Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-23, 10:24 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
Both my road and all-road bikes use rim brakes. For road riding (where I live) it’s perfect. When I’m on gravel / dirt trails on my all-road bike I sometimes want disc brakes (I’ve had them on numerous bikes). For gravel roads, and paved, the rim brakes are fine. For single track mountain biking I love(d) my hydraulic brakes (had V brakes on my first mountain bike...it’s night and day difference).
Old 01-06-23, 10:32 AM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts
yessir Deets is my hero. I don't give up on a garment just because it needs a patch. I have no immediate intention on replacing any of my bikes. I have a couple with rim brakes and one with disc. The disc is newer but of lower level groupset. My other two can share wheelsets. To "upgrade" to disc would cost far more than just a couple of new bikes...
Old 01-06-23, 10:34 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 487 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Of course I'm keeping my rim-brake bike! Why would I want to ride anything with heavier components? If I wanted more weight, I could add a kick stand.
Not just heavier. All of the stuff is on one side, so imbalanced.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 01-06-23, 10:40 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by drz400
Anyone else keeping their rim brake frames? Maybe I'm just cheap and won't pay the price but I don't get paid to ride so I'm keeping my rim brakes. Anyone else out there or am I just an old fossil ?

There are others out there AND you are an old fossil.

I am not getting rid of my rim brake bikes. They still work and I still like them, so of course I will keep riding them.
If my main road bike were stolen or the frame broke, I would buy a disc brake road bike to replace it...but those are the only scenarios I can think of where I would no longer use my main road bike that has rim brakes. And even then, I would still use some extra road bikes which all are rim brake.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-06-23, 10:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by wolfchild
......because cycling has become a fashion industry. If you don't follow the latest trends you will be looked down upon and not considered a serious cyclist.
You dont need to project your insecurities and shortcomings on others.
Nobody of consequence will think someone is not a serious cyclist just because they have rim brakes. Nobody of consequence will look down upon another person just because they have rim brakes.
Old 01-06-23, 10:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by 1989Pre
Not just heavier. All of the stuff is on one side, so imbalanced.

Like how rim brake bikes have the chainrings, chain, cassette, and derailleurs all on the right side?
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-06-23, 10:46 AM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4791 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I'll probably never have a disc brake bike. One more thing to learn. A whole new set of standards to introduce to my stable. Wheels (even fronts) that aren't interchangeable. And all my bikes have excellent brakes that fit their usage very well. (Mafac front, Weinmann rear for my two winter/rain/city bikes, cantis depowered with V-brake levers for the Mooney, dual pivots depowered with V-brake levers for my tow good road bikes and super short Cyclone sidepulls with regular levers on my Pro Miyata that will not go out when it's wet.)

All six bikes are stoppers with power fitting for their use. All six have brakes that require little attention. All six have brakes that can sit there for a years or years and be ready for the next ride with me doing nothing. Pad wear is easy to see and easy to deal with. (Pretty sure KoolsStop is going to be around a while.) An occasional cable replacement is easy. (Well starting those cables at the aero lever wasn't so easy until I learned that hanging the bike with the levers at eye level and using a headlamp made it child's play.)

Oh, and caliper brakes are cheap to own. Many good ones cheap to buy. My two best bikes have Shimano dual pivots I picked up used at bike shops for not a lot of money and they are world class stoppers. Mafac Racers are becoming popular but I bet in smaller US cities you can still find them for $50 at garage sales with the usual UO-8 attached. The consumables (pads, cables and housings) are cheap.

I also like that there is little that is delicate about the rim brake systems. If you snag a cable or housing on something, usually everything works once you untangle it and it it doesn't the issue is usually very obvious. They can be fixed with a couple of Allen wrenches and perhaps a small crescent. Anywhere. The levers usually work even after being trashed in hard crashes. (Now, stuffing an intricate shifting device into those crash vulnerable levers is something I just don't get.)

Happy retro here. Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 01-06-23, 11:00 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
You dont need to project your insecurities and shortcomings on others.
Insecurities ???...Do you really believe that I worry about what others think of my bikes ?
Old 01-06-23, 11:10 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Wait are people actually getting rid of bikes because of their braking system? Look until Cane Creek stops making the eeBrakes or Paul stops making the MotoLites or their two canti brakes or the Racer brakes and also Kool Stop and SwissStop would have to stop making pads, rim brakes aren't dead or close to it. Yes sadly plenty of rim brake bikes in some manufacturers catalogs are relegated to the bottom end but there are plenty of rim brake bikes no in that position and plenty of custom builders as well who can build you whatever you want with whatever brakes you want.

All brakes to a point have some advantages and disadvantages just like everything else in cycling. You have to choose for yourself what you want and ride it and enjoy it. If you want to toss bikes away, send them my way I can help out and if you want to keep riding them go for it they are bikes nothing has changed the bikes haven't been suddenly downgraded in anyway unless you have done that yourself. The bike you had is still the same bike with the same braking you had and if you thought the braking was fine it isn't going to change like that because another brake exists.
Old 01-06-23, 11:13 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1246 Post(s)
Liked 1,321 Times in 673 Posts
Talk about preaching to the choir. These old school forums are mostly populated by people in their 60’s and older and in no way representative of what is happening in the current cycling community. The most popular sub forum is C & V by a long shot, when in the general cycling world people are indifferent and see these old bikes for what they are, interesting vestiges of a time gone by. People love disc brakes because the work fantastic and are a definite improvement over the rim brakes of the past.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 01-06-23, 11:15 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
rim brakes aren't dead or close to it.
I hope you're right....maybe I'll just go and purchase another rim brakes bike and not worry about parts shortage in the near future.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-06-23, 11:18 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3497 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,766 Posts
Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, they provide little modulation, and are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition. I can stop my bike using single fingers on the levers, so I have plenty of stopping power available. Do disk brakes stop good in wet conditions? Sure. But I don't ride in wet conditions. I have a road racing bike--so for me, what other benefit to them is there?

We'll see what happens to them when everything old becomes new again. Vinyl records, anyone?
Likes For smd4:
Old 01-06-23, 11:21 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I love my rim-brake bikes and never plan to part with them. But, as with non-tubeless wheels, I also never plan buy another bike that has them.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-06-23, 11:29 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I hope you're right....maybe I'll just go and purchase another rim brakes bike and not worry about parts shortage in the near future.
Currently there are 88 options for road caliper brakes, 47 linear pull brakes and 13 cantilever brakes plus 196 options for all the rim brake pads on QBP one of the largest U.S. bike parts distributors. I think things are going to be OK. Yes cantilevers are less common but everything else is pretty easy to find and abundant and I don't think that is going to change right away.

Maybe in 10-15 years it will shift a little but not significantly enough where stuff is unavailable. I can get all manner of less common parts these days still from threaded headsets to freewheels to 26" mountain bike forks (of quality I should say). Sure there is some obscure stuff that is tough to get but if it was commonly available and decently widely used it is still a thing it takes a good amount of time for that stuff to completely die off.

Get whatever bike makes you happy rim or disc or both or none or whatever.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-06-23, 11:30 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
I was thinkimg of getting anothet rim brakes bike but I worry that rim brakes will become obsolete and there will be no parts for them. Majority of new bikes sold have discs.
The supply of parts will not suddenly cease to exist.
Old 01-06-23, 11:30 AM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Sorry, just got here.

Likes For phughes:
Old 01-06-23, 11:33 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I have rim brake bikes and disc brake bikes. For bikes that I ride in the dirt, on steep terrain, I prefer disc brakes. On the road, I'm fine with rim brakes. If I buy a new(er) road bike sometime in the future, it will probably have disc brakes simply because that's what top-end bikes are currently equipped with. However, I'm not in any hurry to replace my current #1 road bike.
Old 01-06-23, 11:38 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
When I started looking for a new bike to buy back at the end of 2019, I was of the mentality that I didn't want disc brakes on my road bike. Not really for any other valid reason than rim brakes were good enough for the previous 50 or so years of riding then why change. However I realized that that severely limited my choices of new bike along with the fact that choices in rim brake wheels are getting ever so slightly limited.

So when I eliminated that silly requirement I had, then I quickly found a bike I liked. And I can honestly say it's the most fun bike I've ever owned. Since purchasing it, I've since gotten rid of my other bikes though they were enjoyable rides, I just never rode them much after getting the new bike.

Do disc brakes make it more enjoyable. No, but certainly not less enjoyable. You'll have more options today for a new bike if you allow disc brake equipped bikes to be a choice.

Last edited by Iride01; 01-06-23 at 11:42 AM.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 01-06-23, 11:39 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, they provide little modulation, and are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition. I can stop my bike using single fingers on the levers, so I have plenty of stopping power available. Do disk brakes stop good in wet conditions? Sure. But I don't ride in wet conditions. I have a road racing bike--so for me, what other benefit to them is there?

We'll see what happens to them when everything old becomes new again. Vinyl records, anyone?
If your disc brakes are "on/off" only, there's something wrong with how they are set up. That said, you're not wrong about the rest of it.
Old 01-06-23, 12:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
......because cycling has become a fashion industry. If you don't follow the latest trends you will be looked down upon and not considered a serious cyclist.
What complete and utter drivel.

I've participated in more races than I can count, charity and other organized rides, group rides, etc...In at least a half dozen different states. I've seen riders on all sorts of bikes, wearing all sorts of clothes. And I've never seen nor heard anyone disparage another rider for their gear. Never.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-06-23, 12:03 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Disk brakes are ugly, inelegant, heavy, and by many accounts a PITA to deal with, in terms of maintenance, installation, etc. In my admittedly limited experience, they provide little modulation, and are basically an "ON/OFF" proposition.
I highlighted the key portion of your statement.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-06-23, 12:11 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Can you offer an example of when that happened to you in the real world?

Right: Serious cyclist
Left: Un-serious cyclist

Last edited by Eric F; 01-06-23 at 12:14 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 01-06-23, 12:12 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 7,286 Times in 2,942 Posts
I thought the recently implemented buy-back program meant you were not allowed to keep your rim brake frames, except for legitimate historical uses.
Old 01-06-23, 12:13 PM
drz400

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
From the op

I have two rim brake bikes cyclocross and road. Both fit well and are a joy to ride. Upgrading the cyclocross from 2x9 to 2x11 with an 11-34 cassette. Depending on the smooth shifting I've read about ,I may upgrade my roadie too. I just can't fathom upgrading to a new frame yet, still putting on miles and I guess that's the point
Old 01-06-23, 12:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Koyote
What complete and utter drivel.

I've participated in more races than I can count, charity and other organized rides, group rides, etc...In at least a half dozen different states. I've seen riders on all sorts of bikes, wearing all sorts of clothes. And I've never seen nor heard anyone disparage another rider for their gear. Never.
Clearly you missed this disaster kit:

Or these:

To those curious yes I am joking wear whatever the heck you want but some of this stuff gets kind of goofy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.