Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Where'd You Ride Today? (New & Improved)

Old 09-06-22, 09:40 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Last ride - pictured above on the Rickert was a 'tour' of the area, but it omitted something. What was missing was.... the start/stop location. And I found a pic taken at the end of that ride, that shows home base. But I hit the 10pic limit to edit the above post.

Home is about 3km of paved road from the Animal Sanctuary at the base of the hill. Cougar Mt.
You can almost see home, somewhere above the small red barn, at the blue sky level, below a few treetops.
On a second ridge line, about 400' (130m) of elevation gain.
AKA = the only road home.
and other things, at the end of a longer ride w/ 52/42 rings and vintage freewheels.
Old 09-06-22, 09:55 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
jamesdak - if possible, ride that Calfee on a wheelset with round (28-32) spokes. My guess = it will ride more like a traditional steel frameset with a bit more drivetrain responsiveness. 24mm tires is what I ran on mine until recently, 25mm was a better bargain buy.
Old 09-07-22, 10:09 AM
northbend 

Bikes: 1937 Hobbs; 1977 Bruce Gordon; 1987 Bill Holland; 1988 Schwinn Paramount (Fixed gear); 1999 Fat City Yo Eddy (MTB); 2018 Woodrup (Touring) 2016 Ritchey breakaway

Mentioned: 291 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 667 Posts
These are the best of days, Late summer…

Starting from the Crystal Mountain Ski Resort at noon I ride to Sunrise inside Mount Rainier National Park for lunch with a view yesterday.
Sunrise Point 1 by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Picnic at Sunrise by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

Portrait of my Mule by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

The descent on Sunrise Road is one of the best you’ll find anywhere....
Heading down from Sunrise by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr

A Post Ride Beer on the patio of the Snorting Elk Bar at the Alpine Inn serves as motivation on the final climb back up to Crystal Mountain.
Post ride hydration at the Alpine Inn at Crystal by Matthew Pendergast, on Flickr
Old 09-07-22, 12:31 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,933 Times in 1,763 Posts
Back out again this morning for around 33 miles. Today was all about the Kuwuhara Count I picked up yesterday. On an impulse this morning I got it sorted out a bit and took it out. Didn't try to push it today at all because the bikes not been ridden in over 20 years but at times the ol' girl just took off on 'er own. Got it from the original owner who had it since he was 12. Lot's of smoke in the air today, you could smell and taste it. There was a fire last night on the other side of the mountains so it may have come from there. Great ride this morning that found me singing to the bike most of the ride, we connected right away despite it's weight and being a 57cm.

By the lake this morning.

By the lake this morning.

Huntsville Park

Old Cabin

Grimy and dull when I picked it up but the paint came right back to like with a clean and polish.

Came with Shimano 6207 bubs and Wolber Competition Gentleman's GTA rims. Swapped them out the morning as I hadn't serviced the hubs yet.

I think it's quite pretty. Going put black bottle cages on it once I get some.

Came with a Super Turbo saddle but those never agreed with me.

Got quite a few paint chips in 'er but man I would have loved to see this brand new.

Classic!!
Old 09-07-22, 07:14 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I turned 50 today, so after a lovely lunch with my 50-year-old wife, I grabbed a 50-year-old bike and rode TWICE my age (in dog years)!

I've been ridding the Basso a lot, so the best I can say about the Super Course today is that it looks fabulous and the brakes are great! We set a personal best on a flat segment with a tailwind, so I guess that's another point for the SC, or maybe for the tailwind.

That bridge closure made me detour under the Burnside Bridge, and by the skatepark. I took one pic and caught a guy catching air. Lucky shot!

The ol' plate glass window shot.

Mt Hood gets naked for my birthday.

Finished 'er off with the ol' graveyard climb. "Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think."
Old 09-08-22, 12:26 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Well yesterday was my oldest and heaviest road bike so today I took out my newest and lightest. Crazy thing is yesterday was a whole light funnier, a whole lot more comfortable and the pace was even better. Go figure....

View as I left the driveway

Huntsville town square

Spent a stupid amount getting this under 16lbs, love how it looks, and it just SUCKS on the rough roads up here.

Another beauty shot

Local in and coffee joint in the town square.

Snowbasin

Nice place, the river runs through the trees behind it.

I love old stone structures like this
Old 09-08-22, 08:13 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Urban Photo Safari - West Side of Saint Paul

I have 13 days of summer vacation left, and this is a project that still fascinates me. Like many small cities and large towns in the USA, Saint Paul is changing at a rate faster than I have ever seen. We are losing a lot of our cherished landmarks to modern developments which, to my eye, don't photograph nearly as well or represent our local history and unique aesthetic. So now I ride slowly, early in the morning, and late in the afternoon, looking for those hidden gems that I normally just breeze right past. Here are a few from this morning:

Bad neighborhood! Several times while trying to get these two shots, the hair on the back of my neck stood up. I would look around and see some guy in a doorway looking at me and talking on his phone. That's when I started watching very carefully for a van or large SUV to come barreling down the street.

