Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

NBD. My "Cruiser-esque" Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 04-27-21, 10:16 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts

So today was NBD, and like most things it’s about want vs need. When I got my Electra 7D about a year and 1/2 ago I wanted the Fat Tire version but being the end of the year they went NLA and I wanted a bike so I picked up the 7D and I’ve been happy and with no real complaints. Hasn’t stopped me from changing things but its a really nice riding bike.

I do think some of the roads where I live are a little tough on it, the tires are definitely not up to snuff and even with the 34 tooth rear ring It could go a little lower. On the paved paths in town and the hard packed trails by the river its perfect, but out where I live its a little hillier and there is limited pavement.

Sooooo I’ve always like the look of the Fat Bikes but A) The Electra seems to be discontinued, B) hard to justify almost essentially the same bike just with wider and similar smooth tires and C) the lower priced Fat bikes were really heavy (more so than the 7D) and had limited gearing - actually worse than the Electra.

A few weeks back I saw the KevCentral review on the new Mongoose Dolomite ALX. He does reviews mostly on big box aka “Walmart bikes” and I’ve watched his review on the Original steel Dolomite/Malus and its limitations. Even with the negative reviews on a lot of Walmart bikes (they’ve gotten better) if you step away from the true cheapies and He, as well as others have given this one glowing reviews.

I’m sure I’ll get asked “why post a Fatty in the beach cruiser section”? Partly because I really want a Fat Tire Cruiser-eqsue bike Like the Electra and at a similar price point
( actually $100 less than the 2019 version) with a few mods it could be cruiser-esque. At least for me Im not going to racing this thing down the mountain side more so just on the crappy roads and trails were I live and I’ll make a few adjustments to make it a more comfortable ride.

I had a Moto 3i a few years back and while a great bike, but for a few reasons - Me, tires and gearing I think this will make a better off road cruiser with is what I want. The Moto 8I looks good on paper but when it was available it was double the price of the Mongoose at almost $1K and it was like my 3i and was a little big. The mongoose is sized S,M, and L

That was a lot to get to this point, I was asked for a review and since I really like the group here I'll review it here and hopefully the mods won’t delete this.

Going in, knowing what I saw there were a few things I was going to change right out of the box. The brake levers, like on the Electra look pretty cheesy and I bought a set of Shimano levers and they came with cables and housings. The Grips while meh would’ve sufficed but lock ons are easier to work with and inexpensive and the ones I got have palm support. The Biggie for starting is the stem I bought a 45mm shorty vs the longer 85mm just to eliminate some “the lean” and give me a more upright “cruiser’ seating position and take some of the stress from my wrists, shoulders, and neck. Ill probably have to replace the seat, and I would like a Brooks Flyer with the spring. I guess I could take the B135 off the Electra but I really like that one on there. I also like grippy pedals like bear traps but I’m going to ride it as is and see.

That said I had it delivered to my buddy’s shop. While FedEx says they deliver the world, tossed my last delivery over a fence 20 plus miles away and didn’t seem to care at all when I tried to get it rectified so with this I didn’t take chances.

In the box it felt like it weighed a ton but after getting it out of the box and built it feels freakishly light. It looks like it should weigh a lot and I test rode the old Malus single speed inside a Walmart a few years back and it felt like a brick, just soooo heavy and while I’m sure tire pressure (at the time) and gearing were not great (compared to the 7spd) it felt brutal. Later reviews said the same thing.

I just assembled it and took a quick spin and its a very weird feeling and was surprisingly nimble for its look and those tires seems just ridiculous. They look far bigger in person than in the picture, But I love it.

Its going to take some fiddling to get the levers and shifter positioning right along with the seat but thats to be expected. The cable routing seems off and one of the clips for the front cable broke out of the box (fixed with a zip tie) and I put on a Plant Bike water bottle cage $5 and it looks crooked. I’m not sure ATM if its the bottle holder or the positioning of the mounting holes but again I’m sure its just going to need some fiddling.

So far Its it looks like a lot of bike for the money and probably overkill for the type of riding I’ll do but like I said it was more want than need and something fun for a spring time/ summer bike to play with.

I’ll report back as I get a chance to ride and play around with it and gets some pics as I get some time on the bike.

Here are some pics for comparision.

I was going to upload some pics but an unknown error prevents it

Likes For JehD:
Old 04-28-21, 05:03 AM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Congrats!
The fat tires do feel different and take a little getting use to .
They are fun to ride .
You’ll probably need to play with the air pressure to get it where it feels best to you.
The Electras have flaws too . For what they cost they shouldn’t , but they do . Lower end components.
Looking forward to some real pics and updates as you make it your own .
Old 04-28-21, 06:56 AM
JehD

I have to fix the Wifes Jeep today, but Ill definitely get pics up as soon as I get a chance to rplay around with it.
Likes For JehD:
Old 05-04-21, 06:51 PM
JehD

So I finally got a chance to take if for a short spin. Initial reactions are the bike is a good deal for the money.

I wanted to ride exactly out of the box and did that and while there is nothing that would have to be changed, meaning it's probably fine for a lot of people right out of the box, but I have some issues due to Arthritis, so I had to change a few things to adapt it to me.

I’ve been riding my 7D and I really like the upright laid back positioning so I wanted something like it but a little more capable off the paved paths. I'm not going to be blasting down a mountainside but just have some nasty roads. I’ll breakdown the changes and add a list and links for anyone that’s interested.

I installed a stem extender and changed the stem to bring the bars up and closer. I did have to cut about 3/8 of an inch off the stem extended, I could’ve gotten an extra spacer but this was easier.

I felt the brake levers on my 7D were sloppy and bought some Shimano ones for it and then put them on the Mongoose and the ones from the Mongoose on the Electra. The ones on the Mongoose were ok but I had these so they got swapped. They came with new cables and housing but I left the stock ones for now.

The pedals were ok but I like grippy pedals and bought some RockBros Pedals. So I took it for another ride and the positioning was a lot better for me, not as upright as the 7D but close.

I love the way it just rolls over stuff. Rocks that would probably toss the Electra our just get run over. I have the tires set at 15psi and you ca take them down to 4-5psi and it feels like driving a monster truck. Shifting is a little weird, more different than my older Rapid fires as you use your thumb for up and down vs thumb and forefinger but not a big deal.

The only downside and this is partly me wanting a more upright position and partly the bike. The seat post is a little short. I have it at max extension and I would really like it a little higher. This is more of an issue for me because my knees have problems, Most people would probably be fine as is. Also now that the bars are moved and I'm more upright the seat isn’t great for this positioning.

I ordered a longer post and in my case I'm going to swap over my Brooks B135 from the Electra and use it so I ordered an older style type post. I love the B135 on the Electra and Im going look into getting another Brooks later, maybe a B66/67, a FLyer or another B135 (Damn they've gone up in price!!) . I've spent my allowance for this month. Lol

Parts list and a few pics.

Stem extender

https://www.amazon.com/Weanas-Bicycl...0J22OIR8&psc=1

Stem

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YV77R7...roduct_details

Pedals

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWRQQGD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_detail

Seatpost

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stem extender. $12

Stem $12

Pedals $25

Seat Post $13

Likes For JehD:
Old 05-05-21, 08:20 AM
GeezyRider 

Bikes: There is always room for one more.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 366 Times in 215 Posts
Great looking bike and looks like a lot of fun to ride. I'm a KevCentral fan myself and his fat tire/fat tire ebike reviews may yet get me in trouble with my better half aka the Secretary of War.
Old 05-05-21, 02:41 PM
OldCruiser

Originally Posted by JehD
So I finally got a chance to take if for a short spin. Initial reactions are the bike is a good deal for the money.

I wanted to ride exactly out of the box and did that and while there is nothing that would have to be changed, meaning it's probably fine for a lot of people right out of the box, but I have some issues due to Arthritis, so I had to change a few things to adapt it to me.

I’ve been riding my 7D and I really like the upright laid back positioning so I wanted something like it but a little more capable off the paved paths. I'm not going to be blasting down a mountainside but just have some nasty roads. I’ll breakdown the changes and add a list and links for anyone that’s interested.

I installed a stem extender and changed the stem to bring the bars up and closer. I did have to cut about 3/8 of an inch off the stem extended, I could’ve gotten an extra spacer but this was easier.

I felt the brake levers on my 7D were sloppy and bought some Shimano ones for it and then put them on the Mongoose and the ones from the Mongoose on the Electra. The ones on the Mongoose were ok but I had these so they got swapped. They came with new cables and housing but I left the stock ones for now.

The pedals were ok but I like grippy pedals and bought some RockBros Pedals. So I took it for another ride and the positioning was a lot better for me, not as upright as the 7D but close.

I love the way it just rolls over stuff. Rocks that would probably toss the Electra our just get run over. I have the tires set at 15psi and you ca take them down to 4-5psi and it feels like driving a monster truck. Shifting is a little weird, more different than my older Rapid fires as you use your thumb for up and down vs thumb and forefinger but not a big deal.

The only downside and this is partly me wanting a more upright position and partly the bike. The seat post is a little short. I have it at max extension and I would really like it a little higher. This is more of an issue for me because my knees have problems, Most people would probably be fine as is. Also now that the bars are moved and I'm more upright the seat isn’t great for this positioning.

I ordered a longer post and in my case I'm going to swap over my Brooks B135 from the Electra and use it so I ordered an older style type post. I love the B135 on the Electra and Im going look into getting another Brooks later, maybe a B66/67, a FLyer or another B135 (Damn they've gone up in price!!) . I've spent my allowance for this month. Lol

Parts list and a few pics.

