Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Riding with hemorrhoids?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Riding with hemorrhoids?

Old 08-08-22, 02:13 PM
BrenZan

Bikes: Trek DS2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Riding with hemorrhoids?

Didn't know which subforum was most appropriate for this question, but here goes

My mom likes to bike and would bike every day to work if she could - however, she has a pretty bad hemorrhoid problem, and the ride isn't all that short (for a very casual and older cyclist), which aggravates her symptoms. She's been using my sister's bike (cheap Canadian Tire women's mtb), which has a bit of a hard seat which definitely does not help. I've been considering getting her one of those fat and wide comfort seats, but I'm not sure how effective that would be. What seat should I get if I'm to do that?

I was wondering if anyone here has the same problem, and what you guys do to nullify it (aside from cream)? Thanks!
Old 08-08-22, 02:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2185 Post(s)
Liked 3,337 Times in 1,742 Posts
If it were me (or my mom) I would address the problem first and then worry about the bike (i.e., stay off until resolved). Often this is a consequence of poor diet, and lack of fiber in particular. For severe cases, there are surgical approaches.

In general, bicycle saddles that are wide and padded create more problems than they solve.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 08-08-22, 02:26 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9529 Post(s)
Liked 6,269 Times in 3,457 Posts
If it were me, I would not be disclosing that information about my mom in a public forum.
Old 08-08-22, 02:40 PM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
In general, bicycle saddles that are wide and padded create more problems than they solve.
Oh huh, I'm pretty ignorant on this matter - first I'm hearing about it. What's wrong with them?

At any rate yeah there's probably more she could be doing on her end, could bug her about it - she's sworn off surgery, though

Originally Posted by Mojo31
If it were me, I would not be disclosing that information about my mom in a public forum.
It's just hemorrhoids man
Old 08-08-22, 03:00 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Has your Mom gone to a proctologist? I know of one person that found a proctologist that was also a surgeon and had all her problematic hemorrhoid's removed and has had no issues ever since. The first few GI and other doctors she went to had no solution for her and investigated everything but her hemorrhoids. However she finally found a doctor that knew what needed to be done. Took about four years to find him though.
Old 08-08-22, 03:09 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
As with most medical issues that come up on forums all over the internet, probably even medical forums, she should seek a medical professional's care. I am not a medical professional but I can almost guarantee her problem isn't caused by cycling and it won't go away by making amendments to her bike, distance or fit. Fiber, hydration, stool softeners and dietary changes are probably in order. And not to be making a bad joke of it, but this is certainly not one of those things we could tell more by looking at pictures.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 08-08-22, 06:39 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
Been there. Surgery. It's simple and can be done during a colonoscopy. I wish I did it sooner. I feel your mom's pain.
Does she know that we all now know!?!
Old 08-08-22, 07:28 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
I've never found bicycle riding to exacerbate hemorrhoids. Where they are isn't where a butt contacts a 'regular' bicycle saddle. The padded saddles make it worse because they contact almost every part.

I eat more than 3 pounds of fresh vegetables and fruit every day (I'm a vegan), make my own bread, have recently added psyllium seed husks, drink at least 2 liters of water. I walk at least 3 miles every day. Why I have them - it's a mystery. I'm 68.

They're dynamic: something makes them happen. A physician can treat them (never had it done) but if the causes persist they will come back. Hippocrates prescribed hot pokers, encouraged the victim (er - patient) to scream because that will make them more prominent.
Old 08-08-22, 07:36 PM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks all for the replies, will definitely bug her to talk to a professional about it/make the necessary adjustments! If only it were so easy as a seat change LOL

Originally Posted by Pinelander
Been there. Surgery. It's simple and can be done during a colonoscopy. I wish I did it sooner. I feel your mom's pain.
Does she know that we all now know!?!
Any words of comfort from your experience to help persuade her? She's probably worried about pain after the fact
Old 08-08-22, 09:59 PM
MarcusT

Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
They design saddles for people with prostate problems. I would think they are applicable for hemorrhoid sufferers.
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 08-09-22, 10:30 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 122 Posts
Get her a bidet, it calms hemorrhoid's. message me for more info...
Likes For XxHaimBondxX:
Old 08-09-22, 10:38 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,236 Times in 617 Posts
Get them removed. Best thing I ever did.

Old 08-09-22, 10:55 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Been there. Surgery. It's simple and can be done during a colonoscopy.
That obviously depends on the severity, doesn’t it?
Old 08-09-22, 03:03 PM
Pinelander
Roadie

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
I don't profess to be a rectal expert, although I've been known to be an a-hole. You're right about severity. It's something that you should discuss with your doctor. All I can relate is my experience, which was not painful. Done in conjunction with a routine colonoscopy, I didn't really notice much difference immediately afterward. Long term it was a major improvement in quality of life.
Old 08-09-22, 06:07 PM
gringomojado

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
why not?
\gm
Old 08-11-22, 05:43 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
The title says f this thread reminded me of a group with matching jerseys riding the Seattle to Portland classic. The jerseys said, The Hemoriders

Old 08-11-22, 05:57 PM
Charlie Ky
Otis Fan

Bikes: Specialized Roll 2.0

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BrenZan
Didn't know which subforum was most appropriate for this question, but here goes

My mom likes to bike and would bike every day to work if she could - however, she has a pretty bad hemorrhoid problem, and the ride isn't all that short (for a very casual and older cyclist), which aggravates her symptoms. She's been using my sister's bike (cheap Canadian Tire women's mtb), which has a bit of a hard seat which definitely does not help. I've been considering getting her one of those fat and wide comfort seats, but I'm not sure how effective that would be. What seat should I get if I'm to do that?

I was wondering if anyone here has the same problem, and what you guys do to nullify it (aside from cream)? Thanks!

I have the same issue. First I'd recommend she take two or three tablespoons of whole husk psyllium fiber. One teaspoon with water at a time between meals. Also eat foods with soluble fiber. I started doing that after some research and after 3 or 4 days my rhoids calmed down. Before I started getting all that fiber it was a vicious cycle. Not fun.

When I started riding a bike they acted up a bit for the first week but then all was well.

Bottom line, have a surgeon deal with them for you or up your intake of soluble fiber ... for life.

A wide cushioned saddle with a padded saddle cover really helps as well.
Old 08-11-22, 06:13 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 321 Posts
maybe a noseless saddle?
Old 08-11-22, 07:51 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Flip Flop Rider
maybe a noseless saddle?
I don't think the nose of a saddle is the problem ... unless it's mounted backwards.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-13-22, 08:56 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
'Everything You Never Wanted to Know About Hemorrhoids'

A good summary in the NY Times
'everyone is born with hemorrhoidal tissue; blood vessels that line the anus have a useful job: They help us sense what's in the rectum, Dr. Cima said. They're the reason that you can (usually) tell whether the pressure you're feeling down below is gas or diarrhea or a normal bowel movement. Hemorrhoids also help to form a seal within the anus that keeps it closed, kind of like weather stripping on a door, Dr. Cima explained.'

'He highlighted bicycle riding as a particular problem, since it puts lots of pressure on the perineum, the area between the anus and the scrotum or vulva.'

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/w...treatment.html
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 08-13-22, 11:12 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I had a problem hemorrhoid about 20 years ago. It never bothered me with bicycling, but it would pop out with BMs and had to be pushed back in.

Anyway, there are 2 procedures for hemorrhoids. The internal ones are often treated with rubber bands as a simple outpatient procedure, even at some GP offices.

The external ones are removed with surgery under sedation (essentially being out).

I ended up doing surgery. Recovery was quick and not bad. Perhaps a day or two. I was given a pile of pain meds, but I didn't need them.

I'm not quite sure how much surgery they actually did... "cleaned out". I had issues with stools being a little soft for a couple or years before they returned to normal. The skin around the anus is a little tender and does best if washed after BMs.

Nonetheless, I can ride my bike for over 100 miles a day without any hemorrhoid related issues. And no other symptoms.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-14-22, 08:04 PM
BrenZan

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Charlie Ky
I have the same issue. First I'd recommend she take two or three tablespoons of whole husk psyllium fiber. One teaspoon with water at a time between meals. Also eat foods with soluble fiber. I started doing that after some research and after 3 or 4 days my rhoids calmed down. Before I started getting all that fiber it was a vicious cycle. Not fun.

When I started riding a bike they acted up a bit for the first week but then all was well.

Bottom line, have a surgeon deal with them for you or up your intake of soluble fiber ... for life.

A wide cushioned saddle with a padded saddle cover really helps as well.
Weird, most of her diet is vegetables.. though I guess not all vegetables have high amounts of soluble fibre

Will definitely try out another saddle for sure, thanks!

I don't profess to be a rectal expert, although I've been known to be an a-hole. You're right about severity. It's something that you should discuss with your doctor. All I can relate is my experience, which was not painful. Done in conjunction with a routine colonoscopy, I didn't really notice much difference immediately afterward. Long term it was a major improvement in quality of life.
Appreciate your experience, I'll relay that to her
Old 08-16-22, 07:15 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 41 Posts
I once woke up with a searing pain the felt like a pimple on my butthole.
I was scared to poo and when I did, I shed tears.
I was debilitated for a few hours until I sat in the tub.
By evening I was mostly ok, and it was normal by 24 hours.
Was this a hemorrhoid?
Old 08-16-22, 08:47 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
I once woke up with a searing pain the felt like a pimple on my butthole.
I was scared to poo and when I did, I shed tears.
I was debilitated for a few hours until I sat in the tub.
By evening I was mostly ok, and it was normal by 24 hours.
Was this a hemorrhoid?
No, it was likely just the result of pulling too many “facts” and opinions out of yer azz.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-14-22, 07:09 PM
Highcad

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Why not? Did he give out her name?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.