Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show your Araya (Bicycle)

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-21, 10:45 PM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Bikes: Mostly japanese ones

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 259 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 134 Posts

Not the rims.
I just got one today, haven't cleaned it but I took pictures.
And there doesn't seem to be a thread for it, though there are two threads that have some pictures
From 2009 https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...raya-bike.html
and 2006 https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ya-frames.html

What I have isn't fancy, but I think it's decent quality. I saw one other example on our local cl some months ago, and there was another that was different model about a month or two ago. Other than that, I haven't seen too many advertised.

I'm guessing the model name for mine is T250, which makes me think it was touring orientated. However, the chainstays are only about 430mm. And there is only 1 set of bottle bosses. OTOH, there are double eyelets front and back, no mid fork eyelets. Tubing is Tange 900. Frame manufactured 1984, according to the serial. Components are so so. The rims are predictably Araya.

I will probably swap out the stem for something taller if I can find one, and I like wider flat pedals. If I want to use 700c, I will need to get longer reach brakes. But I'm fine with 27" if there's new tires in stock at one of the LBS. I'm hopeful this will be one of my favorite bikes when I can get it to fit the way I want.

Anybody else have any Arayas kicking around? There's got to be one or two?

And the pics.

Old 06-30-21, 11:11 PM
malcala622

Bikes: 1983 Basso Gap...2013 Colnago CX-1...2015 Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1199 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 716 Posts
Not mine anymore but just to show another Araya here's one I sold 2 years ago

Old 07-01-21, 04:49 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
....I'm guessing the model name for mine is T250, which makes me think it was touring orientated. However, the chainstays are only about 430mm. And there is only 1 set of bottle bosses. OTOH, there are double eyelets front and back, no mid fork eyelets. Tubing is Tange 900. Frame manufactured 1984, according to the serial. Components are so so. The rims are predictably Araya....
This is fairly typical of the entry level "touring" bicycles of the era. To hit the target price point they often had to forego the major grand touring features like triple chainrings, cantilever brakes and, bar end shift levers, but also often had to cut back on smaller features such as multiple bottle bosses, other brazed-on amenities and 40H rear wheels. The components were generally upper entry level. Other entry level, Japanese "touring" bicycles bicycles of the era, such as the Miyata 210, used a similar approach. Some members prefer the term "light touring".
Old 07-01-21, 08:05 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by T-Mar
This is fairly typical of the entry level "touring" bicycles of the era. To hit the target price point they often had to forego the major grand touring features like triple chainrings, cantilever brakes and, bar end shift levers, but also often had to cut back on smaller features such as multiple bottle bosses, other brazed-on amenities and 40H rear wheels. The components were generally upper entry level. Other entry level, Japanese "touring" bicycles bicycles of the era, such as the Miyata 210, used a similar approach. Some members prefer the term "light touring".
That makes sense. I won't be touring but this should work for the riding I like. Mainly just around town but I do harbor ambitions of doing longer rides at some point. Sadly my family doesn't like riding bikes so day rides is about the longest I can realistically hope to do.
Old 07-01-21, 08:48 AM
ScottRyder 
Photographer

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 53 Posts
I was lucky enough to photograph this 1983 Araya "Aero" for the the "Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan" project. Because it's chrome I'm pretty sure it was one of the most difficult bicycles to photograph.

Cheers,

Scott

IG @scottryder.surf.cycle
IG @scottryder.fine.art

Likes For ScottRyder:
Old 07-01-21, 08:53 AM
rgvg
Car free since 2018

Originally Posted by ScottRyder
I was lucky enough to photograph this 1983 Araya "Aero" for the the "Japanese Steel: Classic Bicycle Design from Japan" project. Because it's chrome I'm pretty sure it was one of the most difficult bicycles to photograph.

Cheers,

Scott
Your book's section on Araya bikes was the main reason I knew it wouldn't be a mistake to go after my bike, even if it wasn't a high end bike. I'm hopeful it will turn out to be one of my favorites.
Old 07-01-21, 09:22 AM
Stevensb 

Bikes: Condor, Cinelli SC, MKM Metcalfe, Peugeot AE08, Bianchi, Cougar, Miyata, Harry Hall, Holdsworth Special, Raleigh Int'l, Le Croco, Bob Jackson, Zeus

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 53 Posts
Araya Road 823

Here’s another thread with a couple Araya road bikes including my 823. I keep it as my “0” bike at my BIL’s house for visits but I haven’t seen it for the last 2 years.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...d-bicycle.html

Cheers.

Brad
Old 07-03-21, 02:43 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 609 Posts
Not Araya badged but it's totally an Araya, 1984 Focus SG-300.