Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Mold in Camelbak drinking tube

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 10-02-22, 03:53 AM
BikeGuy2

Bikes: 1. Trek fuel ex 8 GX 2022 ML. | 2. 1995 Green Trek Mountain Track 850. | 3. Avanti Pisca pro-Track bike. | 4. Some 10 year old upgraded BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello fellow riders,
I have noticed a lot of this stuff that looks like mold in my Camelbak drinking tube. I have tried using vinegar, dish soaps and letting it soak but this does not work. Can anyone tell me a solution to getting rid of it?
Thanks
Old 10-02-22, 04:48 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 409 Posts
What I do if/when I get mold…take the tube off the bag, and mouth fixture off tube. Straighten out a wire coat hanger (make sure it’s at least as long as the tube). Spray a bleach solution into the tube. Then force a small wad of cotton or cloth through the tube with the wire until the mold is cleaned off. Rinse thoroughly, and reassemble.

To prevent mold in the future…if you’re putting sugary drinks in the bag…make sure everything is rinsed thoroughly after each use. If it’s necessary to keep unused beverage in the bag…keep the bag in the garage fridge between uses.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 10-02-22 at 04:56 AM.
Old 10-02-22, 05:56 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I push a ball of wet paper towel through with a length of cable housing. With my latest pack, I decided to stick with plain water to avoid this issue.
Old 10-02-22, 06:42 AM
streetsurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 282 Times in 149 Posts
Get a tube brush
Old 10-02-22, 06:42 AM
Oakman

Bikes: Road, hybrid, and SS

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 37 Posts
In addition to cleaning after use, remember to let thoroughly dry before storage.
Likes For Oakman:
Old 10-02-22, 06:57 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
This is why this kit is made.
Old 10-02-22, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Soak for a time in water and Clorox bleach. Or soak in hydrogen peroxide. Or soak in some water and Oxyclean.

Hydrogen Peroxide probably works the best. But bleach is cheaper and always on hand here. I sometimes will have to take the silicone nipples apart on water bottles and soak them good when little bits of mold or mildew start showing. Probably would be better to just regularly soak them before it shows up. But I haven't gotten into that habit.
Old 10-02-22, 09:15 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Tube brush and bleach.
Old 10-02-22, 10:06 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeGuy2
Hello fellow riders,
I have noticed a lot of this stuff that looks like mold in my Camelbak drinking tube. I have tried using vinegar, dish soaps and letting it soak but this does not work. Can anyone tell me a solution to getting rid of it?
Thanks
I would not use bleach. It’s not really meant to be consumed. Soak in hydrogen peroxide with a bit of dishwashing liquid. Then physically remove any remaining bits with a piece of chinelle (pipe cleaner for the less sophisticated) dipped in the same solution. That’s what “pipe cleaners” were designed for. Rinse well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Last edited by cyccommute; 10-02-22 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-02-22, 10:18 AM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Clean somewhat frequently and hydrogen peroxide is a great bleach substitute. If it is too bad already, just buy some new tubing at Hone Depot. that way you also can different lengths.

I used to store them in my freezer after use. That way you prevent any growth. it is nearly impossible to get it 100% sterile after every use.
Old 10-02-22, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Common household bleach, otherwise known by the brand name of Clorox is good for both a disinfectant and sanitizer. And it's EPA approved and at the proper dilution levels it even tells you on the label that it is safe for dishes and utensils and other things you use with food.

Not certain why the caution not to use bleach. However I will agree that hydrogen peroxide generally works best between the two for mold and mildew. Especially on porous surfaces.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-02-22, 01:54 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
Beat me to it!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 10-02-22, 02:37 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I would not use bleach. It’s not really meant to be consumed. Soak in hydrogen peroxide with a bit of dishwashing liquid. Then physically remove any remaining bits with a piece of chinelle (pipe cleaner for the less sophisticated) dipped in the same solution. That’s what “pipe cleaners” were designed for. Rinse well.
Who's consuming bleach? I've been cleaning bottles and bladders/tubes for years with bleach. I rinse it out w/ this stuff called water. Camelback makes cleaning kits, why bother using anything else?
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 10-02-22, 04:36 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Who's consuming bleach? I've been cleaning bottles and bladders/tubes for years with bleach. I rinse it out w/ this stuff called water. Camelback makes cleaning kits, why bother using anything else?
New thread: What’s the best CamelBak tube cleaning water?
Old 10-02-22, 07:26 PM
kwb377 
Definitely an amateur...

Bikes: Obed Baseline, Stumpy FSR

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 32 Posts
I have a CB bladder soaking with a bleach/water solution as we speak (type?).

