Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

New Japan tour video for those interested

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-07-21, 07:54 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

Likes For waddo:
Old 07-08-21, 06:21 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
As usual, I enjoyed that very much. Thanks. A lovely place so I'm sorry to hear that Japan's numbers are going in the wrong direction. Good luck and peace.
Old 07-08-21, 09:57 PM
waddo

Glad you enjoyed it and same to you.
Old 07-09-21, 08:16 PM
metalrideroz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
In a sea of terrible drone footage, needless slow motion and framing that poisons my eyes, your composition of shots is striking. It makes these videos really easy to watch and the recurring themes (yuki bell ringing, crow noises etc.) tie together with your other videos to create an excellent document, however illusory, of bicycle touring in japan. Keep up the good work. Maybe i'll make it over there before the world eats itself.
Likes For metalrideroz:
Old 07-10-21, 03:38 AM
waddo

Glad you find them easy to watch. The fact is all those trends you catalgued have come about because Youtube offers a platform for people who want to make videos but have no background in the field and don't do even basic self study. So they think slow-motion is cool without ever thinking of the purpose of slow-motion. And drones were very interesting at the beginning until every video has drones mainly because they are so cool. Etc etc. All this to say youtube is supremely amateur and--with the YouTuber mostly pointing the camera at him/herself--also very narcissistic. Most people seem to love that so good for them.

I started trying to make videos before youtube existed. They were pretty bad, but I read-up on videographer and editing principles. Recently they have reached a level I can live with. But to say they are easy to watch says something about you the viewer rather than me the maker. With no talking head creating "human interest" and videos lasting up to two hours with only minimal narration, not to mention music that some people will just hate, I think these days this would qualify as hard to watch. Don't forget we are also in the world of twitter and instagram.

Now I'm sure you regret posting your comment as brevity is nowhere to be found in my toolbox!
Old 07-10-21, 04:51 PM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
Best-O videography and editing !

"Yes , there will be rain . "
Why no mudguards ?
Old 07-10-21, 08:53 PM
waddo

Glad you could appreciate the vid.

No mudguards because I would have to buy them and pay someone to install them as I have two left hands and HATE manual labour; also sometimes they may need adjusting which is just another thing that can go wrong and I can live without. We wear rain suits when it rains, so dirty water is less trouble than all the above.
Old 07-14-21, 09:53 PM
metalrideroz

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Just as an aside, in my .txt file of japan spots that I have yet to link together into a route, I have several of those long slides saved.
One in Kyoto,
google maps photo, and street view.
One in Hyogo, google maps photo.

Last edited by metalrideroz; 07-15-21 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-20-21, 07:44 AM
waddo

Originally Posted by metalrideroz
Just as an aside, in my .txt file of japan spots that I have yet to link together into a route, I have several of those long slides saved.
One in Kyoto,
google maps photo, and street view.
One in Hyogo, google maps photo.
I looked at those photos and it seems like any place plagued with steep slopes though still wanting to attract tourists does the only thing they can, make a terraced park and stick a crazy slide in it. Made me wonder if I have seen them before without noticing. It was only because we camped their that Yuki gave it a go.
Old 07-21-21, 07:50 AM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Looking forward to another Japan touring vid.

Wondering when I will go back for more touring. Circled Kyushu by myself back in 2019 and it was the most amazing tour.
Old 07-21-21, 10:39 PM
waddo

Who knows when things will open up again. Japan being very insular, foreigners these days are definitely not welcome including olympic athletes. So it could be quite some time before welcomed international travel gets back to normal.