Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Diamondback Insight & Clarity

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 07-07-10, 02:01 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I wanted an around-town beater bike and ended up buying a leftover 2009 Diamondback Insight 1 at my local Performance bike shop for $250 a few months ago. I outfitted it with full fenders, bell, bottle cages, and a computer. I initially put on a rear rack which I ended up taking off due to garage door vs. roof rack vs. clearance problems.

The gf liked tooling around on it so much we ended up getting her one (the girls version is nearly identical except for different seat and cutesy graphics) at a local Sports Authority for $300 last night.

We looked at several brands at local LBS', REI, etc. Low-end hybrid type bikes all seemed to be made in China and have the same drivetrain and # gears. Going up a notch and paying $50 more usually gave you 1 more gear, better shifters, maybe a better rear deraileur and maybe rims that sucked a little less. This includes Giant, Specialized, Trek, etc..

I'd recommend Diamondback to others that are looking for a cheap hybrid bike. Unlike our road bikes I don't care about getting the hybrid dirty, scratching it up, laying it on the ground, riding it in the rain, wearing "riding clothes" to ride it, it getting stolen, etc. We just get on 'em and ride. Very liberating.
Old 07-08-10, 01:51 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
I looked at the Daimondbacks..

I looked at them at Dicks sporting goods before choosing the Schwinn, nice bikes for the price.
Almost bought one, glad to see that someone else realizes that you do not have to spend a fortune on a new bike. Mine has around 1000 miles on it now, and looks and rides like the day
I bought it, with only a few cable adjustments. It was selling for 239.00 dollars, but we got
10 percent off due to my wifes Target card, and me pointing out a few (minor adjustments that were off) , so another 10 percent if I would due them myself. The bike even fits me better
than the much pricer Motobecane I was riding, and with the narrow tires seems much faster.
It weighs in at 31 pounds, without the extras added....Enjoy your new bikes..
Old 07-08-10, 02:47 PM
xoxoxoxoLive

Bikes: 2013 TREK 7.6 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xoxoxoxoLive
I looked at them at Dicks sporting goods before choosing the Schwinn, nice bikes for the price.
Almost bought one, glad to see that someone else realizes that you do not have to spend a fortune on a new bike. Mine has around 1000 miles on it now, and looks and rides like the day
I bought it, with only a few cable adjustments. It was selling for 239.00 dollars, but we got
10 percent off due to my wifes Target card, and me pointing out a few (minor adjustments that were off) , so another 10 percent if I would due them myself. The bike even fits me better
than the much pricer Motobecane I was riding, and with the narrow tires seems much faster.
It weighs in at 31 pounds, without the extras added....Enjoy your new bikes..
I just started thinking of all the accessories added and the cost, Topeak Rack 29.00 dollars, MtX trunk bag at
REI 80.00 dollas (installed for free), Bell Wireless Speedometer 20.00 ( has been working perfectly ), Bell
Torch Headlamp 20.00 dollars (Walmart), Schwinn Helmet 30.00 dollars Walmart, love the flashing light on the back, Planet Bike Micro pump, 18.00 dollars REI, spare tubes (2) 13.00 dollars REI, Presta to Shrader adapter and Presta extender 6.00 REI, patch kit REI ( do not remember price ), Schwinn water bottle and cage 10.00
dollars Walmart, another water bottle from Dicks Sporting Goods 8.00 dollars, That does not include the tools in the kit or frame bag, already had....Grand Total 239.00 Dollars, .. WOW .. Just some food for thought !