Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Merckx TSX team Motorola variable offer description

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Merckx TSX team Motorola variable offer description

Old 10-12-22, 12:46 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,127 Posts
Originally Posted by BMC_Kid
I had $10 riding on your response. Nailed it! Thanks!

Think I’ll go double or nothing..
No need to be snarky.
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 10-13-22, 01:11 AM
CyclesMakaron

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 396 Times in 259 Posts
I had $10 riding on your response. Nailed it! Thanks!

Think I’ll go double or nothing..
I would be obliged if you would limit your writing in this thread to relevant issues. My favorite vendor just offered a set of photos (four!) of this unfortunate piece of paper. Ask for them and post them here - make yourself useful for something.
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-13-22, 04:14 AM
BMC_Kid 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by CyclesMakaron
I would be obliged if you would limit your writing in this thread to relevant issues. My favorite vendor just offered a set of photos (four!) of this unfortunate piece of paper. Ask for them and post them here - make yourself useful for something.
You writing endlessly about someone that obviously is not going to provide you with what you want is relevant. Some people believe the world revolves around them.
Old 10-13-22, 05:42 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 1,076 Times in 302 Posts
You writing endlessly about someone that obviously is not going to provide you with what you want is relevant. Some people believe the world revolves around them.
Leave this thread. You are barking up the wrong tree and not doing the vintage bicycle world/hobby any good. Just the opposite.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 10-13-22, 06:37 AM
CyclesMakaron

Your ramblings add nothing to the issue. If you can ask for the photos and post them here - do it. If you can't - don't bother.
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-13-22, 01:41 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Not your call and not your thread, seller should comply or not be selling, especially if they resort to disparaging you, me, him or BF like they have already done

Our parent Co. Ib should be urging efbay to intercede at this point for defamation and not allow it as we are a vital link for this sort of thing, advertising for them for free while validating the crap but arguably necessary service they provide.

Sellers refusal to heed a vetted serious expert is idiotic at best, his pricing is delusional, especially given his refusal to comply with informational requests.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-13-22, 02:11 PM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
Not your call and not your thread, seller should comply or not be selling, especially if they resort to disparaging you, me, him or BF like they have already done

Our parent Co. Ib should be urging efbay to intercede at this point for defamation and not allow it as we are a vital link for this sort of thing, advertising for them for free while validating the crap but arguably necessary service they provide.

Sellers refusal to heed a vetted serious expert is idiotic at best, his pricing is delusional, especially given his refusal to comply with informational requests.
The seller was certainly way over the top with his description. The rants coming from some members of this forum were well over cooked also. Bottom line is the seller did not except the comments from our so called expert. Our expert seemed to take it personally, way too personally. It is kind of sickening at both ends.
As someone else here suggested, let it go.
No one is going to buy that bike this go round anyway.
Likes For embankmentlb:
Old 10-14-22, 12:42 AM
CyclesMakaron

This is my last entry.
The description of the frame has been changed, actually annihilated - that's too bad, I'd rather it was just true.
It looks like it could have been made up from start to finish.
Unbelievable, but there are people who don't mind that - what bothers is trying to get to the truth.
I didn't see the mythical photos of the legendary "piece of paper" - that's too bad, because my goal was to verify the history of this frame.
I don't know if I'm a "so-called expert," I didn't take it "too personally," and if someone thinks (from the heights of his majesty) that my behavior and posts are on the level of "sick behavior" of a salesman, I can only wish him a speedy recovery.
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 10-14-22, 01:28 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by embankmentlb
The seller was certainly way over the top with his description. The rants coming from some members of this forum were well over cooked also. Bottom line is the seller did not except the comments from our so called expert. Our expert seemed to take it personally, way too personally. It is kind of sickening at both ends.
As someone else here suggested, let it go.
No one is going to buy that bike this go round anyway.
Again, not your call, not your thread.

And I'm pretty sure you don't want to be called "so called" in whatever your field, vocation, practice or serious endeavor is.

Maybe he did take it personally, I did too having followed and benefitted greatly from the expertise he gladly and freely provides on behalf of this forum.

He always responds promptly and succinctly when asked and tells us when there is doubt or confusion on his part or otherwise.

I would be glad to be half the expert he is on half of this stuff.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-14-22, 11:42 AM
merziac

"This is my last entry"

Hope against all hope this is ultimately not the case.

