Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Velobase.com - moving severs, so might be a bump or two in the next few days

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-24-20, 04:31 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

Spending the evening moving the site over to a new hosting account, so while the DNS resolves and database gets moved over, I've disabled the add/edit of most things and posted an announcement up top on the site with the status of things. Hopefully things will be sorted out fully in the next 24-48hrs.
Old 11-24-20, 04:51 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
@cuda2k - I know this is a challenge as I have been subjected to multiple database moves in my career. I was not able to move past the first page of, say a crankset query. I use edge so I don't know if it is a browser or other issue.

Great site BTW, use it frequently.
Old 11-24-20, 05:50 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2288 Post(s)
Liked 2,033 Times in 1,246 Posts
Love the site and I'm glad you're moving it. My Chrome/Firefox/Epic browsers have a hard time accessing it, often.
Old 11-24-20, 05:59 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Originally Posted by SJX426
@cuda2k - I know this is a challenge as I have been subjected to multiple database moves in my career. I was not able to move past the first page of, say a crankset query. I use edge so I don't know if it is a browser or other issue.

Great site BTW, use it frequently.
That issue should have been fixed a day or two ago. Not sure when it was introduced, but I had several people report it over the last month. Finally got to sit down and track it down over the last weekend. Turns out it was only happening when there wasn't a logged-in user, which was one of the reasons I hadn't found it sooner. If you have encountered this problem in the last day, or hit it again, please let me know. Thanks!

Jon
Old 11-24-20, 06:01 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by clubman
Love the site and I'm glad you're moving it. My Chrome/Firefox/Epic browsers have a hard time accessing it, often.
The design of the site is realllly old at this point, much of the front end code dates back to 2007 when I originally wrote it. I have updated the photo upload tool and a few other things have been improved as of late, but the whole front end really needs a full make over. If you have specific issues with those browsers (other than the list paging issue noted below), let me know and I can see if there's a quick fix. That is in the long term plans, but my time lately has been limited as other priorities have taken a large part of my off-work hours - including trying to get my out of shape rear end back on the bike some.

Jon
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 11-24-20, 06:03 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

It appears the cut-over has already happened, if you go by the site, you should see an announcement saying "If you're reading this, then we've successfully cut over to the new server. In the coming days we'll be adding SSL/HTTPS at long last (only like a decade over due) to continue to cut down on spam bots and other issues. Posted: 11/24/20 03:25 PM CST".
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 11-24-20, 08:31 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1504 Post(s)
Liked 3,444 Times in 1,127 Posts
A thousand thanks for this valuable resource you have given us!
Brent
Likes For obrentharris:
Old 11-24-20, 11:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,867 Times in 2,580 Posts
I will call that thousand thanks and raise it two thousand. That is an awesome website! I recommend people to it all the time : )
Old 11-25-20, 06:18 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
AHHHHH Great!
Old 11-25-20, 12:07 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 213 Posts
The SSL addition is great! Fewer hickups when trying to force a secured connection.

Thanks again for the site, use it weekly.
Old 11-27-20, 04:22 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

SSL is now live. I'm working on continuing to increase security after the spam bots kinda took over the forum while I wasn't paying enough attention, so you'll likely notice a new log-in page update in the coming days. I may bring the forum back (BF's C&V will always be far more active for sure), we'll see, for now just trying to get the core functionality a bit updated and dusted off a little. For those who have donated recently and in the past, it's always appreciated and does go straight back into the hosting costs.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 11-27-20, 04:35 PM
JJScaliger

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 58 Posts
You're the best! Thank you for this valuable resource!
Likes For JJScaliger:
Old 12-07-20, 07:02 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Might as well bump this once more - just pushed a bit of an update to the 'MasterPage' (ie the header / menu section). A revised menu and 'account' menu setup - as well as an integrated search bar in the header. Unfortunately at the moment the header search only works for components, however I've officially launched work on 'VeloBase 3.0' - a near complete rewrite of the framework all the way up to the front end UI.

