Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Fragile GPS Mounts

Old 01-25-23, 11:18 AM
gkamieneski

Bikes: Pinarello Gavia TSX; Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 61 Posts
Fragile GPS Mounts

I am using my Bryton 320 on two bicycles, one with the OEM rubber band mount on top of a Cinelli stem (I have a separate thread in the C&V forum regarding how to put an out front mount on 26.4 bars) the other on an actual Bryton out front mount.

Recently I got a Chinese out front mount with swappable adapter buttons for Garmin and Bryton. After just 2 installs/removals of the Bryton head unit, the plastic of the Bryton adapter cracked (thankfully I was not out on the road, or I would have lost my GPS). When I search, I am hearing a lot of problems with these plastic Garmin/Bryton/Wahoo/Cateye button adapters. There even seems to me a market for replacement adapter disks. This fragility is something I have never even considered with my OEM rubber band Bryton mount or with the Bryton Sport Mount.

One manufacturer, KOM, uses these adapter discs but recesses them into their alloy holder. I wonder if this a solution to the fragility of the plastic discs? Seems the reinforcement of the alloy holder itself could help the plastic disc survive multiple on/off twists? On the other hand, this same company, KOM, sells "replacement discs", so who knows.

I suppose it is possible that if these discs are going to crack, it will happen when installing/removing the head unit and probably will not happen unexpectedly while out on the road.
Old 01-25-23, 11:42 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Garmins come with a lanyard which nobody uses but they should. It's only a minor annoyance to use it. It's not too hard to find stories about cyclist getting hit by a car when they do a u-turn looking for their gps. It's also not too hard to find threads on here about people that lost their gps.
Old 01-25-23, 12:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
I use a Velo Endeavors/Amazon mount for a Garmin, as well as Garmin mounts. Never had issues with the Amazon version. I do read of common problems with Hammerhead mounts breaking.
Old 01-25-23, 01:17 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I have used a mount I found on AliExpress and others, and found there's a wide range of quality in those plastic biscuits. I can't recommend one brand or the other, I'm afraid.

Also, what you're mounting and where you're riding will make a difference. If you've got a big computer, it's got a greater moment of inertia that the biscuit needs to counteract; if you're riding off-road or on rough chipseal, that's going to stress the mount more.
Old 01-25-23, 03:52 PM
gkamieneski

I think the KOM Bryton mount is looking better and better to me. I like how the plastic biscuits are recessed below the alloy walls of the out front mount. Seems it has to make a positive difference.
Old 01-26-23, 10:32 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
I used the same two rubber o-rings on my Garmin 500's stem mount for almost ten years. So maybe quality of them varies with the quality of the product being purchased. I don't believe all o-rings are created equal. Nor are they made for the same purposes.

I use my Garmin 530 with the Garmin out front mount that came with the device. So no o-rings required. Even though Garmin also gives with the device the old ¼ turn stem mount and a crap load of o-rings with it.

I do use the lanyard. It's easy to loop around the bars since they made it out of a stretch material. My Edge 500 didn't have a place for a lanyard IIRC. I never had either fly off the mount.
Old 01-26-23, 10:44 PM
gkamieneski

I found a lanyard I had laying around and have taken to using it with my Bryton 320 which has the spot to thread it in. I will feel a little better now about using these fragile plastic mount biscuits with the lanyard holding onto the bars. It really isn’t in the way and weighs practically nothing.

Even the expensive Bryton Sport out front mount I use has the plastic biscuit on top unsupported around the circumference.
Old 01-27-23, 11:28 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by gkamieneski
I found a lanyard I had laying around and have taken to using it ....
I use a different type of GPS than most others, mine uses a different type of mount. I have always used a tether cord on mine. And a few times I have noticed that mine is hanging from the tether. There is no downside to using a tether.