It would be a damn shame and shame on us if it comes to be.
Likes For merziac:
Old 10-17-22, 07:11 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Hesitant to revive this thread, but the asking price has been almost halved (still high, mind you) and all claims to it being a team bike have been removed. I did ask the seller for pictures of the info on the steerer tube, and he said he would send them, but I haven't received any and won't be chasing.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 01-22-23, 12:13 PM
CyclesMakaron

Warning - again

Old Motorola Team Racing Bike frame. Used. 57cm (as listed on the steering tube build sticker). Team Motorola paint color in blue, red and white. Some misc stickers on top tube. It has a number lug. It says Eddy Merckx so I assume it's an Eddy Merckx.

...as The Dude would say in Big Lebowsk : "...look, man,I've gotten certain information, all right? Certain things have come to light."

I can tell you with authority that this frame is a 1991 Team Motorola racing frame. I do not have all the details (i.e. rider), but I am privy to certain Merckx factory information that an eBay member has shared with me (visual information,build) that does nail down with complete certainty that it's a 1991 Team Motorola frame that was issued to the team. However I do not know the rider (yet) and I do not know if this can be recovered, but I do know in fact that it's a team bike with 100% certainty.

By a build sheet it's a 1991 Team frame supplied to the team. I stand behind this. Makes this a first-year Motorola team frame.

Zero proof - in fact
Old 01-22-23, 12:23 PM
merziac

Tx.
Old 01-30-23, 03:29 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 410 Times in 222 Posts
That listing is still there with 56 having it on their watch list. Personally. I rather dig the frame. Price is right in between two other later Merckx framesets having groovy team Telecom and team Panasonic schemes, those purported having SLX tubing.

Yes, we can surmise whether the seller is misrepresenting as an actual team issue, but our resident experts confirm its a legit Merckx framesets. The seller hasn't provided the proof to back his claims to the OP, yet seems convinced it as the real deal. This rhetoric is in everything and goes on everyday, everywhere. Leave it be, caveat emptor and move along. Let capitalism take place. Its a Merckx frame and apparently some 56 potential buyers can sort their own brains about it.

This bike community is sadly imploding upon itself. Very very small percentage of the younger generation don't have interest in this stuff, and certainly makes it worse when old forum members badger or intentionally create conflict. Unbelievable to see then rhetoric and dissing. I'm new here and have been called out for nothing! Ciao

Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 02-02-23, 01:11 PM
CyclesMakaron

Kindly refrain from unnecessary comments.
The value of this frame depends solely on anecdotal speculation.
The seller could provide concrete evidence - so far he has not done so.
Capitalism is not about pushing fakes on people at triple the price.
Caveat emptor is treated as an excuse for obvious crooks and is a disaster for honest people.
Right now there are at least 3 "team Motorola" frames/bikes being sold on ebay described as obviously fake - no problem unless it's you they're scamming....
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 02-02-23, 04:36 PM
chain_whipped

Jacek, much as I appreciate your Merckx deciphering thread and we got 'your' point about the seller and his listing. But you're so obsessed and others the same on this thread board. Absurd that you call others out as unnecessary, etc..

If it bothers you much about legitimately of that sellers frame, just dial Och up and leave a message with him or assistant. Surely you understand he's far too busy and likely doesn't give a ratzazz about things of this nature. But possibly as the key man back when, could point where or whom might these days have a record log book, archival supplier, serial numbers etc. related.

I personally can vouch for meeting Phil Anderson, once and it wasn't during any cycling venue, signing or PR event. Won't blab all the details but while he was stateside in 1991 at corp headquarters Motorola, Schaumburg ILL he took his free time detour elsewhere to meet -unnamed- at -unnamed- place of business, Lake Forest. It was a pleasure to meet and he parted by handing off a few personally signed jerseys.

That said, take a look at this article and pics. This is an example how things get construed and its not Phil's actual bike. -----But take the example further. I know of a few former pros who have near exact bikes to what they raced. Notice I said, "they have" and the term "raced." Well, they are the owners of that racing bike. Ciao

PS. I don't have to explain myself or allow anyone to tell me what to buy or not. Real or fake item. Do if give a ratzazz what you buy? Got my point?

https://www.ridemedia.com.au/product...-issue-merckx/

Last edited by chain_whipped; 02-02-23 at 04:52 PM.
Likes For chain_whipped:
Old 02-02-23, 09:29 PM
chain_whipped

Oh and one more thing, Jacek. You're piping to others as if the final bullet points about Merckx bikes as you depicted in the following screenshot. Hilarious because you don't even know what the Campagnolo Portacatena is!