Primary focus for the 3.0 version will be improved mobile support, improved search, and a much updated and improved user interface overall. Way too early to give an eta, kinda depends on if I do a partial launch of some areas of the system while leaving others as-is for the moment, or if I try to rebuild the whole thing before launch. There *will* be preview opportunities as time goes on and I get closer to release.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 12-11-20, 04:50 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Site was running fine the last I check on it.... but something's happened. I'm looking into it.
Old 12-11-20, 04:54 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​

NOT AMUSED AT MY WEB HOST

​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
Old 12-11-20, 05:40 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
​​​​​​​

NOT AMUSED AT MY WEB HOST

​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​ ​​​​​​​
Do tell.

​​​​​​​-Kurt

Old 12-11-20, 06:04 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

some sort of migration happened last night of my old hosting account, which seems to have killed the new one I'd move everything to. At worst, I hope, we'll have to basically roll back to what was on the site on Nov. 20th... and then I go figure out how much it'll cost me to move to a different company.
Old 12-11-20, 06:11 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26251 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 12-11-20, 06:25 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Might as well bump this once more - just pushed a bit of an update to the 'MasterPage' (ie the header / menu section). A revised menu and 'account' menu setup - as well as an integrated search bar in the header. Unfortunately at the moment the header search only works for components, however I've officially launched work on 'VeloBase 3.0' - a near complete rewrite of the framework all the way up to the front end UI.

Primary focus for the 3.0 version will be improved mobile support, improved search, and a much updated and improved user interface overall. Way too early to give an eta, kinda depends on if I do a partial launch of some areas of the system while leaving others as-is for the moment, or if I try to rebuild the whole thing before launch. There *will* be preview opportunities as time goes on and I get closer to release.
Are you also planning to port it to some sort of web app hosting platform like Azure or are you wanting to continue managing the infrastructure yourself? I'm knee deep in this stuff at work so just curious.
Old 12-11-20, 07:30 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Originally Posted by tricky
Are you also planning to port it to some sort of web app hosting platform like Azure or are you wanting to continue managing the infrastructure yourself? I'm knee deep in this stuff at work so just curious.
Right now I'm on a shared web-hosting account (GoDaddy Deluxe Windows hosting, same as the site has been on since 2007), I've been considering Azure or AWS options, however due to the current architecture needing both a MSSQL and MySql Database (due to the database size limit that GoDaddy imposes of 100MB and some of the logging, search, etc tables were starting to eat up a fair bit of space) my options for an immediate change without at least a couple days of coding effort are few. As I noted in one of the VeloBase threads, might have been this one, I am starting work on a new version of the site, but that's still months away, especially if I wanted to free myself of that dual-database need all at once. The Shared Hosting has been sufficient for the site for a long time, and along with the three domain names that I own connected to the site (.com, .info and .net), operating costs were low enough it wasn't any sort of burden to keep going even if I had stopped pursuing ad revenue in recent years. The generosity of the C&V community ensured that a few donations came in throughout the year that covered at least a fair portion of the costs.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 12-11-20, 08:08 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

I've been on Namecheap Shared for a while. Meh speed, have had some issues with dodgy connections on and off. Not sure if they have MSSQL support.

-Kurt

Old 12-13-20, 01:21 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

For anyone following this thread but not the other, site DNS is starting to resolve to the new working server. If you are still having difficulty connecting, try a different browser for the moment, or flush your local DNS cache.
Likes For cuda2k:
Old 12-14-20, 10:26 AM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
For anyone following this thread but not the other, site DNS is starting to resolve to the new working server. If you are still having difficulty connecting, try a different browser for the moment, or flush your local DNS cache.
Looking good! It's super snappy for me
Old 12-14-20, 12:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by tricky
Looking good! It's super snappy for me
Ditto. Never seen VB resolve and load faster.

I did notice a text wrap issue under 1920x1080, but I take it this is a simple CSS bug rather than a database issue.

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 12-14-20, 10:14 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

cudak888 - that's probably the newer home page doing that, should have done some more testing with smaller resolution screens.

Which brings up a good question as I've been working on the groundwork for the new version - what type devices / what resolution are we viewing the site at most often? Mobile? small laptop screens, 4k, etc. Any input appreciated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.