Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

1UP Bicycle Rack Question

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

1UP Bicycle Rack Question

Old 08-08-22, 11:48 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Yes, Hitch Bar Lock came with the rack. I ordered the wheel locks as they are on sale. Thanks for the recommendation!
You're welcome.

FYI, there's a chance the wheel locks may come keyed differently from the hitch bar lock -- although 1UP says they cannot accommodate later orders matching key numbers, there's a chance they might do so for you since you bought your rack so recently. Can't hurt to ask nicely.
Old 08-08-22, 01:37 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
You're welcome.

FYI, there's a chance the wheel locks may come keyed differently from the hitch bar lock -- although 1UP says they cannot accommodate later orders matching key numbers, there's a chance they might do so for you since you bought your rack so recently. Can't hurt to ask nicely.
Well, to late.... But, I did order a new hitch pin lock to go with the wheel locks, only around $12. So, they should all be keyed the same.
Likes For themp:
Old 08-18-22, 05:52 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It takes about 1 minute to cut through any chain or lock shackle with an 18v cordless angle grinder with a $4 cut-off wheel. Locks may stop a casual thief but that is all it will do.

I have the 1Up Super Duty double rack and bought it because it was rated high enough for our two 70 lbs e-bikes and is rated for use with an RV. I got it with the 2" receiver as that is what has been on every truck and SUV I have bought over the past 50 years. 1-1/4 inch receivers may be put on a Prius or similar car but that also limits what racks are available as most are designed for use with a 2" receiver.

Two important advantages of the 1UP rack are that it supports the weight of the bike using its wheels and not the bike frame and the platform mount slopes up from the receiver. The inside bike is well above the receiver and the outside or rearmost bike is even further off the ground.

For security I use a bike alarm and a bike cover and a cargo net over the cover. A thief is going to spend more time removing the cargo net and then the bike cover before they can see if the bikes are worth stealing and by then they have most likely set off the alarm.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1