Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Electra Townie rear drop out measurement

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-20, 08:22 AM
CNRed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Is the distance between the rear wheel drop out journals of Electra Townies the samer or diffrent depending on what hub it came with?
Is the inside measurment between the rear journals the same on all Townies or is there a diffrence between the rear wheel journals of bikes with 7 speed cassettes as opposed to those equipted with a single speed rear axle, a 3 or 7 or 8 speed internal rear hub?
I have an older 7D Electra Townie I would like to convert to an 8 speed internal Hub.
I don't have one of each to compare, I'm hopeing someone ight know these measurements.

Last edited by CNRed; 10-09-20 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 09:23 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1791 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Measure!
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 10-09-20, 09:36 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
+1
It is not difficult to take a measurement
Old 10-09-20, 09:41 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts

"One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions" RADM Grace Hopper

Old 10-09-20, 10:01 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I'd be shocked if it was anything other than 135x10. maybe 130x10.
Old 10-09-20, 11:49 AM
CNRed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I understand the concept of taking a measurement.
I don't have both bikes available to take the measurements from, and compare them to one and other.
My question is: Are all electra Townie frames congruent with respect to the rear drop out journals, or Is a 7D frame the same as or narrower then an 8 internal hub frame.
Old 11-10-21, 09:08 PM
magicpie55

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I have the 7d townie step thru .. 2 years old ..it is a 130mm dropout with a 10mm axle ...
Old 11-10-21, 09:41 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
I will say that most all "modern" Townies are based on the 135mm x 10mm rear. Now actual measurements might drift from this due to tolerances and real life. Also there's no reason why one year's bike will be the same as the next production version, especially given today's manufacture's challenges... This is why one measurement is worth so much. Andy
Old 11-11-21, 03:54 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Hello ..I had mine apart a couple of weeks ago to replace the chain and freewheel ..Noticed the bearings were rough and replaced them and the pitted cones at the same time .. I measured the dropout with a digital caliper as I'm thinking of upgrading this wheel/hub ..I am disabled and can't walk/stand for long ... I can however ride this bike for hours .. I have put a 1000 watt front hub motor on to help in the wind/hills and traffic .. Put on heavier and bigger ebike rated tires and now feel this stock rear rim/hub is the weak point .. any suggestions on an upgrade ? seems to be really hard to find a wheel with all the specs I need/want ... One builder emailed me he can build a wheel but wants to change the hub to a cassette ...I ride average of 9 mph ..use the motor on cruise control set to 7-8mph and I petal up to 9-10 mph .. just cruise usually for 1 hour at a time .. I have lost 50 pounds this year and seem slightly more healthy partly thanks to this bike .. Thanks for reading this long post ...don
Old 11-11-21, 04:08 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
The townie I have has a Quick release 10 mm axle .. Would it hurt anything to put a solid axle with nuts on it instead ??.. Get the hollow axle out of there ??? Thanks don
Old 11-17-21, 08:24 AM
CNRed

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by magicpie55
Hello ..I had mine apart a couple of weeks ago to replace the chain and freewheel ..Noticed the bearings were rough and replaced them and the pitted cones at the same time .. I measured the dropout with a digital caliper as I'm thinking of upgrading this wheel/hub ..I am disabled and can't walk/stand for long ... I can however ride this bike for hours .. I have put a 1000 watt front hub motor on to help in the wind/hills and traffic .. Put on heavier and bigger ebike rated tires and now feel this stock rear rim/hub is the weak point .. any suggestions on an upgrade ? seems to be really hard to find a wheel with all the specs I need/want ... One builder emailed me he can build a wheel but wants to change the hub to a cassette ...I ride average of 9 mph ..use the motor on cruise control set to 7-8mph and I petal up to 9-10 mph .. just cruise usually for 1 hour at a time .. I have lost 50 pounds this year and seem slightly more healthy partly thanks to this bike .. Thanks for reading this long post ...don
Don,
Unfortunately I know very little about electric bikes.
It's fantastic that you are using the bike and that your health is responding postivitly because of it.
As for the rear axle, I cant see an issue with replacing the hollow rear axle with a solid one. I'm sure someone with more experience then me will chime in with better information.
Do you do your own wrenching?
Old 11-17-21, 08:36 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by CNRed
, I cant see an issue with replacing the hollow rear axle with a solid one.
Axles can have different threads, so you can’t buy one at random and expect it to work out.
My preferred method is to bring the current axle to act as a reference when buying a new one.
Apart from that - and assuming you know how to do bearing adjustments, go right ahead.
Keep in mind that apart from a mild theft deterrent, an axle swap may not do much for you.

Last edited by dabac; 11-17-21 at 08:40 AM.
Likes For dabac:
Old 11-17-21, 09:18 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
The townie I have has a Quick release 10 mm axle .. Would it hurt anything to put a solid axle with nuts on it instead ??.. Get the hollow axle out of there ??? Thanks don
What would be the point of changing the axle? Hollow axles with good quality quick releases used properly are at least as strong as solid axles. My own experience with one bike that had solid axles which broke on a regular basis(once or twice each year) was that changing to a quick release axle pretty much solved that problem, I only broke the axle once in the next 5 years
If you really want a stronger rear axle, changing to a cassette type hub is the best solution

Last edited by alcjphil; 11-17-21 at 09:22 AM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-17-21, 10:59 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CNRed
Don,
Unfortunately I know very little about electric bikes.
It's fantastic that you are using the bike and that your health is responding postivitly because of it.
As for the rear axle, I cant see an issue with replacing the hollow rear axle with a solid one. I'm sure someone with more experience then me will chime in with better information.
Do you do your own wrenching?
Hello , Thanks for your reply .. Yes .. I have gotten a lot of help here .. was an auto/truck mechanic in the 70's and 80's .. I work on the bike ..STILL learning and messing up sometimes .. I can share what I have learned and am thankful for all the real pro's help ..
Old 11-17-21, 11:05 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
Axles can have different threads, so you can’t buy one at random and expect it to work out.
My preferred method is to bring the current axle to act as a reference when buying a new one.
Apart from that - and assuming you know how to do bearing adjustments, go right ahead.
Keep in mind that apart from a mild theft deterrent, an axle swap may not do much for you.
Hello .. Thanks for your reply .. I just had this hub apart replaced the cones and balls and measured everything while it was apart ..I have received the new solid axle ..it's the right one ..Just wondering if it will really help anything? The hollow axle seems like a weak link however it has been fine for 2 years of daily rides .. The new $7 dollar one ..who knows what it's made of .. Ha ..I just gotta mess with everything ..
Old 11-17-21, 11:11 AM
magicpie55

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
What would be the point of changing the axle? Hollow axles with good quality quick releases used properly are at least as strong as solid axles. My own experience with one bike that had solid axles which broke on a regular basis(once or twice each year) was that changing to a quick release axle pretty much solved that problem, I only broke the axle once in the next 5 years
If you really want a stronger rear axle, changing to a cassette type hub is the best solution
Thanks for the Reply .. You really have the idea I really want .. sealed bearing hub .. with freehub and 36 spokes 4 more than I have now ..And A wider rim ..mine is 19mm wide and the ebike wider tire is a tight fit .. I'm using 7 speed shimano shifter to match the freewheel I have now ..
Any ideas on what components would work and/or where to find them .. I have been looking without much success .. Thanks for the Help ..
Old 11-17-21, 11:24 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Hello .. Thanks for your reply .. I just had this hub apart replaced the cones and balls and measured everything while it was apart ..I have received the new solid axle ..it's the right one ..Just wondering if it will really help anything? The hollow axle seems like a weak link however it has been fine for 2 years of daily rides .. The new $7 dollar one ..who knows what it's made of .. Ha ..I just gotta mess with everything ..
You need to realize how bending works. When you bend a thing, the outside of the curve stretches and the inside of the curve compresses. In the middle, nothing much happens.
So for the same quality of steel, a solid axle isn’t much stronger than a hollow axle.
One can even argue the case that hollow axles are safer. If a hollow axle would break, there is still the skewer holding the pieces together and preventing an Immediate disaster.
Likes For dabac: