tire.

+5 points if the type is MTB
-7 points for a road tire
+10 points if it's a rear tire
-15 points if it's a front tire
+10 points if the damage is in a good spot to repair
-30 points if it's in a bad spot for a repair
-1000 points if you can afford to just replace the tire and move on
+5 points if it's a little hole and the sealant has chosen not to to cooperate today.
Unless you only maintain & top off the sealant after it's all gone and you flatted. then +Tubes for you!
-15 points if it's a big hole and you should know better.

Come on... What did I miss

Barry
Old 05-26-22, 01:26 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
IMO I would just put a proper tubeless patch on the inside and be done with it. No worrying if it's going to fail. Plugs are great for roadside repairs though.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 05-26-22, 05:15 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Maybe a patch to reinforce it? I had a little gash in my tire in this thread. It had one of those little sticky patches on it which got me home. I've since replaced it with a patch from a Park VP-1 kit... it's the best I could find that was available locally. They're not tubeless specific but certainly beefier and I wanted something with a vulcanizing adhesive. So far so good.
Likes For Ryan_M:
Old 05-26-22, 05:36 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 671 Posts
I use Dynaplugs and leave them in until the tire is worn out. Don’t really give it a thought.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 05-26-22, 05:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
A couple of days ago I rolled over a mass of white chewing gum about 3 miles into a 52 mile ride. I stopped twice to scrape it off as best as I could, but it was incredibly adhesive. Maybe instead of a tire boot, we should carry some chewing gum. Tire goes flat and sealant doesn't do it? Just chew on a stick of gum for 5 minutes, pull it and any fillings out of your mouth, and jam it into the hole from the inside. Maybe that plus a plug would last indefinitely.
Old 05-26-22, 07:29 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
A couple of days ago I rolled over a mass of white chewing gum about 3 miles into a 52 mile ride. I stopped twice to scrape it off as best as I could, but it was incredibly adhesive. Maybe instead of a tire boot, we should carry some chewing gum. Tire goes flat and sealant doesn't do it? Just chew on a stick of gum for 5 minutes, pull it and any fillings out of your mouth, and jam it into the hole from the inside. Maybe that plus a plug would last indefinitely.
I actually do that. An old piece of old 1 cent bubble gum. The kind that gets nasty and hard after about 30 seconds. It will actually work when a puncture won't seal. It works as a larger plug and with sealant, holds enough to get back to the car.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 05-26-22, 10:13 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 189 Posts
I've had the basic bacon strip plugs work themselves out before I could finish the ride. I'm sure the effectiveness varies with source and perhaps age of the material. I switched to Dyna plugs, and they have worked until the tire is worn out. For leaks that don't seal well, but I don't need to plug to complete the ride, I remove the tire and apply a common inner tube patch to the inside of the tire at the leak. These also last until the tire wears out.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 05-26-22, 10:24 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I only recently learned that modern chewing gum uses butyl rubber as its base, so it's not that crazy of an idea.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-26-22, 10:31 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
This kind of thing seems to happen whenever I put on some new $$$$ Rene Herse tires.

When I first heard/felt/saw it, it was this big blob of white rubbery crap, and I thought "oh, I must have had a puncture" and then I realized there was no possible way that was Panaracer sealant.
Old 05-29-22, 12:59 PM
rbrides
Curmudgeon

Bikes: Specialized Diverge Comp

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 28 Posts
I found new tires at LBS. No testing of the plugs for me.