A capful of bleach in 3L of water...let sit for a day or so, then rinse with warm water. I've been cleaning hydration bladders using that method for @ 20 years with no ill effects to me or the bladders.
Old 10-02-22, 08:13 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by cxwrench
It is foolish to use the toxic alternative when a nontoxic, or at least less toxic, alternative exists.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-02-22, 08:46 PM
cyccommute 

Originally Posted by Iride01
Common household bleach, otherwise known by the brand name of Clorox is good for both a disinfectant and sanitizer. And it's EPA approved and at the proper dilution levels it even tells you on the label that it is safe for dishes and utensils and other things you use with food.
Those are generally hard surface materials that are easy to rinse completely as well as being unreactive towards the dishes and untensils. The same can’t be said of the plastic. It does react with the plastic and the break down products aren’t necessarily good for you.

Not certain why the caution not to use bleach. However I will agree that hydrogen peroxide generally works best between the two for mold and mildew. Especially on porous surfaces.
Because household bleach is not that safe to use. It can be irritating and it can have bad reactions is mixed with certain chemicals. Hydrogen peroxide…in household concentrations…doesn’t have the same problems. There is little that the peroxide could react with to make any side chemicals. It does much the same thing as chlorine bleach without the issues. And, contrary to what has been said above, hydrogen peroxide is cheaper… about 3¢ per ounce vs 6¢ per ounce.

As someone who have worked extensively with chlorine and chlorine containing compounds, I can tell you that is not a material to treat lightly.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 10-02-22, 10:28 PM
Ridinglurker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Don't they dunk chickens in bleach to disinfect the meat?

I understand the concern with plastic and bleach, though. Best to avoid any chlorine. Even if you don't touch or ingest it, it's gases attack your lungs.

As for H2O2, I recently bought 12% off Amazon since most what is sold is 3% only. You can see it foam when it hits organic matter. At my workplace the custodians clean the bathrooms with a machine that uses a hydrogen peroxide cleaner. It is much more environmentally friendly and less harsh than what they used before.

Only caution is that it can degrease your skin. Do wear some gloves. But that is true for any cleaner.
Old 10-03-22, 05:28 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
To prevent mold in the future…if you’re putting sugary drinks in the bag…make sure everything is rinsed thoroughly after each use.
I empty the bladder immediately after use and wash with dish soap, including the drinking tube and valve, even if I've only had water in the bladder. I never store anything in the bladder. If I haven't emptied it during my ride, I do so immediately afterwards To dry, after rinsing I shake all of the water out that I can, loosely stuff some paper towels in the bladder, and dry the drinking tube by whirling it around so that the residual rinse water is forced into the valve, then shake out the water from the valve/blot with paper towel. The tube and valve are the most likely places for mold to develop, they warrant extra attention during the cleaning process.

It's a pain, but I've learned from hard experience (i.e. having to throw away my first Camelback bladder, and a couple of bottles). The combination of sugary drink and any backwash from one's mouth create a perfect environment for bacteria/mold growth. Rinsing/washing/drying bottles and bladders always, and I mean ALWAYS, takes place within half an hour of ride completion - I think of it as part of my "cool-down".
Old 10-03-22, 07:04 AM
Dino_Sore

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by andrewclaus
The tube brush here does a great job of cleaning out the mold. In addition to cleaning out my hydration pack IMMEDIATELY after riding, I will occasionally fill it with hot water and drop in a couple of denture cleaning tablets and let it sit for a while.
Old 10-03-22, 07:19 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
As others have suggested a bottle or tube brush works.

Be aware that if you opt to use a bleach solution, go sparingly with the bleach. It can damage the liner of the bag itself and actually lead to further problems with mold and such.
Old 10-03-22, 07:28 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
If you've got mold in the tube, a combination of bleach solution and tube brush may be needed. I'd think about a quick rinse, followed by scrubbing with the brush, then coil the tube up and soak it in a bleach solution. Rinse with water (three times or until you're bored holding it under the faucet) and dry thoroughly.

To prevent recurrence, as noted previously, use only water in the hydration pack. (Carbs and salts go in a more easily cleaned water bottle.) After each use, I unplug the mouthpiece and bladder plug from the tube and dry it open. You may not need to do this if you're using the hydration pack daily, but my tube is clean and still long enough after several years' use and annual trimming (to deal with stretching over the end pieces).

Originally Posted by cyccommute
As someone who have worked extensively with chlorine and chlorine containing compounds, I can tell you that is not a material to treat lightly.
Reminds me of the middle 1970s when the California legislature considered a bill to outlaw chlorine in any product. IIRC it passed one house before someone pointed out that salt (NaCl) would also be outlawed by that bill. This kind of phobia isn't really called for. "The dose makes the poison" still applies. The soaking can be done outdoors if the bleach odor is offensive, diluting the outgassing hypochlorite to well below the damage threshold.
Old 10-03-22, 07:33 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by pdlamb
but my tube is clean and still long enough after several years' use and annual trimming (to deal with stretching over the end pieces).
Family forum, pal. Reported!
Old 10-03-22, 07:44 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Family forum, pal. Reported!
Walked right into that one!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-03-22, 09:11 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
New thread: What’s the best CamelBak tube cleaning water?
been making my own auto windshield washer fluid. well, not from scratch, I buy the tablets & use them with distilled water

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.