Stem extender

https://www.amazon.com/Weanas-Bicycl...0J22OIR8&psc=1

Stem

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YV77R7...roduct_details

Pedals

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CWRQQGD?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_detail

Seatpost

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Stem extender. $12

Stem $12

Pedals $25

Seat Post $13

looks sharp ! I like it . Makes me want one !
Old 05-06-21, 11:17 AM
JehD

Originally Posted by kirby999
looks sharp ! I like it . Makes me want one !
Thanks. Im waiting for a new seatpost so I can put my Brooks B130 on it. Ive broken that one in on my Electra and am going to swap it over. If it works and I have no reason to assume it wont Ill be on the hook for another Brooks for my Electra. Maybe a B33, I really like looks of the double wire springs. Of course its the most expensive one. lol
Likes For JehD:
Old 05-08-21, 11:30 AM
JehD

Not sure whats going on... I made the same post and it just cuts half out and deletes the pics. Ill try again later.

Last edited by JehD; 05-08-21 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-08-21, 11:57 AM
JehD

Last edited by JehD; 05-08-21 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-08-21, 11:58 AM
JehD

FINALLY. Got to take it on its first real maiden test run. Grabbed the Park 3 way allen key and a 13mm for the seat and off I went. It was hard top tell how it was on the pavement portion of my ride because there was headwind and its uphill for the frs 1 1/2 miles but the extra gearing us really nice. I’ve got the tires set at 15psi front and rear and once I get to the dirt (rocks, loose soil weeds ect) it just rolls over stuff like a monster truck

Its a solid bike, feels nice and tight, shifts well and even brakes well. The pads may need a good bedding in but even out of the box they are fine.

The only downsides and I’m nitpicking. I can’t use the seat, In an upright position its outright torture but for people using it in the manner it was designed Im sure it would be ok. Im not a fan of the shifters. The Microshifts work well and go through all the gears but they are thumb up and down not thumb and forefinger like true rapid fires. Not a big deal IF I can’t get used to them Ill look for Shimanos but Ill going to run them for now.

The Brooks B130 makes a world of difference, especially in upright position. I stole my wife’s seat for my Electra but its going to need to be replaced before she notices…lol

And a few pics from the trail.

Last edited by JehD; 05-08-21 at 12:11 PM.
Likes For JehD:
Old 05-08-21, 01:41 PM
OldCruiser

Looks like a fun ride !
One has to ride a fat tire bike to fully realize what riding one feels like . It reminds me of a monster truck also . Like a jacked up four by four . LOL !
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 05-13-21, 03:27 PM
jzink0883

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Really like the idea of a mountain bike cruiser.
Old 05-13-21, 03:29 PM
jzink0883

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking forward to seeing this progress.
Old 05-15-21, 04:11 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by jzink0883
Looking forward to seeing this progress.
For the moment Ive done all the mods I’m going to. Essentially. I raised the bars an brought them in. New Pedals and took the seat from my cruiser.

Its nice having the lower gearing. It makes the bike slower but I’m not grinding away but am spinning more. I’m in it for the exercise so speed isnt important. Ill just hop on and go until my knees start to hurt and then turn back. It is like an monster truck and just rolls over anything.
Likes For JehD:
Old 05-15-21, 04:29 PM
OldCruiser

It is like an monster truck and just rolls over anything.
Sounds like a fun ride to me !
Likes For OldCruiser:
Old 07-30-21, 07:48 AM
jzink0883

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I’m 5’9”. I have the inseam of a 5’5” guy (30” jeans are a little long) and the weight (215#) of a 6’2” guy 🙂.

What frame size is your ALX?

The standover works well with your inseam?
Old 08-05-21, 09:03 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by jzink0883
I’m 5’9”. I have the inseam of a 5’5” guy (30” jeans are a little long) and the weight (215#) of a 6’2” guy 🙂.

What frame size is your ALX?

The standover works well with your inseam?
i got the medium. I’m 5-10 with a 31 inseam and the stand over is just fine. With the huge tires it’s like a 29er but I think a S would work for you and they see, easier to source.
Likes For JehD:
Old 10-28-21, 03:55 AM
jzink0883

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i got the medium. I’m 5-10 with a 31 inseam and the stand over is just fine. With the huge tires it’s like a 29er but I think a S would work for you and they see, easier to source.
JehD,

Thanks for the size info. I still haven’t bought an ALX. I check walmart.com daily to check on availability. They had the “S” frames in stock for a few days this month, but I passed. Walmart lists the “S” as being a 17” frame, but I’ve confirmed with two owners that the actual seat post length of the “S” is 15.25”.

The Mongoose Argus Trail 26 has the same frame as the Dolomite ALX, but is equipped with higher-end components.
At mongoose.com, the recommended heights for the Argus Trail 26 are:
Small: 5’3” - 5’6”
Med: 5’5” - 5’10”
Lg: 5’9” - 6’2”