Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Fork -> Body

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Fork -> Body

Old 02-02-22, 03:00 AM
frugihoyi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Fork -> Body

Didn't know what other title to give this thread.

I have a used bike and I don't think I got it with the original fork. As you can see in the picture, there is a gap between the fork and the body of the bike. It works fine, but it looks strange so I was wondering if I'm missing a piece between the two.
Old 02-02-22, 04:02 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
What you refer to as the "body" is commonly known as the "head tube".
If it was me, I'd pull that apart to see if there are two crown races on top of each other.
That would explain the gap nicely.
Likes For dabac:
Old 02-02-22, 07:17 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
What you refer to as the "body" is commonly known as the "head tube".
If it was me, I'd pull that apart to see if there are two crown races on top of each other.
That would explain the gap nicely.
This^^^.

I would pull the fork out and make sure

1- The crown race is fully seated.

2- There is only one crown race.

3- The crown race, bearing, and headset cup (the part in the frame) all fit together well. Being a used bike/fork, there is always a chance that someone put in a new fork with the wrong crown race for the headset.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-02-22, 09:00 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,053 Times in 739 Posts
It's hard to tell from the photo but don't rule out the possibility that the crown race is upside down.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-02-22, 09:14 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
I see the fork crown race seat as being "open" as in there's no headset race seated down all the way. Why is yet to be known. Do what the others have suggested before you ride this bike.

And look at the rest of the bike for other safety issues. It's obvious to me that someone who doesn't know what they are doing was worked on this bike. What you don't know can still kill you. Andy
Old 02-02-22, 09:51 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Agree with all the others in that I believe that you may have two crown races installed on that fork. Take it apart to find out
Old 02-02-22, 10:43 AM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Since the OP is referring to the frame (or more specifically the head tube) as the "body" I think suggesting they investigate this themselves is very poor advice.

Take this to a knowledgeable mechanic and have them look at it. If you have a friend that knows bikes they can take it apart and show you how it works.
Likes For FastJake:
Old 02-02-22, 02:31 PM
frugihoyi

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastJake
Since the OP is referring to the frame (or more specifically the head tube) as the "body" I think suggesting they investigate this themselves is very poor advice.

Take this to a knowledgeable mechanic and have them look at it. If you have a friend that knows bikes they can take it apart and show you how it works.
I strongly disagree. Just because I don't know the correct names of all bicycle parts, doesn't mean I can't work on it myself. I've been repairing my own bikes for many years and learning along the way.
Old 02-02-22, 02:52 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by frugihoyi
I strongly disagree. Just because I don't know the correct names of all bicycle parts, doesn't mean I can't work on it myself. I've been repairing my own bikes for many years and learning along the way.
I am all for people working on their own stuff, but not knowing what the frame is called (after "many years", really?) was a big enough red flag that I made a judgement call.

Here is a great intro on headsets: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html

I have never seen two crown races installed on a fork and suspect this bike has a strangely shaped headtube and this is normal. Or, more likely, something has been installed upside down.
Old 02-02-22, 03:04 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
You can have more then enough mechanical competency to work on a bike (including what the OP is looking at) and not know what some of the parts are called (in this case the head tube).
Old 02-02-22, 05:07 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4172 Post(s)
Liked 3,791 Times in 2,270 Posts
Would you trust a doctor who couldn't refer to body parts with their "proper" names? How about a lawyer that can't read a document because it uses terms that they don't know? Having said that...

I have all kinds of empathy for those who can't spell, don't read or write well. (and while I disliked the politics of the first George Bush and would never trust Dan Quale to take over it wasn't because of his spelling challenges) I suffer from this, spent years in special speech classes and live by this computer's spell check. Some might see this in how I write replies here. BUT I do try to get grammar and spelling correct best I can. It's when one takes their "style" and places it before the public that this becomes a concern for many. I mentioned a similar type of concern but with the person who assembled the headset as the worry, not the OP. Andy
Old 02-02-22, 05:40 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake

Need to emphasize this since the nature of the original question indicates that this might be the best course of action.

Regarding the OP's subsequent comments. OK give it ago yourself. Plenty of youtube videos and online text stuff to get anyone throughj a head tube/ headset issue. But maybe I'm too prideful, but when I post questions and don't know the parts I'm referring to, I try to educate myself at least that much before posting. I have indeed looked for names of bike parts before trying to ask a question. Not only do I feel better (like i said, pride), but prober nomenclature is a real benefit to communicating well. That's why every profession has jargon. In this case it would have helped greatly in that the thread title would have been understandable.

Last edited by Camilo; 02-02-22 at 05:44 PM.
Old 02-02-22, 06:15 PM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Also make sure it's the right crown race for the headset while you're at it...
Old 02-02-22, 06:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2302 Post(s)
Liked 2,738 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Crankycrank
It's hard to tell from the photo but don't rule out the possibility that the crown race is upside down.
that what it looks like to me upside down crown race

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 02-02-22, 07:10 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
My experience with working on a headset for the first time showed me that they are not all that difficult, and I am far from being an experienced, knowledgeable person with good mechanical aptitude. I found that getting the right tools certainly makes it easier, but still doable with self made or alternate tools that can and do work. Youtube videos, like RJ the Bike Guy, and Park Tools are informative and actually let you see what you are trying to accomplish. Certainly, some of the videos are not so good or informative. Of course, making sure you know the proper type and specs for a BB that is compatible with your BB shell and crank set is of utmost importance. All the styles and sizes that are now used can be a bit confusing. Good quality, sealed bearing cartridges make it easier to replace the bearings if the proper one is being used. I do now have a headset cup removal tool and a headset press. Both are lower cost versions from online dealers branded with their name.

It can be helpful to take pictures and notes while removing and installing the headset/bearings, so you are not going just on memory or using what you perceive to likely be correct. Take your time, check a video again if necessary, make sure to do a thorough inspection before riding the bike. One other note of help, I have a good relationship with the LBS I frequent, ergo, asking questions or having them look at something is okay with them. I never look to get something for free, but it does happen, I then make my appreciation known in someway.

As for knowing the proper terms, it does simplify the communication and helps those that are willing to help you. Much of that just comes from experience and information from others. I think most members that comment on wrong terminology are truly trying to help. At times, some just need a way to ego build and feel superior. Pretty sure most humans are sometimes guilty of that.