Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Waterloo to Dubuque

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Waterloo to Dubuque

Old 09-08-16, 06:58 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Waterloo to Dubuque

Ride Across Iowa in 3 days!! Broke the string of 100 milers. Only 93 miles today. Took back roads again.

For the first time on these rides I just felt tired at the start. It was all I could do to turn the pedals. I had several HTFU conversations with myself. I reminded myself this was for fun, I was out riding because I wanted to and just take what the road gave me.

After about 30 miles I found my groove, picked up a little helping wind and rode the next 35 miles in a zombie state doing 20-25 mph. I even zoomed past my sag support without even noticing!

Stopped in Dyesville for a huge lunch.

Hit a few hills near Dubuque. Actually climbed up to a ski slope!! In Iowa????

On to Illinois!

(Anybody reading this stuff??? Getting too old???)

Started out on bike paths in Waterloo.

Crossed over a river.

New DRY shoes after yesterday's rain!

County roads with Share the Roads signs!

A white water section in Manchester

Self explanatory

Gorgeous barn

Last edited by jppe; 09-08-16 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 07:01 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
No pics of the ski slope?

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 09-08-16, 07:34 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
No pics of the ski slope?

My phone hit its storage limit until I could get back to Wifi. Seems like it was called Sundown Mountain Ski Resort?
Old 09-09-16, 05:36 AM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice

I'm reading your posts each day with interest...keep em coming.
Old 09-09-16, 05:50 AM
George

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Yes, I'm checking in everyday. So far, it looks like your having a great trip. Ride safe.
Old 09-09-16, 06:01 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
I'm enjoying your posts. You hit some serious rain when you crossed IA.
Old 09-09-16, 06:50 AM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
<--- I'm still reading your posts every day. You're doing great on describing each section in details that would probably run all together in your mind and be lost if you did the whole story at the end.

I'd offer to guide/ride with you through the Cleveland area, but you're much too fast for me - my 'distance' pace is more like 15-16mph.

US20 through Indiana and western/central Ohio parallels the Indiana and Ohio Turnpikes. As such there are a LOT of truckers that take that route to avoid the turnpike tolls. When you get into Western Ohio, there is an ALT US20 that starts about 12-15 miles into the State, and following 60 miles that will take you to the southern edge of Toledo instead of through it where it rejoins US20

If you're still riding US20 through Ohio when you get near the Cleveland area, there is a rail-trail from Kipton (by Oberlin) into Elyria that you can take to avoid the US20 4-lane 'no bikes' section there. From the Oberlin/Elyria area to
Old 09-09-16, 08:03 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Yup, reading every day and enjoying it immensely.

It's been a wonderful blog/report and would love to see it archived for future reference.
Old 09-09-16, 08:05 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj

US20 through Indiana and western/central Ohio parallels the Indiana and Ohio Turnpikes. As such there are a LOT of truckers that take that route to avoid the turnpike tolls. When you get into Western Ohio, there is an ALT US20 that starts about 12-15 miles into the State, and following 60 miles that will take you to the southern edge of Toledo instead of through it where it rejoins US20

If you're still riding US20 through Ohio when you get near the Cleveland area, there is a rail-trail from Kipton (by Oberlin) into Elyria that you can take to avoid the US20 4-lane 'no bikes' section there. From the Oberlin/Elyria area to
Same story in central and eastern Illinois. US20 is unusually dangerous for cyclists.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 09-09-16 at 08:14 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 09:32 AM
dhender02

Bikes: Felt Z85 & Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I'm reading your post EVERYDAY and throughly enjoying it!! I even go back to some of the older posts when I see a new comment posted and/or for reference. Definitely living, errr riding, vicariously through you.

Keep the posts coming!!

Not sure what I'm going to do when you finally make it to Boston, maybe chair the JPPE Withdrawal Anonymous group..
Old 09-09-16, 12:06 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Same story in central and eastern Illinois. US20 is unusually dangerous for cyclists.
It has been awhile since my wife and I rode across the U.S. on US 20; we rode it on 2007. I really don't remember any real issues from the Iowa border to Chicago. We got off the busy sections where needed or when a nearby alternate when required.

Actually, the riding was pretty good in the eastern part of the country. Where Hwy20 parallels I90 the riding was really nice. We found that most of the trucks took the Interstate instead of Hwy 20. Often 20 would go right under the interstate. Toledo was not a problem either; it is not too difficult to pick your way across a city.

I would not classify any of the riding as "unusually dangerous." Our goal was to ride the longest contiguous coast-to-coast highway in the U.S., so we stayed on 20 as much as we could.
Old 09-09-16, 12:28 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
It has been awhile since my wife and I rode across the U.S. on US 20; we rode it on 2007. I really don't remember any real issues from the Iowa border to Chicago. We got off the busy sections where needed or when a nearby alternate when required.

Actually, the riding was pretty good in the eastern part of the country. Where Hwy20 parallels I90 the riding was really nice. We found that most of the trucks took the Interstate instead of Hwy 20. Often 20 would go right under the interstate. Toledo was not a problem either; it is not too difficult to pick your way across a city.

