Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Looking for a faster 20" folding bike

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Looking for a faster 20" folding bike

Old 08-11-22, 02:22 AM
Ron Damon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 538 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by splithub
..i guess the numbers are not about the picture. It would appear very different in 37-451. But i would love to know how the owner managed to prepare the fork steerer tube to work with that short-clamping handlebar stem. I did that before, so i know about but i'm very curious how others did.
..sorry for OT
This is just an example of common rigs around here. There are OS handle posts so that's not a problem. There OS stem risers (extenders) to extend reach so that's not a problem. The point is that building a rig like this is relatively easy. You want a 60t chainring, that's easily available too. You travel to Thailand and China. All of this is available there. The frame set, that's not a problem. A FnHon Blast frameset will set you back less than $200.
Old 08-11-22, 09:48 PM
Ron Damon

Likes For Ron Damon:
Old 08-14-22, 11:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
I put a Sram Dual Drive on my Airnimal Joey. That is a three speed internally geared hub that has a standard 8 or 9 speed cassette freehub. Sram took that hub out of production a number of years ago, but it is my understanding that Sturmey Archer makes one like it.

The reason that I mention this is that in high gear on the three speed hub it is in an overdrive mode. You could use a standard 8 or 9 speed cassette with a small sprocket of 11 teeth and get gearing higher than you would with a 10T sprocket on a standard hub.

But since I am ignorant of the Sturmey Archer, others would have to elaborate on that. Not sure what hub spacing you would need, the Sram that I have fits in 135mm dropouts. And this would also be an issue for your budget.

If you are racing with roadies, there is some extra drag in the hub, but I can't feel it. For recreational riding, I think that such a hub is great.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 08-14-22, 02:57 PM
Reddleman
iti biking

Bikes: Tern Link D8, much upgraded

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 50 Posts
It is my understanding from other posters on a different forum that the Sturmey Archer dual drive hub, although sold as 135mm wide has several locking bolts, one of which can be removed for use in a 130mm wide dropout without any issues.
Old 08-14-22, 07:35 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I put a Sram Dual Drive on my Airnimal Joey. That is a three speed internally geared hub that has a standard 8 or 9 speed cassette freehub. Sram took that hub out of production a number of years ago, but it is my understanding that Sturmey Archer makes one like it.

The reason that I mention this is that in high gear on the three speed hub it is in an overdrive mode. You could use a standard 8 or 9 speed cassette with a small sprocket of 11 teeth and get gearing higher than you would with a 10T sprocket on a standard hub.

But since I am ignorant of the Sturmey Archer, others would have to elaborate on that. Not sure what hub spacing you would need, the Sram that I have fits in 135mm dropouts. And this would also be an issue for your budget.

If you are racing with roadies, there is some extra drag in the hub, but I can't feel it. For recreational riding, I think that such a hub is great.
I used to own a Dahon Dash with the SRAM DD. I liked it and it did have exceptionally wide range and the inefficiency|drag was almost imperceptible, but it was not light. Not exactly a porker but not light either. Not sure it would be appropriate for a road speed rig.
Old 08-15-22, 08:12 AM
joey buzzard

Bikes: Swift Folder, Haro Vector, Sundeal V1 mini-velo,1991 Peugeot 531 Reynolds road bike with Campy wheels and Ultegra 6600 groupset

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron Damon
I prioritize climbing so top end gear-inches in the 80s is perfectly fine for my terrain and riding style. Ergo, 50t is as big as I would need and install on a 406er. I once had a folder with 120-odd gear inches at the top. That was a total waste so I went to 1x and a more limited gearing range.

I'm into climbing as well and I live in amongst some high mountain ranges. Right now my Swift is set up with 406 wheels and 56_11-42 gearing. Personally I think that maybe the 11-42 cassette is a bit more than I actually need - I did all the same mountain roads with 56_11-36 last year and it was a little lighter. That said I do like having a big ring in front. These days it's easy to get a very good spread of high to low gears on the cassette, so no need to keep it small up front for the mountain imo.

Last edited by joey buzzard; 08-15-22 at 08:18 AM.
Likes For joey buzzard:
Old 08-15-22, 04:58 PM
Ron Damon

Originally Posted by joey buzzard
I'm into climbing as well and I live in amongst some high mountain ranges. Right now my Swift is set up with 406 wheels and 56_11-42 gearing. Personally I think that maybe the 11-42 cassette is a bit more than I actually need - I did all the same mountain roads with 56_11-36 last year and it was a little lighter. That said I do like having a big ring in front. These days it's easy to get a very good spread of high to low gears on the cassette, so no need to keep it small up front for the mountain imo.
Yeah, the thing is that I do multi-week tours and load up on gear. Apples and Orangutans. You think 42t in the back is enough. Swell, good for you. I, myself, am looking to mount a 11-46t on my 451er build in the pipeline. You are in Spain. I am right smack on top, literally, of the Ring of Fire.

Touring is not about speed, but rather endurance and proper pacing. It's more about spinning and cadence than mashing and speed. Cross a country loaded up spanning weeks and we can talk.
I've been in the area where you are, the Granada, Ronda & Alpujarra environs. I know it's quite mountainous with the highest peak in Spain. One day I hope to base myself in Ronda and cycle each day.
I actually toured with a 11-36t cogset in South Korea, and that was fine (ironically member 2_i questioned the use of only 11-36t). But for other places, volcanic places, I'd definitely need more than that.

Last edited by Ron Damon; 08-15-22 at 07:18 PM.
Likes For Ron Damon: