Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

$1, no brain, gear hanger alignment! :-)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-21, 12:06 PM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts

Did like this today. Worked great.

Old 08-16-21, 12:01 AM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Wolftooth offer a similar tool called the Pack Hanger.

Great in a pinch, if you don't have the tool or you can't get to the lbs. In my opinion it will get you in the ball park for up to 9 speed, possibly 10. For 11 and 12 speed a Park Tool DAG or similar is a must as the spacing is narrower and a very small deviation at the hanger can cause issues.

A derailleur hanger adjustment tool is the best bike tool investment I've ever made. Hangers are ALWAYS bent.
Especially when people decide to go 1x and use clutched mechs, it will eventually bend the hanger just with normal use.

As a side note, I used to own one of those Defy 3.5. Contrary to what people used to say about stiff old aluminium frames, it was great to ride hydroformed aluminium tubing and came with a carbon fork and dropped stays, in 2009. Way ahead of it's time it was very light as well.
Old 08-16-21, 01:41 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
A few years ago I bought a brand new bike. After riding it many miles and not being able to get it properly tuned I realized the hanger was slightly bent probably from shipping. I just eyeballed it from the rear and got it perfect in a couple of minutes. I personally wouldn't go through all the trouble of trying to fab up an alignment tool unless I couldn't get it shifting perfect with the eyeball method.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 08-16-21, 10:14 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
You can also use a spare rear wheel screwed into the hanger. Most have the same thread 10 X 1 mm. Use the spare wheel to bend the hanger until wheels are parallel.
Old 08-16-21, 02:54 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Neat! Pretty good DIY thinking I think.

If adjustment is needed then make sure the hanger is what you are bending and not the all-thread.
Old 08-16-21, 05:17 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Some hangers change alignment when a wheel is clamped in the dropouts vs no wheel
Old 08-16-21, 07:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Where did you get a length of all-thread threaded M10x1.0 mm?
Likes For HillRider:
Old 08-18-21, 04:43 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by HillRider
Where did you get a length of all-thread threaded M10x1.0 mm?
I didn't. Used two pieces of m8, six nuts and some washers. Threaded m10x1 is not available in a normal hardware store.

I used it for realigning the hanger after a stick got jammed.
Old 08-18-21, 04:48 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by grizzly59
Some hangers change alignment when a wheel is clamped in the dropouts vs no wheel
I suppose this is true to an extent. I used four nuts on rod in the rear wheel dropouts to simulate the length of the hub and the usual clamping of the qr.
Old 08-18-21, 05:07 PM
Racing Dan

Originally Posted by Schlafen
Wolftooth offer a similar tool called the Pack Hanger.

Great in a pinch, if you don't have the tool or you can't get to the lbs. In my opinion it will get you in the ball park for up to 9 speed, possibly 10. For 11 and 12 speed a Park Tool DAG or similar is a must as the spacing is narrower and a very small deviation at the hanger can cause issues.

A derailleur hanger adjustment tool is the best bike tool investment I've ever made. Hangers are ALWAYS bent.
Especially when people decide to go 1x and use clutched mechs, it will eventually bend the hanger just with normal use.

As a side note, I used to own one of those Defy 3.5. Contrary to what people used to say about stiff old aluminium frames, it was great to ride hydroformed aluminium tubing and came with a carbon fork and dropped stays, in 2009. Way ahead of it's time it was very light as well.
I honestly think its better than just for a pinch, as long as the rods are straight. A 500mm overhang is way more than the ~310mm rim radius that a normal gear hanger tool uses to gauge against and I would assume its at least equally good. Depending on the length of the rods, you should be able to easily detect a small fraction of a degree deviation. For instance a 0.1 degree deviation between the gear eye and the wheel dropouts translates to 0.9mm misalignment at the end of the rods,- easily detectable by eye.

Last edited by Racing Dan; 08-18-21 at 05:28 PM.
Old 08-18-21, 06:27 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Threaded m10x1 is not available in a normal hardware store.
Exactly, which is why I asked. For that matter, I've never seen metric threaded all-thread rod of any diameter in my local hardware or big-box home stores. However, in place of 8 mm, 5/16" or 3/8" all-thread would do equally well since you aren't actually threading it into anything.

Last edited by HillRider; 08-18-21 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-18-21, 11:42 PM
Schlafen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
I honestly think its better than just for a pinch, as long as the rods are straight. A 500mm overhang is way more than the ~310mm rim radius that a normal gear hanger tool uses to gauge against and I would assume its at least equally good. Depending on the length of the rods, you should be able to easily detect a small fraction of a degree deviation. For instance a 0.1 degree deviation between the gear eye and the wheel dropouts translates to 0.9mm misalignment at the end of the rods,- easily detectable by eye.
There's a reason why every seasoned mechanic prefers 9/10 speed drivetrains because you can slap them together and be out the door in a lunch break without even touching the indexing barrels. 1mm off at the hanger is nothing in this case.

I've been running 11 speed since it basically came out, that's about a decade now, and, I know from experience that 1mm off misalignment is unforgiving and can make you pull your hairs our sometimes. First thing I check when building a bike.

I also check my hanger everytime the drivetrin is off for cleaning (ultrasonic cleaner, parts come off) and while more involved than the old 'rub a toothbrush on the chain' routine, the next cog is always 1 crisp click away.

That may be just me liking my drivetrains to work as designed, not just leaving it to 'it works', which is not good enough.
Same applies when I see people miss matching components and leaving it to 'well it works'. Smh unimpressed.

While 11 speed is pretentious, 12 speed is tight yo, luckily people go electronic these days, we can leave those eyeballs to rest now. 3D alignment of 2 parallel rods may give some people a run for their eyes. I'll stick to 'in a pinch' with this one.