Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Reasons for choosing an electric bike.

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Old 09-16-22, 09:50 PM
I_like_e_bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

What makes you choose to buy an electric bike, the speed? Convenient? Or other?
Publish your opinion.
Old 09-16-22, 10:00 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I justify my E bike 100% on the fun factor alone. Everything else is just gravy.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 09-16-22, 10:49 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 189 Posts
My wife and I have ridden over 20000 miles on ebikes the last seven years. If these were regular bikes, it would probably be 350 miles.That reminds me that I have not ridden my regular bike all year, I gotta do that this month.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 09-17-22, 09:24 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
Originally I got an ebike because of covid breathing issues, but now that I'm much better it's completely changed. I'm hooked because of the fun factor, convienence of not arriviving sweaty at work, speed, the additional exercise I get due to my riding longer when out & about, and overall joy I get from the darn things. They're just so much fun to ride. I could honestly care less about traditional "cyclists" disdain for ebikes. I've always admired them, but I was afraid to test the electric bike waters. Now that I'm hooked there's no going back!
Old 09-17-22, 09:33 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
I was too sick to ride so my bike let me ride till. was better. still not super healthy but I can ride uptown 250 miles a week. burn calories but still have fun and climb hills I could not do before. I wish I didn't to have the weight factor and extra cost but still I ride far more then I ever have. Plus I can carry stuff with no speed penalty.
Old 09-18-22, 05:43 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I got my ebike for consistent commute times in both directions. I was cycling on a cruiser it would take me anywhere from 40 - 70 minutes depending on what direction I was riding. I already beat public transportation in time so getting a more consistent commute time was the key for me.
Likes For alloo:
Old 09-18-22, 08:24 PM
Jsosborn

Bikes: Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0 SL; Specialized Creo SL EVO Carbon; Brompton M6L; Rad Runner 5, Cannondale Quick Neo, Giant beater

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
In 2020, I rode about 10 miles on my non-electric mountain bike, mostly just around town.

In 2021, I bought a Specialized Vado 5.0 SL and rode almost 3,000 miles, including a 2-week bike touring trip. (I may have bought a few more bikes that year in the heat of the moment.)

In 2022, I'm already at 3,000 miles, including solo rides from NYC to Richmond, VA, Pittsburgh, PA to Washington, DC, and NYC to Niagara Falls with three family members. I've got another 8-day ride coming up to ride across Florida round trip, with family members joining for some segments.

At age 63, I've found a hobby I hope to keep at for a few more decades.

That's why I bought my first ebike.
Attached Images
Likes For Jsosborn:
Old 09-23-22, 05:13 AM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I don't have one yet, but Iike the idea. Recently on a trip to San Francisco I was amazed at how many ebikes and scooters there were on the city streets. I don't live in a city, and I'm also retired sp I don't really need one for commuting, but it would probably be better for my knees. I have 2 total knee replacements and since I've had them for awhile there starting to make crunching noises when peddling. It doest hurt so much, but I'm thinking less work (electric assistance) might be nice.
For some odd reason I'm drawn to the Fiido X V2. I just like it. I'm just in the planning stages of this thought process. I have 2 folders, and a commuter that I could use as a guinea pig for a conversion. Idk. Anyway Iook forward to more articles on the matter.
we camp a lot with our truck and 5th wheel trailer, and getting around campgrounds and whatnot on an ebike sounds like fun. I think my wife would enjoy less peddling also. Something to think about.

Last edited by rvman; 09-23-22 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 09-23-22, 06:46 PM
Mtracer

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 179 Posts
I don't have one, but we got one for my wife a few months back. The reason, riding a regular bike was simply too hard for her. Where we live, you can't do much of a ride without climbing miles of nominally 3-4% grade. While not steep, it requires a level of effort she could simply not do at age 65 with some heath issues. Now, she is able to do 15 miles often and we just did a 20-mile ride yesterday.

Does it take less effort than a conventional bike, of course. But it takes a hell of a lot more effort than doing no riding at all. Also, I have noticed her cadence getting faster as she now has several hundred miles under her belt. So, she is getting stronger on the bike.

The E-bike has been a win all around. We are now able to enjoy riding together on some rides, though I still do my own faster and longer rides. But we can now enjoy riding together. She even met a neighbor with an E-bike and they do some rides together. My wife actually enjoys riding now.
Likes For Mtracer:
Old 09-23-22, 09:26 PM
rvman

Bikes: Jamis commuter 2 , engwe EP-2 Pro 750 watt

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
That's fantastic.
Old 09-28-22, 06:03 PM
newduguy

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I love my eBike

Originally Posted by I_like_e_bike
Publish your opinion.
I like the eBike because I can go farther, faster, and not overdo it. I live in hilly San Diego County and being a sprinter-type, the hills slow me to a crawl. I put my Favero Assiomas on the eBike and ride for 2-2.5 hours before the battery runs out (47 miles, 3,000ft elevation gain). I can hop back on the bike and do that 2-3 days in a row and get really good aerobic training in. I can't ride like that unassisted.

I also commute 30 minutes each way to/from work daily. I switch between my road bike and eBike when I want to work on hard efforts.

I'm buying an extended-range battery to get in 5+ hour rides. I should have almost 110miles of range and 3-4,000ft of climbing with both batteries.
Likes For newduguy:
Old 09-28-22, 06:22 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 570 Posts
I forgot to mention another very important factor in my choosing ebikes as my main source of pedal powered locomotion nowadays - I'm getting old, and it just makes my life so much easier knowing I can make it back home without asking someone else for assistance.
Old 09-30-22, 08:37 AM
davidjaxson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
I purchased an e-bike so I could ride to the office a few days per week and not be quite as sweaty. Turns out the bike is quite a lot of fun. I put a set or Ortlieb panniers on it and now the GF and I ride together to do a few errands. I guard the bikes will she shops.

I still ride my Cervelo on weekends but I can see the Tesoro Neo becoming more used. I have about 80 mile range and can ride a lot of the time with the power off for even more range. Lot of flat land where I live.
Likes For davidjaxson:
Old 10-05-22, 09:21 PM
IcySwan1 

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
Like Mtracer, I got them for my wife. I don't own one, but she has 2. One at our permanent home and one for our RV, Both have Burley Tail Waggin trailers for hauling her 2 little dogs. Just fun outings, not hard core biking or commuting. I am grateful technology allows her to get out and do this at 70. I do have to say that lifting her bikes onto the bike rack is a challenge, but still doable. So far.

Mike
Likes For IcySwan1:
Old 10-05-22, 10:00 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 599 Times in 340 Posts
To get back into mountain biking. I ride literally, mountains and with effort, I am once again able to get to the top
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 10-06-22, 07:20 AM
WilliamT

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 62 Posts
Can't do it on my regular bike while carrying all my gear. The 17-inch laptop is heavy enough, but to carry a suit, dress shoes, gym clothes, etc won't fit in 2 panniers. I have an electric cargo bike for that and my commute is 37 miles round trip. Overloading a road bike is probably not a good idea. A lightweight carbon road bike wasn't meant to be a touring bike.

Yesterday, I had to ride against a 20 mph headwind for 10 miles. No way I would want to do that on a regular bike.

I still attend club events on my road bike, but the ebike is basically my car replacement. Haven't driven into work in years.
Likes For WilliamT:
Old 10-06-22, 09:33 AM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
Health. At my advanced age, first it was to save my knees while still allowing me to continue rides that involved a lot of climbing. A later diagnosis of Myasthenia Gravis meant e-assist was the only way I could keep riding, as I can kick on the motor when my muscles give out. While e-assist is fun and a great environmental alternative and there are lots of other non-medical reasons to have one, I feel really fortunate that I live at a time when it's an option for those of us who couldn't ride without. The thought of not being able to ride at all is really depressing - I know you understand. As long as i can ride, I can deal with anything. It's mental as much as it is physical.
Likes For linberl:
Old 10-07-22, 12:04 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
Where I prefer to ride there are frequently winds coming across the ocean and a 8-10 mph wind take a fair amount of energy to overcome and maintain my speed. With the e-bike I use it with a 25% pedal assist setting and so the wind is no longer a factor in terms of my speed or distance. Unfortunately a lightweight Class III pedal assist bike is very expensive at this point in time and we spent more than $15,000 for our two Specialized Creo bikes. On the plus side the bikes weigh 27 lbs and so a regular bike rack can be used and no problems with lifting them up on the rack.
Likes For Calsun:
Old 10-17-22, 07:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
a cpl thoughts after using one for the 1st time, a cpl days ago, on Martha's Vineyard, a vacation destination
OMG these are amazing
we love "the button"

it allowed us to visit a spot w/o a car that would otherwise have been outside our ideal paired cycling desires. meaning while we could cycle to this particular spot, we wouldn't. I might on my own but not w/ Wifey. what the electric bikes did for us is take the physical burden off the trip. the motor helps you eat up the hills
you can almost always keep the shifter in high gear, because the motor helps you get up to speed
I cranked up the power setting but the bike seems to like to top out at 20mph
when you are traveling faster, just like w/ regular bikes, it sometimes makes it harder for cars to figure out when to pass you. when just pedaling a regular bike, you don't pose this issue to the cars & they can just pass you easily. but if the speed limit is 25 & you're going 20, finding the right opportunity to pass you, against oncoming traffic, requires more planning by the driver & I can understand why this might be annoying. so I slowed down in some spots, to let the cars pass easily. Wifey on the other hand, was blissfully humming along waaay ahead of me.
I haven't thought of a use back at home. meaning I wouldn't buy one to replace what I have now, for the rides I do now. the only exception might be the 22 mile work commute. having an electric bike, would make me more likely to bike commute. it can cut down the travel time & it would be less of a physical effort. so it would be a good fuel saving device, reducing car usage. I live in a condo, so storing it on my patio would be OK, as opposed to a gas or electric scooter, because we have only 2 parking spaces
using electric bikes will definitely help with schlepping to & from the ferry to a house or a hotel. no one has to come pick you up & a taxi isn't needed. added benefit of that is, you're less likely to pack extra stuff, knowing you'll be limited to what you can carry on a bike. altho, as I was walking, with my partner, w/2 backpacks, a duffle & a broken rolling suitcase, I was thinking about an electric bike with a cargo trailer! oh boy don't get me started!
I would prefer a bike that was more like what I ride now, but just with the added benefit of the motor. the electric bikes we rode were a bit more upright & the saddle was a bit wide. I pedaled as much as I could but was limited by the geometry of the frame

Last edited by rumrunn6; 10-17-22 at 12:30 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 10-17-22, 08:06 AM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
my ebike saves me about 40 minutes a day on my commute. hauling groceries does not slow me down. I still burn 400 or more calories a day commuting on it. then when covid hit wife and I bought a e tandem the first tandem bike. once her butt got used it it we rode every day. I would get home from my ride commute then hop on the tandem and ride 10 or so miles weekdays and 30 or more miles weekends. I would never be able to ride 250 miles a week on a regular bike.
Likes For fooferdoggie:
Old 10-17-22, 12:35 PM
yapanadam

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sound of silence...
Old 10-23-22, 05:15 PM
localbikelad

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I dont have one

I dont have an e bike, but I always get passed by people with e bikes on my commutes to work. I have mixed feelings, but mostly negative.
Old 10-23-22, 06:28 PM
davidjaxson

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by localbikelad
I dont have an e bike, but I always get passed by people with e bikes on my commutes to work. I have mixed feelings, but mostly negative.

Old 10-23-22, 08:53 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
I moved to a hilly rural area where it’s 10-20% inclines on trails and roads. I also got old and fat so I was pretty much riding downhill and pushing uphill. I lost weight and bought other bikes but the ebike helps with farm chores w/0 killing myself. especially in hot humid summer.
Old 11-27-22, 04:41 PM
Cworthy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by I_like_e_bike
Publish your opinion.
When I first became interested in e-bikes, it was simply as an aid to exercise. I live in an area filled with hills, and many are too steep for me to handle on a conventional bike. I also did not like getting my heart rate nice and high going uphill, and then suddenly being forced to rest on the steep downhill. After several weeks of research, I selected magicyclebike.com as the best bang-for-the buck. My e-bikes have made hill country exercise much more efficient. After a few weeks of riding, it didn't take me long to discover the other many benefits of e-bike riding...improved health, joint flexibility and strength, economical transportation, loads of fun, programmable pedal assist (sweat a little, a lot, or not at all).
Likes For Cworthy:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.