Just to get you up to speed, here's a very well description. Bye, bye.
The Retrogrouch: Campagnolo Portacatena: A Neat Idea Whose Time Never Came

Old 02-03-23, 09:37 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Hey guys! Now is the time to request that this bickering and badgering stop. If you have something of value to bring to this thread then by all means post it. If not, then please move on.

Thank you.

Last edited by cb400bill; 02-03-23 at 04:40 PM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 02-04-23, 02:55 PM
CyclesMakaron

I can't answer the gibberish. I don't know where you get the notion that I don't know what Porta Catena is.

I didn't learn anything new from you about EMC.
If you wanted to advertise yourself everyone has a chance to judge how successful you were.

In conclusion

We belong to different civilizations - in mine a false description of the item being sold is fraud, in yours (and the seller's) it is irrelevant.
In my civilization we try to get as close to the truth as possible with irrefutable evidence, in yours (and the seller's) stories and legends that cannot be proven are more important.

We won't change that.
Let everyone go his own way - with a clear conscience.

I am back to my favorite activities - I like to help others.
Likes For CyclesMakaron:
Old 02-04-23, 03:01 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
I can't answer the gibberish. I don't know where you get the notion that I don't know what Porta Catena is.

I didn't learn anything new from you about EMC.
If you wanted to advertise yourself everyone has a chance to judge how successful you were.

In conclusion

We belong to different civilizations - in mine a false description of the item being sold is fraud, in yours (and the seller's) it is irrelevant.
In my civilization we try to get as close to the truth as possible with irrefutable evidence, in yours (and the seller's) stories and legends that cannot be proven are more important.

We won't change that.
Let everyone go his own way - with a clear conscience.

I am back to my favorite activities - I like to help others.
This is so silly. Just another lugged batch made vintage frame if someone wants to pay or charge extra because it has the myth of being used by some pro what’s the difference. In another generation it will be languishing in a basement or garage like all the others.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 02-04-23 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-05-23, 06:53 AM
Aerzon

Bikes: Raleigh Mojave 4.0, Panasonic DX1000

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
In another generation it will be languishing in a basement or garage like all the others.
Is this the sad future of C&V?
):

​​​​​​
Old 02-25-23, 01:18 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts

The real nightmare was reading...
...this entire thread.

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-25-23, 01:35 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Did you really think that from what I posted the translation issues were the most important?
Emphatically: yes!

In tracing lineage of a true Team bike (any team), clear and concise communication is key. It probably didn't help that you came off as a know-it-all, and - let's face it - a bit of a bully yourself. After reading your messages to the seller, I can clearly see why he didn't put much stock in the information you provided. Were I the seller, I'd have simply stopped listening to you - no matter your qualifications or access to Team bike information - because of your abrasiveness.

It's obvious the seller was confused by your terminology, but you simply labeled his confusion as lying and then began calling him out. Not a good look. No wonder he ceased communication with you.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-25-23 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Speeling again - damn, it's late...
Old 02-25-23, 02:17 AM
CyclesMakaron

I see no problem - contact this seller and ask him (at a high enough level of communication and culture) for these two unfortunate photos.
It is, after all, easy - good luck.
Old 02-25-23, 02:46 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

I see no problem - contact this seller and ask him (at a high enough level of communication and culture) for these two unfortunate photos.
It is, after all, easy - good luck.
Ask the seller? Regarding a possible Merckx Motorola Team bike? Why?

I have all the bikes I need. My comments had nothing to do with being interested in his auction as a potential buyer, whether or not it's a Team bike, or even whether or not he's lying - or simply misinformed. My comments are only in regard to the way in which you and the seller communicated.

Did you ever think of the possibility the seller isn't a bike mechanic, and perhaps doesn't have the tools to remove the fork? Apparently not; you simply assumed his failure to provide a photograph of the card (sticker) you described was a deliberate attempt at subterfuge.

Not everyone who owns and rides a bike turns their own wrenches. Those that do run the gamut from master mechanics who can do it all (including wheel builds), to shade tree mechanics who know just enough to loosen the seat post and stem bolts to adjust the fit to their preference and/or needs.

DD

Last edited by Drillium Dude; 02-25-23 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Speeling, emphasis, and added missing word(s)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.