Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I being gluttonous?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I being gluttonous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 02:17 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Sounds pretty normal to me, gets boring riding the same bike all the time. You could take up golf and spend a lot more if you want.
Tim
I have one bike. I am never bored riding it.
Old 11-13-22, 03:09 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
I have one bike. I am never bored riding it.
I bet you can only ride one bike at a time too.

Old 11-13-22, 03:11 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
OP, you have a serious problem. You need to expand your horizons. Yes, you got a gravel bike and you will give its due. But you also need an MTB. If you cheap out and get a hardtail, you'll eventually need a full suspension as well.

3000 road miles a year is not insignificant, at 20 mph average that's almost 3 hours a week, every week of the year. I have five bikes, each with a different niche - road bike, urban/cx greenway bike, gravel bike, hardtail MTB and FS MTB.

Changing primary biking modes between seasons is nice and avoids burnout. You want an expensive hobby? Try auto-cross/taking cars to tracks, any form of flying. Golfing can suck up all sorts of $, hunting and fishing can suck up all sorts of time, and $ if you let it. You get fatter participating in some of those endeavors.

Biking is awesome. Either get off of this forum, hang your head in shame and take up scrapbooking or start scheming your next bike and upgrade details. Of course, always live within your financial constraints.
Old 11-13-22, 05:39 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
The big question is are you married or single? If you're married, are your bike purchases endangering your marriage? If your bike purchases are endangering your marriage, do you consider that a problem?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-13-22, 07:20 PM
Dimago123

Bikes: Giant TCR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
wow that’s deep. It’s been a journey to figure out my hobby and myself. Thanks for putting it in perspective

Originally Posted by base2
I don't know if I have much to add but figure out what you're after.

I have a vintage hardtail mountain bike,
a long wheel base camping bike that is more of a rigid mountain bike than a road,
a gravel bike that the OEM sells as a rigid,
a gravel bike that was designed as a gravel bike,
a carbon aero-ish road bike,
a ridiculously light steel bike,
a vintage road bike
a folding bike,
a newsboy
an e-bike

I'm sure I am forgetting one.

For me the hobby is: "The hunt." Every single bike I own is especially configured to some specific goal or aim. To pursue some novelty of technology. The light steel bike? Disc brakes & 16.25 pounds as ridden. The folding bike? Bus trips with 14 speeds of planetary gear sets both crankset & hub. The camping bike? Continent crossing & travel. The e-bike? Belt driven, igh. etc...The point is every bike I own is purpose built as a unique expression of my knowledge, learning, & interest in the diversity of technology available to the field.

OP: Figure out what your hobby actually is. Is it riding bikes? Racing bikes? Building bikes? Learning about bikes? Being faster than the other guy? A tool for camaraderie & a sense of community on group rides?
Likes For Dimago123:
Old 11-13-22, 08:43 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Are the purchases bringing you joy? Are your finances stable after all these purchases? If yes to both, you're doing ok.
Old 11-13-22, 09:44 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
The big question is are you married or single? If you're married, are your bike purchases endangering your marriage? If your bike purchases are endangering your marriage, do you consider that a problem?
In that case, n + 1 = s - 1, where s is the number of bikes you own that would result in divorce. Ergo, with simple algebra, s = n + 2, so you have nothing to worry about with one more bike purchase. You're welcome.
Likes For Rogerogeroge:
Old 11-13-22, 11:36 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

You know, I forgot about that. I'm sure there is a fine line somewhere between eye rolling and serving court papers.
Old 11-14-22, 12:32 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123
I feel like I’m starting to spend too much on this hobby. How many bikes is too much? I only ride about 3000 miles a year but I already have a carbon road, steel road, I built a monster cross machine I barely put 300 miles this season, and now I put a down payment for an aluminum frame.

is this the nature of this hobby or should I reevaluate what I’m doing with my life?
compare what you've spent in total to what a very small boat or average ATV would cost. And how much you use your bikes compared to the average small boat or ATV user. You'll feel much better.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-14-22, 06:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Originally Posted by Camilo
compare what you've spent in total to what a very small boat or average ATV would cost. And how much you use your bikes compared to the average small boat or ATV user. You'll feel much better.
There are certainly many hobbies more expensive than biking. Have you ever known anybody with a horse?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 11-14-22, 07:14 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimago123
I feel like I’m starting to spend too much on this hobby. How many bikes is too much? I only ride about 3000 miles a year but I already have a carbon road, steel road, I built a monster cross machine I barely put 300 miles this season, and now I put a down payment for an aluminum frame.

is this the nature of this hobby or should I reevaluate what I’m doing with my life?

Thanks everyone for making me feel not crazy or alone on having multiple bikes.
Some people like to "collect" bikes, even if they don't ride all that much. Others may need multiple bikes for multiple riding disciplines e.g. road racing, touring, TT, gravel, cyclocross, commuting, mtb etc.

You just have to sit down and think honestly about why you are buying these extra bikes? Is it because of your need for different riding styles? Is it because you simply like looking at them and tinkering? Is it because you think your current bikes are lacking in some way? Or is it because you keep needing to buy something new to maintain interest? It could be all of these things or something else. But there will be a reason and you just need to figure it out for yourself. If you can't figure it out with rational thought then you may have a problem. A bit like asking a compulsive gambler why they gamble. They don't really know, they just do it!
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 11-14-22, 07:26 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I bet you can only ride one bike at a time too.
LOL. We ghost ride 2 transfer bikes from one shop to another sometimes.
I like riding my bike, I don't particularly like bikes, it's the same for most of my other sporting good equipment, but I'm jaded having been in the industry forever. That being said, I will not be the one to discourage folks from buying as many bikes as they'd like, whether they use them or not.
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 11-14-22, 10:49 AM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
There is huge satisfaction from building a bike where everything is working perfectly and smoothly, fits just right, and is simply a joy to ride.
That sounds like the Lego paradox. Some are more fun to build than to play with. Everyone makes their own choices, but IMO building a bike without the actual need for its specific functionality points to the building being of more interest than the riding. This from a guy who has a road bike, a hybrid for around town, and a bike for the rollers. No need for anything else so no desire to acquire another bike.
Old 11-14-22, 12:54 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
That sounds like the Lego paradox. Some are more fun to build than to play with. Everyone makes their own choices, but IMO building a bike without the actual need for its specific functionality points to the building being of more interest than the riding. This from a guy who has a road bike, a hybrid for around town, and a bike for the rollers. No need for anything else so no desire to acquire another bike.
My road bike clashes with my club's current jersey color. Good reason?
Old 11-14-22, 01:38 PM
MikeM21

Bikes: '96 C40, '04 C50, '04 Merlin Magia, '97 Stumpjumper, '04 Specilaized Roubaix

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 178 Posts
N + 1, dude, N + 1.

I just got a C-40 to keep my C-50 company hanging on the wall and I turn 60 in February, so a C-60 can't be far behind!

Wifey has long ago learned to deal with my obsessions.
Old 11-14-22, 04:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
There are certainly many hobbies more expensive than biking. Have you ever known anybody with a horse?
Or an airplane?

Last edited by Camilo; 11-14-22 at 10:46 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 11-14-22, 04:29 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I'm ok, you're ok.
Likes For datlas:
Old 11-14-22, 04:54 PM
phedge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 260 Times in 89 Posts
Gluttonous is fine, it's when you descend into insatiability, voraciousness and wolfish you really gotta worry. I've seen it, it ain't pretty. Next step is piggishness, that's bad, no one here can help when you get to piggishness.
Likes For phedge:
Old 11-14-22, 05:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
I went through a big acquisition phase the last two years. Went from 3 bikes to 10. Every new purchase made sense - to me - in the context of the bikes I already had. Finally, last December, I bought a 1995 Litespeed Ultimate. It was a complete bike(mostly), but I really bought it just for the frame. I spent about the same price I'd paid for it to build it up with R8000 Ultegra kit. I finished that build maybe 6 months ago. In all that time I have not once felt the need, or even the desire, really, to add another bike to my collection. I still ride all of them, but mostly the Litespeed. It was like it filled the last corner and switched off the need for more. So, "Ultimate" turns out to be a good name for it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 11-15-22, 05:37 AM
Jeff Neese

Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I have seen this on many forums including musical instruments, vintage razors, pipe smoking, and now bicycles. I was never that interested in smoking a pipe, but when I left the forum, I completely lost interest, which leads me to think forums increase acquisitions.
I'm taking your comment as tongue-in-cheek. Surely you know that you didn't lose interest in the hobby because you left the forum. You left the forum because you lost interest in the hobby.
Old 11-15-22, 07:20 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
I'm taking your comment as tongue-in-cheek. Surely you know that you didn't lose interest in the hobby because you left the forum. You left the forum because you lost interest in the hobby.
I wasn't clear, it is my opinion that forums increase acquisitions.
Old 11-15-22, 08:36 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
If you can afford it, it makes you happy, and it doesn't negatively impact your life, then go for it.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-15-22, 08:39 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
You could take up golf and spend a lot more if you want.
There are a lot of hobbies which are a lot more expensive than riding bikes. Want to get rid of a lot of money quickly? Go buy a boat or a horse.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 11-15-22, 12:25 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Chuck Naill
I wasn't clear, it is my opinion that forums increase acquisitions.
Maybe that's the idea. The OP wanted confirmation that what he's doing is normal.
Old 11-15-22, 12:28 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Fear not! Help is on the way. The current issue of the Adventure Cycling magazine has a review of a Titanium Moots bike for $13,000.00+ so you have plenty of headspace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.