Some jackass in a diesel pickup rolled coal around the corner I was set-up at, and my first thought was that he was laying smoke to obscure some imminent attack. That was my cue to depart.

The river draws me like a magnet, any time I get near it. Today there was a new feature I had never seen before. The blue seal, apparently named "Sparky", is a symbol for something or other - I'll admit, I didn't read the plaque.

Instead I heeded the growling of my stomach, shot the scene from two different angles, and headed off to Gallagher's Bar and Grill for breakfast.

Tomorrow the weather takes a turn for the worse: cloudy and rainy most of the day. That will give me a chance to run some errands and take care of some long-procrastinated chores. Maybe I'll even get a head-start on one of my winter project bikes. That $20 first-generation Schwinn High Sierra is about ready to build.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-08-22, 08:47 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3862 Post(s)
Liked 6,450 Times in 3,190 Posts

Just up the road a ways.
Old 09-09-22, 06:50 PM
jamesdak 

Had to go back to work today but still working on the 10 different bikes for 10 straight days of 30 miles each....

Cold front came in last night but unfortunately brought in a lot of smoke. So the after work ride wasn't hot but it was real windy and very smoky. Put in the miles but took it easy. Last's year's smoke killed my lungs so I'm hoping to avoid those problems again this year. Today was the beautiful Pinarello because I knew it would roll well against the winds without making me work too hard.

Garden in Huntsville

This shows how smoky it is.

Can't hardly even see the mountains in this shot.

The bucks always hang out in the valley bottoms when the hunt begins, LOL!
Old 09-10-22, 01:44 PM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
A little old lady in her 90's with a huge following and an impressive real estate portfolio and art collection, passed away earlier in the week. Her main gaff was a few miles from where I live, and the traffic has been a complete nightmare ever since as hoards of people and seemingly the entire world's media have arrived to mourn or gawp.

Despite the fawning one sided press coverage it is worth remembering that tens of millions of Brits don't care for the Royals at all, though you'd never think this from turning on the TV. Like them or not the cogs of anointing a new King have clunked into gear, and its a bit surreal as virtually none of us were old enough to remember the drill as it was so long ago that it last happened. One thing we know for sure, we are going to get waterboarded with pomp and ceremony and make us wish we were a republic.

So with press helicopters buzzing around and hoards of out of town zombie royalists staggering about the streets, seemingly not knowing who they are, where they are, or where they're going, my cycling hazard klaxon is sounding loudly, so I decide to head over the other side of the city as fast as possible for some peace and quiet!

And the best place to go for quiet on the weekends is the business district, which pretty much emptied at 6pm yesterday and won't get busy again until Monday morning.

Old and new on Plantation Lane, the concrete and glass a little lacking in colour for my liking, but a 90's Italian racing bike brightens up the scene

The text in the ground is part of a permanent art exhibit called Time and Tide by Simon Patterson. The theme is a reference to the long and varied history of the city and of the moons constant influence on the tides of the river Thames which has ebbed and flowed throughout. The text on the ground references events, people, places and institutions related to the City’s past and present. More info here from a local office worker who recorded and formed it into an ordered list :
https://commuterconsultant.com/2016/...toflists-html/
Just around the corner from there is the 'gilt of Cain' sculpture. Unveiled by Desmond Tutu in 2008 it commemorates the abolition of the Transatlantic slave trade in 1807 and started the process of abolition of slavery across the British empire.

One of they key protagonists in this struggle along with the more well known William Wilberforce, was Reverend John Newton, a slave trader turned preacher and abolitionist, who preached at the church in the middle of pic I posted above on Plantation Lane. The granite sculpture is composed of a group of columns surrounding a podium. The podium calls to mind an ecclesiastical pulpit or slave auctioneer’s stance, whilst the columns evoke stems of sugar cane and are positioned to suggest an anonymous crowd or congregation gathered to listen to a speaker". The artwork is the result of a collaboration between sculptor Michael Visocchi and poet Lemn Sissay. Extracts from Lemn Sissay’s poem, ‘Gilt of Cain’, are engraved into the granite. The poem skilfully weaves the coded language of the City’s stock exchange trading floor with biblical Old Testament

I head north into trendy Hoxton and Shoreditch where the artworks are a more unofficial but still impressive, this one is by Ant Carver.

I was getting Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom vibes from this one....

I then did a wide arc returning home to avoid the zombie hoards, stopping for a pic at the Royal Albert Hall.

