Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which Ti Bike Did You Buy and Why? Happy or Not?

Old 04-13-21, 06:05 PM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
After a lengthy wait of almost six months, I just received my new Great Divide from No. 22 Bicycle Company. Although this is my fifth Ti bike, it is only the second one I got as a complete build. The other was a Salsa Colassal. Frame only builds were Lynskey (2) and a Litespeed. The key to the self-built bikes was having an expert doing the assembly who took on the task as if it was his own bike. I don't mean the guy at the lbs that assembles bikes all day in the back.
Old 04-14-21, 07:26 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Can you tell me about the No 22 and Boyd wheels?
Old 04-14-21, 11:38 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
I’ve got a ‘19 T-Lab X3, which I chose because I wanted an innovative design from a smaller builder, and found the construction of the X3 compelling. I also appreciate that it’s a lesser known brand, but one with a lot of expertise and experience coming from the old Guru team. I wound up finding and winning an eBay auction for the frameset at a great price, so that was awesome.

I’ve only just completed the build so cannot really comment on happiness with it in a meaningful way, but my initial impressions are that it’s spry and the handling on point, so I’m expecting to love the miles to come!

SCTinkering I have a modified Vector finish on this one, notably that it is only beadblasted and matte painted, without the brushed accents on the top- and down tubes. Only the model designation on the seat tube and chainstay are brushed. Anyway, the beadblast looks cool, but if you scuff it, you’re screwed; paint can be touched up or light scratches polished out, and brushed Ti can be retouched with a Scotchbrite pad, which is cool. I mean, you can try to touch up beadblast at home if you have a compressor, but getting the media mix right to match the finish is tricky. Were I ordering to spec, I’d probably go Lux brushed with custom paint on the front half, like the one they did with Boyd for NAHBS.

Likes For chaadster:
Old 04-18-21, 03:34 PM
1Lieutenant

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 19 Posts
Purchased a Lynskey R300 a year ago with one of their 30% off sales. SRAM Force 1x with Absolute Black 42T chain wheel. Internal cable routing. Rides smoothly absorbing road vibrations. Upgraded the wheels with Mavic Ksyrium Carbon wheels. The brushed finish is easy to maintain.

Lynskey R300
Likes For 1Lieutenant:
Old 04-18-21, 08:14 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Not quite a road bike, but I bought a built-up, 105-level, Lynskey Urbano in 2018 for commuting and gravel. It met my requirements quite nicely after replacing the crap original wheels with two sets of Hed Ardennes, shod with 25 and 36 mm tires, respectively.

how do you like your 36mm tires? i use 36mm tires on my touring bike and they seem to be comfy, although the back tire is just 32mm, but close enuf.

36mm on the front seems to give the bicycle more stability in the corners, i feel.
Old 04-19-21, 05:07 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Duo
how do you like your 36mm tires? i use 36mm tires on my touring bike and they seem to be comfy, although the back tire is just 32mm, but close enuf.

36mm on the front seems to give the bicycle more stability in the corners, i feel.
Nice for gravel, slow as poop on the road.
Old 04-19-21, 01:11 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Nice for gravel, slow as poop on the road.
about what my 36mm fat tire does. the forums seems to be encouraging us to try fatter tires, i had a 36mm laying around and tried it. the touring bike is comfy with those but no racer....slower. for now i am leaving 25mm tires on my trek 1500, seems to be the best of all worlds until they wear out. then i may try a 28mm tire to see what is new, as many think 28mm is as good or better than 25mm for average people.
Old 04-21-21, 07:41 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If I had the money, Brad Bingham would be building my next bike. His welds are the nicest I have seen. I also heard his wait times are less than Firefly so that might be a good choice.
Old 12-31-21, 05:15 AM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 86 Posts
Camaro

Originally Posted by bikejrff
After a lengthy wait of almost six months, I just received my new Great Divide from No. 22 Bicycle Company. Although this is my fifth Ti bike, it is only the second one I got as a complete build. The other was a Salsa Colassal. Frame only builds were Lynskey (2) and a Litespeed. The key to the self-built bikes was having an expert doing the assembly who took on the task as if it was his own bike. I don't mean the guy at the lbs that assembles bikes all day in the back.
do I see a 1978 Camaro? I had a 1978 Z/28
Old 12-31-21, 07:16 AM
bikejrff

Bikes: No. 22 Bicycle Great Divide, Lynskey R260, Salsa Colossal Ti, Litespeed T5, Lynskey Peloton, Bianchi Vigorelli, CAAD 10, Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, C-Dale Quick 1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by rossiny
do I see a 1978 Camaro? I had a 1978 Z/28
That belongs to my bike guru mentor. He is rebuilding it from the ground up. He's retiring this year and hoping to have more time to restore it.
Likes For bikejrff:
Old 12-31-21, 05:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
I bought a 1995 Litespeed Ultimate last week. The frame and fork are in great condition, but most of the components are old and dirty, so I'm planning on rebuilding it with modern components early next year. Right now, it's been stripped down, the finish restored to its original luster with red Scotchbrite, and decals applied...

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 12-31-21, 06:54 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
I've never owned a Titanium bike but have always wanted one. Hard to know which one to choose from though. There was a guy with a Litespeed here locally (never seen one before then) which looked to be a fine bike. Some one gave it to him. I should have asked if he ever wanted to get rid of it to give me a call. Yet, if I never ride a titanium bike I think, somehow, I'll live.
Old 12-31-21, 08:43 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
I've never owned a Titanium bike but have always wanted one. Hard to know which one to choose from though. There was a guy with a Litespeed here locally (never seen one before then) which looked to be a fine bike. Some one gave it to him. I should have asked if he ever wanted to get rid of it to give me a call. Yet, if I never ride a titanium bike I think, somehow, I'll live.
Yes, but not forever. But riding a Titanium bike probably won't make much difference either way.

Unless you're riding a Titanium bike and get hit by a car.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-01-22, 09:04 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey

Unless you're riding a Titanium bike and get hit by a car.
I tested your theory a few years ago by being hit. The steel frame and I both suffered. The frame isn't used any more but I still ride. I presume titanium and steel would behave the same way under similar conditions.
Old 01-01-22, 09:07 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
As long as it fits anyone is a good deal. I have owned Eddy Merckx Ti and now Bianchi mega tube Ti.
ti is great very forgiving over rough stuff bombproof.
Geo and tube design play huge role.
​​​​my eddy was whippy flexed crszy my Bianchi silly stiff but stil rides well...u can find grest deals on used at $1000- 1500 range.
Old 01-01-22, 09:22 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 226 Posts
Lynskey R230 purchased in 2014. By far, the most comfortable ride I have ever had. Ultegra mechanical. The yellow seat is a loaner/trial from Fizik. This is at the shop, setup and bike fit in progress.
Old 01-06-22, 07:32 PM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
As the thread starter, I just noticed this thread was revived. Thank you for all of your comments. In October, I put a deposit on a Moots Vamoots Disc RSL with a brush finish and gold anodized labels. I'm going with the new Shimano Ultegra DI-2 components. Today I was given the update that it should ship in May. I can't wait.
Likes For Bassmanbob:
Old 01-07-22, 07:29 AM
sarhog

Bikes: GR300, Grail, Live Wire, 5010

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 241 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by Bassmanbob
As the thread starter, I just noticed this thread was revived. Thank you for all of your comments. In October, I put a deposit on a Moots Vamoots Disc RSL with a brush finish and gold anodized labels. I'm going with the new Shimano Ultegra DI-2 components. Today I was given the update that it should ship in May. I can't wait.
Congrats on the incoming Moots, but HOLY COW, 8 MONTHS to get a Moots? I guess I naively believed that when I pay in excess of 10 grand for a bike, that it would be built and delivered in a matter of weeks.
Old 01-08-22, 04:50 AM
Bassmanbob

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Supersix EVO 3, 2015 Trek 520, 2017 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, 2022 Moots Vamoots Disc RSL

