Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

front derailleur won't go largest cog

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-21, 04:58 PM
laopi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi, I had a shimano 505 front derailleur, when the shifter in 3, it won't go to largest cog, stay in middle cog, the cable is tight enough, if I pull the cable manfully, it will go to the largest cog. here is pictures, who can help me to fix it?

I'm not able to upload any picture now.

peter
Old 06-21-21, 05:21 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
When you move the front shifter to upshift, does the derailer move at all ?, but just not enough to get the chain up onto the big ring ?. Thats a cable tension issue, corrected by tightening the cable via the barrel adjuster. They tend to loosen as the system is breaking in.
Old 06-21-21, 09:35 PM
laopi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Steve B.
When you move the front shifter to upshift, does the derailer move at all ?, but just not enough to get the chain up onto the big ring ?. Thats a cable tension issue, corrected by tightening the cable via the barrel adjuster. They tend to loosen as the system is breaking in.
Thanks for your quick reply.
when I push the shifter, the derailleur move, but not enough to the largest cog, I think the cable is tight enough like I mentioned in original post.

peter
Old 06-21-21, 11:10 PM
Alberta1980

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best to adjust the derailleur from square one. Loosen the set limit screws, screw in your barrel tube adjuster and re clamp down the cable to the deraileur so it is tight without the derailleur being moved. Make sure the derailleur is at the right height and angle. From there put the chain into the 1 st gear on the front and back and unscrew the barrel tube adjuster until the inner part of the derailleur touches the chain and then back it off a quarter turn so it no longer rubs. Check the shifting and note that chain rub is normsl when cross chaining.
Old 06-21-21, 11:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
@laopi's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/541328
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/21725650

Old 06-21-21, 11:31 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
In your pictures, it shows 050, rather than 505

If you can pull the cable manually to shift, then the high/low limit screws are probably OK, as well as the derailleur height. Although, it depends a bit on whether your shifter is sychronized, or some kind of multi-click, and you can't quite get to the next click (in which case loosening the high limit screw slightly may help a bit).

If you don't have any more clicks with your shifter then you may need to adjust the cable tension.

If you have a "barrel adjuster" at the shifter, then you can try screwing it out slightly and see if that causes your bike to shift.

If there is no barrel adjuster, then it can be tricky getting the cable length/tension just perfect adjusting at the bolt.
Old 06-22-21, 11:21 AM
laopi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CliffordK
In your pictures, it shows 050, rather than 505

If you can pull the cable manually to shift, then the high/low limit screws are probably OK, as well as the derailleur height. Although, it depends a bit on whether your shifter is sychronized, or some kind of multi-click, and you can't quite get to the next click (in which case loosening the high limit screw slightly may help a bit).

If you don't have any more clicks with your shifter then you may need to adjust the cable tension.

If you have a "barrel adjuster" at the shifter, then you can try screwing it out slightly and see if that causes your bike to shift.

If there is no barrel adjuster, then it can be tricky getting the cable length/tension just perfect adjusting at the bolt.
Thanks, try adjust the barrel adjuster, it works now.

peter
Likes For laopi: