Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

trek 1.1 c 2014 good for newbie?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 12-18-13, 11:33 PM
Milez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike..._1_h2_compact/

it has a carbon fork and only $700 new at bicycle village. Good for beginner roadie? I have a trek 3500 MTB but am more interested in road cycling. So what do you guys think?
Old 12-18-13, 11:43 PM
mLuMaN83
Enjoying Every Mile

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats a good bike. I'm no expert, but I hear the Specialized Allez is comparatively better. I personally started cycling 3 months ago and rode that bike, and the Allez. I liked the way the Allez felt and went with that. Plus I got the Allez Sport 2013 which is an upgrade for under $700 due to it being "last year model".

Just my experience. Go Ride a few different brands in the price range and decide. Go ride, and get fitted. Very important for road cuz you are settled into a certain riding position for miles and miles and miles and miles.
Old 12-19-13, 02:23 AM
NoviceJohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I started cycling about two months ago and I bought the 2014 Allez (base) just to see if I get more interested into the sport. The bike is nothing to show off but I bought it to exercise and take advantage of the trails and warmer weather in Florida. Some people on this forum may say components on the 1.1 are garbage, etc, etc. Well, to a person who haven't ridden a road bike before (like yourself), riding with those components may not matter or make a big difference to you compared to the Tiagra or 105 components. Like the post above said, ride a few brands and see which one rides better. Once you've decided, get, at least, a basic fit (which usually comes with buying a new bike at your LBS). Get the higher end fittings if you have money to burn or if you're intended to compete. Otherwise, the basic fit is all you need for recreational use. I got only the basic fit and so far, I have no complaints and do not intend to invest in a higher end fitting.
Old 12-19-13, 12:54 PM
floridamtb

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6, Trek Madone 4.5, Trek X-Caliber

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Milez
https://www.trekbikes.com/int/en/bike..._1_h2_compact/

it has a carbon fork and only $700 new at bicycle village. Good for beginner roadie? I have a trek 3500 MTB but am more interested in road cycling. So what do you guys think?
When I moved to flat South Florida from Northern California and made the leap from mountain to road I looked at the Trek Madone 2 series and the Specialized Allez. Both were good rides, the Allez maybe felt a bit better but that could have been the road I tested on and other factors. Honestly for me if it had been a tie the Trek would have won based solely on the bike shop and the feel I got from the people there. In the end I waited and then bought a Madone 4.5 carbon bike on sale during the TDF, I got a $2500 bike for $2000, it was well worth it. The problem with buying a $700 bike is then if you really love the sport you're stuck with a $700 bike unless you want to go spend even more. I've always bought my bikes as closeouts or some big event sale like Trek's annual TDF sale.
Old 12-19-13, 06:53 PM
Bontrager

Bikes: Road, MTB, Folding, Commuting bikes...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stop spamming the forums with the same question :/