There's already a Queen Elizabeth 2nd Centre in Westminster, but I expect we're due a new Liz memorial/conference centre/mall soon, along with a new King Charles (insert spaniel joke here-he's got the ears for sure) statue. And of course all our money is due to start changing now too, with ol big ears being printed up on our coins and notes. I guarantee the ears will be photoshopped and won't be actual size

I round off the journey with a trip through Battersea park, and after months of drought its been raining a lot this week, and the fountains were finally working again, yay

I chill here for about 10 mins, until the fountains work their magic and I suddenly have an uncontrollable urge to pee, so I race the final mile or so home before there's an unscheduled sprinkler incident.

PS bah I been having major issues with editing posts in last few weeks, where an edits mess up a;l the pics and links so I had to go through ad enter the all again, Bah! Very annoying.

Last edited by botty kayer; 09-10-22 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-10-22, 01:49 PM
jamesdak 

Back out this morning on a cool but windy day. Took the Softride this morning, man is it a good ol' bike. The headwinds hardly seem to phase this one. I did get a rare flat about 12 miles into the ride. I hate being far from home with only one tube left so I returned home, stocked up again, and then just went north to get enough miles in to make 40 for the day. I liken the Softride to the Tennessee Walking Horses we raised on our farm. They both just glide under you no matter how rough the conditions.

I just have to admit this is an odd looking bike that really doesn't have any visual appeal to me. But it's so sweet under me on the road.

I bet this thing would ride even smoother with a nice steel fork on it.

Over by the Inn in Huntsville. They rent these out for camping in.

Across from the Teepees. Right after I took this I did a U-turn and realized right away that the rear tire was going down.

Horses north of the house.

Typical road up here.

Another shot of the cool "Dark Skies" mural.

Last little climb of the ride.
Old 09-10-22, 07:55 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by botty kayer

I round off the journey with a trip through Battersea park,

I chill here for about 10 mins

PS bah I been having major issues with editing posts in last few weeks, where an edits mess up a;l the pics and links so I had to go through ad enter the all again, Bah! Very annoying.
I for one am glad you reentered your posts and pics. Thank you for doing so.

I enjoy the pictures and narrative of your riding around the London area.

That is a great looking multi-colored Simoncini bike.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-10-22, 08:29 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
botty kayer , I always look forward to your contributions in this thread. Many thanks for continuing to post pics and commentary of your travels (and personal observations, too) 'round what is my most favourite of cities

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 09-10-22, 11:38 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
I’m staying near Tomales Bay north of San Francisco for the weekend celebrating an anniversary. I reached out to @obrentharris for ride suggestions since he lives in nearby Pt. Reyes Station and always posts such wonderful ride photos. He did not disappoint. This is the route I chose:

Here is the view from the start of my ride looking out from the hotel room at Nick’s Cove.

The ride started north along Tomales Bay before heading inland.

Before heading inland I took a small detour to check out the small town of Tomales. I missed the town’s Labor Day festival.

Dry, rolling, expansive hillsides with dairy and cheese farms dominated the landscape.

Another behind the bars shot.

A view looking back from the summit of the short, steep climb up the Wilson Hill Rd. climb around mile 24.

Here’s a shot of the mystery bike at the top of the Marshall wall climb, the final climb of the ride before a fun, winding descent back to the coast. You can see Tomales Bay below in the distance.

Last edited by gaucho777; 09-11-22 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-11-22, 07:15 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,375 Times in 891 Posts
I was planning to ride the Harmon Hundred Century for the first time since Covid. The ride area is in the red circle in southern Wisconsin. Only Freeking day it has rained all month…bummed.

Likes For thinktubes:
Old 09-11-22, 07:34 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 408 Posts
I got up early enough this morning to get ready and get to White Rock Lake in Dallas,TX to catch the sunrise.

Before that sunrise pic I snapped this full moon over the lake pic .

Dallas skyline is visible in distant background.

I like this vintage Peugeot so much I decided to start a thread on it.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...l#post22643404

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-11-22 at 11:33 AM.
Old 09-11-22, 12:49 PM
jamesdak 

Day 10, rest day tomorrow. Went out early with the temps in the high 40s. Lot's of smoke again though. Decided to finish off this 10 day session with the crown jewel Lemond Team Z. Knew that even if the legs were tired and heavy it would carry me the distance with ease. Front of left knee bugging me a lot during the ride. I average 18 mph for the final 12 miles of the 30 mile ride but the legs could have gone faster. Just worried about the knee so I avoided dropping another gear and powering it up to real speed. One thing I noticed today was just how smooth this bike feels on the road. It's got smaller tires and I ran a pretty high psi in them today but the ride quality was so good even on the rough sections. Didn't shoot too many pictures due to the hazy conditions.

Still a lot of smoke in the air

Heading out of Eden. This is typical "good" road surface for up here.

I LOVE this bike!!!

Yet another ride where the Delta brakes didn't kill me.

Ummmm....door.

Close up of the ski wall

Just past that tree is where a dog in 2018 came out from behind a parked trailer and ran through my front wheel. Separated AC and a permanently messed up joint in my left thumb.

One of many deer I'm seeing lately. They come off the ridges once the hunt get's going strong.

Such an iconic look

Bunch of new homes going in at the end of this road.
Old 09-11-22, 04:06 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mrs non-fixie wasn't happy with the brakes on her Zieleman. And since it's destined for L'Eroica next month, I needed to do something about that.

So I replaced the first generation Dura-Ace calipers with a set of nearly new Weinmann 605's with modern brake pads, as well as the NOS green cable housing with dull new, but lined grey stuff.

And we went for a test ride.

I really like those Weinnmanns, and they turned out to be an improvement:

The ride wasn't very eventful. We did pass by a spot I remember well from my youth. During my final years in high school I spent my summer vacations working on a garbage truck. This is where we often stopped for a beer. At 8:30 AM, after the first batch.

BTW, this is how it looked a century earlier, when it was already a well-known watering hole for travelers:

Modern convenience: solar-powered street lights:

And I made a selfie:

Old 09-11-22, 06:03 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Nice ride on the Palouse to Cascades trail this afternoon. It started out casually enough but turned into a big hammer fest with lots of sweat because, well . . . . I just can't seem to ride casually. Lots of smokey haze in the air but no wind which is a plus for us.

Rock climbing anyone?

Old 09-12-22, 08:18 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
What was supposed to be three days of riding with BF member Prowler on Schuylkill Valley bike paths turned into just a dingle ride/day, due to weather.
But it was one heck of a glorious ride, on our matchy-matchy (kind of) '87 Schwinn Voyageurs.

We rode the Perkiomen Trail, a former train line, from Green Lane to the end and back, which follows the path of the river. Beautiful, sunny day with temps in the low 80's

Many grins had by all

Undisclosed secret location (but think VERY creepy on a dark, rainy day) where Prowler helps to restore older balloon tire bikes. Think Rollfast, Free Spirit, ones I've never heard of before.
Most of the ones pictured are scavenged for restoration bits. Prowler is very adept at restoring rusted junk to shiny finished product. Impressively so!

Old 09-12-22, 12:22 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Ride with 10 year old granddaughter Saar, 33 km together and as reward ice cream.
Great fun!

Old 09-12-22, 12:45 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Quoted: 1676 Post(s)
Liked 3,084 Times in 911 Posts
Raced Mother Nature today

Forecast for today was showers through the morning, thunderstorms in the afternoon, so kinda figured it would be a no ride day. I lolligagged over my coffee, walked the dog, by which point the sun was out, sky was clear, roads dry. Radar was clear so decided to hop on the bike for 30-40 miles. Well about 15 miles in could see some bruised looking sky off to the west, so decided to cut a little short and turn for home. Skies rapidly darkened, so I tired to put a little pep in my step, which got a little peppier when I heard thunder behind me. Before long it was thunder over my head, although I thankfully never saw any lightning. By that point I was riding like a solo breakaway with the desperate peloton storm trying to reel me in before the line. I thankfully made it with a few minutes to spare and just a few stray drops falling on me.

Maybe I should stop goofing around on the side of the road.

15 minutes after getting home
N = '96 Colnago C40, '04 Wilier Alpe D'Huez, '10 Colnago EPS, '85 Merckx Pro, '89 Merckx Century, '86 Tommasini Professional, '04 Teschner Aero FX Pro, '05 Alan Carbon Cross, '86 De Rosa Professional, '82 Colnago Super, '95 Gios Compact Pro, '95 Carrera Zeus, '84 Basso Gap, ‘89 Cinelli Supercorsa, ‘83 Bianchi Specialissima, ‘VO Randonneur, Ritchey Breakaway Steel, '84 Paletti Super Prestige, Heron Randonneur

Old 09-12-22, 01:06 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2192 Post(s)
Liked 4,581 Times in 1,762 Posts
Originally Posted by fabiofarelli
That is a lovely portrait. I think she likes you.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 09-12-22, 01:14 PM
fabiofarelli

Bikes: Especialy Alan, but also Empella, Cascarsi, Gazelle, Bianchi, CJV, Sirocco, Berkers etcetera

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 997 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
That is a lovely portrait. I think she likes you.
I guess so ...
Old 09-12-22, 04:25 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts

Came across this vehicle stopped at an expressway underpass with no one around it.
For some reason the old W.C. Fields joke popped into my head:
”Didja check the wheelbase?”

Last edited by leftthread; 09-12-22 at 04:28 PM.
Likes For leftthread:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.