I would not classify any of the riding as "unusually dangerous." Our goal was to ride the longest contiguous coast-to-coast highway in the U.S., so we stayed on 20 as much as we could.
It's unfortunate that you haven't traveled other routes through northern Illinois, much safer and more scenic alternatives exist. Rt 20 is not usually used by local cyclist in the eastern half of Illinois.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 09-09-16, 01:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Ride Across Iowa in 3 days!! Broke the string of 100 milers. Only 93 miles today.Took backroads again.

For the first time on these rides I just felt tired at the start. It was al lI could do to turn the pedals. I had several HTFU conversations with myself.I reminded myself this was for fun,I was out riding because I wanted to andjust take what the road gave me.

After about 30 miles I found my groove, picked up a little helping wind and rode the next 35 miles in a zombie state doing 20-25 mph. I even zoomed past my sagsupport without even noticing!

On to Illinois!
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
… your pictures are very photogenic, and particularly illustrative in that they nicely capture all the elements ofthe Ride: the terrain, surfaceof the Road*, lighting, [and loneliness]etc., so relevant to a cyclist, and as I remember them on our cross-country ride.

jp,you obviously freely chose …the Roads you are now riding,with tough, as well as sublime riding conditions. IMO … how you handle these conditions tossed your way, brought on by your choices, represents your Character.
Originally Posted by Carbonated
What difficult conditions yet you persevered!
You are one hell of a cyclist!
FWIW, I have previously posted about my mental techniques to overcome the sameness of my routes.
Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have foundthat when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….

One other whimsical technique on familiar roads is to imagine I'm riding with a certain fellow BF subscriber from the Midwest I enjoy reading, and I'm showing him around on my route. I particularly enjoy having visitors to Boston and take them on tours…
Originally Posted by Steven Wright
”I have an imaginary friend, but he won’t play with me.”
So jp, if you need an imaginary riding partner, you can call on me (if I can draft ).

Originally Posted by jppe
...(Anybody reading this stuff??? Getting too old???)
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
It just occurred to me that this is the first time I have followed a tour (or long race, e.g. TdF, RAAM) consistently in approximately real time.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So, jppe, I hope you don’t mind us spectators glomming and reminiscing on to your Ride threads…
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Tanlines?
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Nice pics. With our warm PNW days = I wanna see 'tan lines'!
SEE BELOW

Originally Posted by George
Yes, I'm checking in everyday. So far, it looks like your having a great trip. Ride safe.
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
<--- I'm still reading your posts every day. You're doing great on describing each section in details that would probably run all together in your mind and be lost if youdid the whole story at the end.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yup, reading every day and enjoying it immensely.
Originally Posted by dhender02
I'm reading your post EVERYDAY and throughly enjoying it!! I even go back to some of the older posts when I see a new comment posted and/or for reference.Definitely living, errr riding, vicariously through you.

Keep the posts coming!!

Not sure what I'm going to do when you finally make it to Boston, maybe chair the JPPE Withdrawal Anonymous group..
? jppe's junkies

I previously posted to this thread in 2014, “did you track your miles in 2014?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I don't want to hijack this thread, but your story might be an interesting topic for the Touring Forum; how do you do a segmented, presumably connected linear Cross Country Ride?

Or maybe the OP and subscribers of this thread would be interested too, since we all seem to be mileage junkies ("Hi...my name is Jim, and I'm a cycling mileage junkie. It got so bad that I even rode in the Winter...I had to hide it from my co-workers and family...")
"Hi Jim..."

BTW,at this point in the ride, is it becoming less a tour and now a way of life, totally dissociated from everything before? Is this your longest ride? As usual no need to reply, but otherwise welcome; but this is what I’ll ask you in Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image_zpsii1tkipq.jpg (97.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-09-16 at 08:19 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 02:23 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Don't know which way you will be leaving Dubuque, but if you leave via SR 20 into Galena, be very carefull once you leave Galena. That's a truck route and can get very dangerous. If you happen to go through Elizabeth, IL, stop in at eTown Coffee and Cork, have a really good panini and cappuccino and say hello to Liz.
Old 09-09-16, 02:43 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Am enjoying reading of your journey, only thing to comment is as a 50+er listen to your body. It may not be a matter of HTFU.

scott s.
Old 09-09-16, 03:02 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
It's unfortunate that you haven't traveled other routes through northern Illinois, much safer and more scenic alternatives exist. Rt 20 is not usually used by local cyclist in the eastern half of Illinois.
I'm sure you are correct. We were still working at the time and we had a little over 10 weeks to complete the ride. Our goal was to ride US 20 from Newport, Oregon to Boston, MA. If we had more time, there are many things we would have done differently. I don't consider it unfortunate, just a missed opportunity. We enjoyed riding the route we took, and the people we met. Local knowledge almost always trumps that of a touring cyclist passing through an area.

Hopefully, we have a few more touring years left, and it is never too late to see some new places. Northern Illinois might be one of them