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 267 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Congrats on the incoming Moots, but HOLY COW, 8 MONTHS to get a Moots? I guess I naively believed that when I pay in excess of 10 grand for a bike, that it would be built and delivered in a matter of weeks.
My LBS owner told me right before I ordered this bike that it is the worst time he’s ever experienced getting a bike. It’s not just having the frame made but getting all the components, especially the Shimano components. As I’ve been told, they will only stick to the same production schedule regardless of what demand dictates. He actually had just gotten a new bike in for himself, dismantled some components, just to put them on a bike one of the customers was waiting for. Now he’s waiting for those components himself.

On another note, I knew that as soon as I mentioned Moots, someone was going to comment on the cost. I’m just looking forward to getting my bike.
Old 01-08-22, 07:22 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3078 Post(s)
Liked 1,631 Times in 1,005 Posts
On another note, I knew that as soon as I mentioned Moots, someone was going to comment on the cost. I’m just looking forward to getting my bike.
It is rather like buying a Rolls-Royce and being surprised people think you’re rich.

The gold labels are gonna look sweet, but they ain’t stealthy.

Congrats, though!
Old 01-08-22, 08:04 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,874 Times in 4,638 Posts
Originally Posted by sarhog
Global supply chain issues have been headline news for almost two years, and bike parts availability problems have been discussed widely on bf and have popped up in other media. Beyond that, some of the most esteemed builders have queues that are far longer than ten months; I believe that Richard Sachs' waiting list was over five years at one point, and that is for a frame+fork that will cost over $5k -- before components are added.
Old 01-08-22, 11:50 AM
sarhog

Originally Posted by Koyote
Global supply chain issues have been headline news for almost two years, and bike parts availability problems have been discussed widely on bf and have popped up in other media. Beyond that, some of the most esteemed builders have queues that are far longer than ten months; I believe that Richard Sachs' waiting list was over five years at one point, and that is for a frame+fork that will cost over $5k -- before components are added.
I’m aware of the global supply chain issues for bike components. I naively assumed that builders charging such a premium (Moots) might have amassed a cache of components.
I am in the early stages of “Ti-curiousness”. I thought that my only obstacle was stacks of cash, now I see that its also months of waiting.
Old 01-08-22, 11:55 AM
sarhog

My LBS owner told me right before I ordered this bike that it is the worst time he’s ever experienced getting a bike. It’s not just having the frame made but getting all the components, especially the Shimano components. As I’ve been told, they will only stick to the same production schedule regardless of what demand dictates. He actually had just gotten a new bike in for himself, dismantled some components, just to put them on a bike one of the customers was waiting for. Now he’s waiting for those components himself.

I’m not knocking you the cost. I have my eye on ordering a Moots.
Old 01-08-22, 05:42 PM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 349 Times in 189 Posts
This was a fun read. I’ve never been in the market for a Ti bike due to cost, but I fell in love with No.22 bikes a while ago and figured that’s what I’d get if I hit the lotto or something. Love their finishes. Surprised more folks here don’t have one from them - would love to hear thoughts from actual owners.
Old 01-09-22, 08:44 AM
AJ1515

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

This bike from Aphelion Cycles remains a puzzle, but a really well made, incredibly fun puzzle that does just about everything I want it to. At this point, I have taken apart and reassembled/upgraded all parts except the frame, bars, stem, seat topper, and fork. The frame has also been inspected by my LBS and a local aerospace welder. Given the price points on Aphelion's website--around 3500 pounds for a Ti bike with DuraAce 9000 mechanical and Mavic Cosmic carbon wheel--I don't believe this and other of their bikes were made anywhere other than the Far East. If that is a neg on the bike above, so be it. The welds are beautiful, the carbon components well manufactured, and the ride is exactly what I was after. Slap on a DuraAce BB and some re-finished DuraAce road cranks compliments of Ebay, and I don't need another bike for a long, long time.

(Now that this is written, watch the BB welds fail and the carbon components catastrophically snap. See you all in the ER!)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.