Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Etiquette of Drafting

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Etiquette of Drafting

Old 12-06-21, 09:36 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
damn dude I know im struggling with my weight no bullying the guy with a broken neck

Wear a friggin' shirt, then. Nobody asked you to post that really gross butt picture.

I'd feel a lot worse about your neck if you didn't tell us about all the stupid dangerous crap you do.
Old 12-06-21, 09:49 PM
SapInMyBlood
Enthusiastic Sufferer

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Roubaix, 2014 Salsa Fargo, 2013 Trek Remedy, 2014 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
They sound like complete a-holes.
When it comes from Larry, take it with a grain of salt 👌
Likes For SapInMyBlood:
Old 12-06-21, 09:59 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
damn dude I know im struggling with my weight no bullying the guy with a broken neck
Quit your whining.

I don't care if you broke your neck, broke your back, or broke wind so hard it hurt. Nobody id "bullying" you at all and no one is thinking you are anything but "not a winner" for crying about being bullied. There is real bullying out there ..... and real victims. You are lame .... and not because of past injuries.

Also, if you post a pic of yourself you are inviting comments. Toughen up, snowflake. You literally asked for it.

By the way ... by your description, the guys you ride with bully other riders and you think it is just fabulous. Recall what i said up above about internet history?

As for not wearing a shirt---if a group asks you to wear a shirt, and you won't you are a [pick a term] (mods, can I say "sex aid"? I don't want to start a problem .... )

I hate wearing a helmet but if that is what the group requires, I do. I might not like all the group rules, but I follow them. it is what adults do. And I don't follow the rules and then crap on the people who made them .... if I don't like the rules I can ride elsewhere. yeah .... ideas like "respect" and cooperation" seem a little bit foreign to you. I assume in a while (you seem kind of young) you will learn that you can both be yourself and respect others.

I won't ask how old you are because maturity is not a function of age. It will suffice to say that I imagine that a few years of mellowing will improve the product, and wish you well on you way ...
Old 12-06-21, 10:05 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Quit your whining.

I don't care if you broke your neck, broke your back, or broke wind so hard it hurt. Nobody id "bullying" you at all and no one is thinking you are anything but "not a winner" for crying about being bullied. There is real bullying out there ..... and real victims. You are lame .... and not because of past injuries.

Also, if you post a pic of yourself you are inviting comments. Toughen up, snowflake. You literally asked for it.

By the way ... by your description, the guys you ride with bully other riders and you think it is just fabulous. Recall what i said up above about internet history?

As for not wearing a shirt---if a group asks you to wear a shirt, and you won't you are a [[i]pick a term] (mods, can I say "sex aid"? I don't want to start a problem .... )

I hate wearing a helmet but if that is what the group requires, I do. I might not like all the group rules, but I follow them. it is what adults do. And I don't follow the rules and then crap on the people who made them .... if I don't like the rules I can ride elsewhere. yeah .... ideas like "respect" and cooperation" seem a little bit foreign to you. I assume in a while (you seem kind of young) you will learn that you can both be yourself and respect others.

I won't ask how old you are because maturity is not a function of age. It will suffice to say that I imagine that a few years of mellowing will improve the product, and wish you well on you way ...
1) people who appreciate the digital footprint are delusional because its going to be part of the social credit system, not a good thing, look at China.
2) None of the racing training rides have asked me to wear a shirt, only the club ride (and I guess genejockys ride lol)
3) I don't approve of the race rides passing other riders too closely and ive expressed my concerns with people but its not something I can change.

the purpose of that pic was to show that a moderator for the fb group of that ride (doesn't mean anything but whatever) says im a good guy.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 12-06-21, 10:11 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Dude ... your first two comments are meaningless ..... and if you don't like what a group does, you do not support that group, it is called "having integrity" or "having the courage of one's convictions." if you think their behavior is not acceptable but you join them in that behavior, you are as guilty as the rest ... that fact that you "said something" one time doesn't get you off.

Fact is you described the group as "glorious" or maybe "fabulous," before anyone said much about their bad behavior ... so back-tracking and pretending that you stood up for righteousness isn't fooling anyone.

Whatever ... not much anyone here could say would likely help you. I think you just need to live a while and learn on your own .... just like the rest of us.

One note .... learning isn't passive.
Old 12-06-21, 10:18 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10241 Post(s)
Liked 11,593 Times in 5,942 Posts
Yep, that confirms it. It was Larry I saw, chasing the Spectrum Ride a month or so ago.

I long ago decided never to make fun of cyclists fatter than me, no matter how much fatter, because, by god, they're out there on the road. So, good on you, Larry, or Gabe, since I gather Larry Sellerz is a nom de plume.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 12-06-21, 10:32 PM
LarrySellerz

Maelochs I ride with them because they are the fastest and I want to challenge myself, I don't have to agree with everything they do. Frankly most of the close passing is incidental and not intentional at all. The club rides with leaders have problems of their own... whenever you get 50+ cyclists together there will be something of concern its just the nature of the beast. Nobody is being a jerk on purpose. Ty Gene im trying to lose my belly. Larry sellers is that kid in the Big Lebowski who was stonewalling John Goodman.
Old 12-06-21, 10:53 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Excellent choice of movie for choosing a pseudonym.

"We want the MONEY, Lebowski! She cut off her toe!!!"

Old 12-06-21, 11:19 PM
LarrySellerz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Wear a friggin' shirt, then. Nobody asked you to post that really gross butt picture.

I'd feel a lot worse about your neck if you didn't tell us about all the stupid dangerous crap you do.
its not gross... frankly you sound like a slow fred, do you even race?
Old 12-07-21, 04:20 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Larry/Gabe, this is your problem. You come in here and say something, and when you are redirected, you get indignant. And, you just can't seem to let go of the perceived indignity you think you've suffered.

Here's my take on you, for it to mean anything, you're gonna need to be somewhat self-reflective and honest with yourself.

I think you're here because you are looking for community with other cyclists, a hunch further supported by the fact that you have posted numerous times about your attempts to join group rides...sometimes invited (e.g., at a meetup point), and sometimes uninvited (e.g., racing some dude who is out on a solo ride, who never asked for you to join him). You come in here and relate these stories and tales to us, and you ostensibly want us to give you a virtual pat on the back and say "Attaboy, you're one of us." But, somewhere in every one of these stories, you also make it known that you refuse to be a part of the community by your steadfast insistence that you shouldn't have to conform to the rules and norms of that community's culture. For example, explaining a sharp indignance at having to wear a helmet or a short (aka, a jersey), and chalking it up as righteous because "They're just being elitists." Or, explaining how you think it should be fine to tack on the back of a ride uninvited and draft (but, I can assure you at three bike lengths, you aren't drafting, you're just lurking which is even weirder). There are good reasons for some of the rules. In some cases it is a matter of safety, and in others they stem solely from how the community sees itself.

You are going to continue to struggle to be a part of the community you want to join if you continue to refuse to adapt to and conform to some of the basic rules of the community. That you think you've been accepted IRL goes to show how socially unaware you are. I can assure you based on the screenshot you posted and then your own commentary on it, at least some of them are throwing shade at you. And, the sole reason is you, in particular your apparent and stated refusal to try to fit in and conform to the rules of the community.

Think about this: YOU are the only person who has the power to change this.

Last edited by Badger6; 12-09-21 at 09:45 AM. Reason: typos
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-07-21, 05:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Gotta say, this guy sure knows how to troll a boring pointless argument.

The sell-by date on this schtick expired a while ago, and he basically just mooned the thread. Genug mit dis guy.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-07-21, 06:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Sick burn, dude. Not a racing forum, not a racing thread. Isn't there a "here's my ass" forum you could post that at?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 12-07-21, 07:19 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,869 Times in 4,634 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
"We want the MONEY, Lebowski! She cut off her toe!!!"
In my mind, I'm hearing that with a German anarchist accent.
Old 12-07-21, 07:30 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I’ve never used the term fred, but I always thought that traditionally it was someone who didn’t have the “correct” look. Whether it was the clothes, or the bike, or the number of bags on a bike. It might even be someone wearing spandex to mountain bike. I would say, it would include not wearing a shirt.

But a fred was never a poser. A poser in any sport is someone who buys whatever is needed just to fit in, but not really wanting to put in the necessary effort, training, or practice to be at the level they are trying to promote.

It was infinitely worse to be a poser than a fred.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 12-07-21, 07:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I’ve never used the term fred, but I always thought that traditionally it was someone who didn’t have the “correct” look. Whether it was the clothes, or the bike, or the number of bags on a bike. It might even be someone wearing spandex to mountain bike. I would say, it would include not wearing a shirt.

But a fred was never a poser. A poser in any sport is someone who buys whatever is needed just to fit in, but not really wanting to put in the necessary effort, training, or practice to be at the level they are trying to promote.

It was infinitely worse to be a poser than a fred.

John

Fred is one of those terms that are used to mean completely opposite things--I think you're using it in its original sense, but now it's also being used to describe posers. Anyway, this guy's attempted insult of me is that I'm a slow non-racer. Whatever. He's hijacked the thread into comments on his aspic ass-pic.
Old 12-07-21, 11:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Koyote
In my mind, I'm hearing that with a German anarchist accent.
"These men are nihilists, Donny."

Old 12-07-21, 11:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Dude, YOU don't even race.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-21, 11:57 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by genejockey
"These men are nihilists, Donny."
Right, nihilists.

I guess I'm out of my element.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-07-21, 11:57 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I think it's gross and I race.
Likes For caloso:
Old 12-07-21, 11:58 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by caloso
I race on Zwift, does that count? And my avatar wears a shirt. Plus he's more buff than I am IRL.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-07-21, 12:04 PM
Koyote

Ditto.

The only thing worse than seeing a grown man in lycra is seeing him without it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 12-07-21, 01:07 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Ditto.

The only thing worse than seeing a grown man in lycra is seeing him without it.
You're giving him too much credit, intellectually anyway.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-07-21, 03:19 PM
LarrySellerz

its really not that gross, you never played shirts vs skins in soccer or something?
Old 12-07-21, 03:33 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
The Etiquette of Drafting? I'm not sure we're ready for that just yet. Apparently we're still trying to get all the members on board with wearing clothes while out in public.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 12-07-21, 03:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
its really not that gross, you never played shirts vs skins in soccer or something?
Sup? Not in shorts like that sporting the persona you’ve adopted. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts. So, yes, it is that gross.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.