Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Best GPS for rando these days?

Old 05-30-22, 02:21 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts
Best GPS for rando these days?

My Lezyne Mega XL fell off the bike and broke, and now I want something different. It seems like the Bolt v2 and the Garmin Edge 530 are popular options, but I see complaints about bugs for both of them.Then again firmware is constantly being updated and I don't know what the reliability picture is today.

What are people using today? Does anyone here have recommendations? Thanks.
Old 05-30-22, 02:27 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I am happy with my Garmin 1030 and would buy it again.

With careful brightness adjustment and using the extend mode, I used to be able to get thru a 600k w/o a charge on a flatter course. Once I upgraded the FW in order to pair the Garmin Varia radar unit, my battery life is not as great. I generally never upgrade FW when I have a working product, but there was no choice if I wanted the radar protection. I now get only 16-17 hours now vs 25+ before. Coincidence? So, I carry a small lipstick battery on 400k and above.
Old 05-30-22, 04:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
1030 Plus's are on sale in a lot of places for $450 (Garmin is selling it directly at that price). Battery life is 24 hours and you can add the Garmin battery unit to get an add'l 24 hours. Or add a USB stick. Rock solid unit.
Old 05-31-22, 08:51 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
I'm pretty happy with my 830. Small screen though, and the 1030+ might be about the same price if you can find one.

there are a couple of things I don't like about the 830, but I think I need to spend some more time on the settings. On PBP, the function that tells you about nearby riders with garmins was a real headache.
Old 05-31-22, 12:37 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4221 Post(s)
Liked 1,318 Times in 914 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
On PBP, the function that tells you about nearby riders with garmins was a real headache.
???

LiveTrack?

You can turn that off in the Garmin Connect App.

More (lower right) -> Safety & Tracking -> LiveTrack -> three dots on upper right -> Settings -> Group Track -> Off.

Note that LiveTrack requires Garmin Connect Mobile running on a cellphone and internet access.
Old 05-31-22, 12:57 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
My friends are advising me to go 1030+. Functionality, battery life, robustness. That would be my choice if I were buying one now.

I'm doing LEL this fall, and most likely will avoid anything new at this point and stay with my etrex 20x. Old reliable.
Old 05-31-22, 12:59 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 102 Posts
My bolt v1 bit the dust recently and I just decided to get another bolt. Looks like I'll have colour, and some small interface improvements. but no increase in battery life. I like the smaller head units and the ease of setting up the wahoo. I hope I don't get a dud.
Old 06-01-22, 06:49 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

There is a long discussion on the RUSA mailing list about Bolts not working that well for randonneurs after a firmware or hardware update. Not sure why it came up on that particular venue since there is the randonneuring mailing list.

Originally Posted by njkayaker
???
Did I stutter when I said I need to change some settings?
Old 06-01-22, 06:52 AM
njkayaker

Did I stutter when I said I need to change some settings?
It's not helpful to anybody to complain about the device that you just don't know how to use.

It also couldn't have been that much of a headache (three years ago!) since it's easy enough to look up.

And I showed you what the setting were.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-01-22 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-01-22, 07:29 AM
clasher

There is a long discussion on the RUSA mailing list about Bolts not working that well for randonneurs after a firmware or hardware update. Not sure why it came up on that particular venue since there is the randonneuring mailing list.
I think that same thread or a similar one is on the old randon newsgroup, seems like it'd be prudent to split 400+ brevets into "days" for the next while.
Old 06-01-22, 07:41 AM
GhostRider62

There is something backwards inside my garmin 1030.

When I was not fit, it was telling me my VO2 Max was 73 ml/kg

Now that I am fitter, it is saying 52 ml/kg.

Also, when I have a really good workout, it tells me it was unproductive.

Maybe the battery is in backwards or something. Maybe a spider crawled inside.

One thing I don't like is running it with an external battery. It stays backlit and higher screen power.

On a very positive side, it has only crashed once in 3+ years. The Wahoos on the brevet also crashed at the same time. Shockingly, I did not lose the FIT file. On the older 810 garmin, it would sometimes crash on 400K or higher and the file would be gonzo. How long it can run depends, I think, on the number of turns and waypoints. My record on my 810 was just over 1000 miles, from Astoria to a cafe in Wyoming or Montana that had the craziest homemade egg mcmuffin thing with homemade jam. The size of the 1030 is a bit of a putoff.

Oh, I understand the 1040 is coming out very soon. Sound be some good deals.
Old 06-01-22, 11:40 PM
girona
biciclista

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I went with a garmin 1030+ few months ago because of the battery life.
It will easily handle 300K brevet using a HRM and a varia radar.
At the end of a 400K (21h total time) I still had 70% of battery life in energy saving mode (screen turned off until an alert comes up or the screen is tapped). I only had a HRM, no other sensors linked to it.
No experience yet on how it handles longer tracks.
Likes For girona:
Old 06-02-22, 06:01 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by girona
I went with a garmin 1030+ few months ago because of the battery life.
It will easily handle 300K brevet using a HRM and a varia radar.
At the end of a 400K (21h total time) I still had 70% of battery life in energy saving mode (screen turned off until an alert comes up or the screen is tapped). I only had a HRM, no other sensors linked to it.
No experience yet on how it handles longer tracks.
Does the 1030+ have a bigger battery than the regular 1030 or are you using the supplemental battery power pack? Using only 30% of the battery capacity for 21 hours total time is astonishing.

I think I need to experiment so more to restore some of my battery life, it might be too many sensors or courses with too much info on them.
Old 06-02-22, 07:55 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
There is a long discussion on the RUSA mailing list about Bolts not working that well for randonneurs after a firmware or hardware update...
Did anyone figure out how to fix it? I have a bolt v1 that has crashed on two brevets this season after working flawlessly before. The value prop on the wahoos is that they just work, which isn't quite as compelling when they crash in the middle of a long ride and you have to stand on the side of the road for 15 minutes and wait for it to recover the ride.
Old 06-02-22, 08:00 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Does the 1030+ have a bigger battery than the regular 1030 or are you using the supplemental battery power pack? Using only 30% of the battery capacity for 21 hours total time is astonishing.
No, the 1030+ has the same size battery. It's much better than the 1030 on battery life though. He's using "Battery Save Mode" to get 30% for 21 hours. I think the 1030 has the same option (look at the settings menu in the home screen).

I think I need to experiment so more to restore some of my battery life, it might be too many sensors or courses with too much info on them.
No, it's not "courses with too much info". Sensors might use a bit more (but likely not noticeable more). Updating the map screen (if it's displayed) uses more than a data screen.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-02-22 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-02-22, 08:15 AM
GhostRider62

No, the 1030+ has the same size battery. It's much better than the 1030 on battery life though. He's using "Battery Save Mode" to get 30% for 21 hours. I think the 1030 has the same option (look at the settings menu in the home screen).

No, it's not "courses with too much info". Sensors might use a bit more (but likely not noticeable more). Updating the map screen (if it's displayed) uses more than a data screen.
Yes, I use all the tricks to squeeze as much life as possible. I thought doing 22 hours riding time on a 600k using only 80% of the battery was stupendous. I guess I need to learn more.

I disagree with you about course points and turns. When the screen is off and the Garmin is in some sort of rest state when I approach a turn or some sort of warning, the Garmin display will turn on and it will beep several times, both of which take energy. On a 400K recently, there were over 300 turns on the paper cue sheet and many other tidbits of information. Additionally, when cars approach from the rear, the unit will go out of this extended life sleep mode. I never ever use the map screen unless lost. My screen shows speed, power, distance to next turn, HR, gradient, total distance, total time, and temperature.

Aside from updating the FW and adding the Varia radar unit, I also changed GPS satellites to the Russian ones because the Garmin was constantly showing me off course. Once I switched to the Russian ones, I was fine. Maybe the Russian Satellites suck more power from me.
Old 06-02-22, 08:38 AM
njkayaker

Yes, I use all the tricks to squeeze as much life as possible. I thought doing 22 hours riding time on a 600k using only 80% of the battery was stupendous. I guess I need to learn more.
Are you using the "Battery Save Mode"?

If you aren't, then that and the increased efficiency of the 1030+ might explain most of the difference.

I disagree with you about course points and turns. When the screen is off and the Garmin is in some sort of rest state when I approach a turn or some sort of warning, the Garmin display will turn on and it will beep several times, both of which take energy. On a 400K recently, there were over 300 turns on the paper cue sheet and many other tidbits of information.
I thought you were talking about extra information for the same course.

Yes, more turns will use more power. But you can't save power by reducing turns in the course (think about it). Were the "tidbits" on the Garmin or just the paper cue sheet? How many of them were there on the Garmin?

Keep in mind that the issue are things that use significantly more power. I'm not sure if a "few extra" turns is going to be significant.

Additionally, when cars approach from the rear, the unit will go out of this extended life sleep mode. I never ever use the map screen unless lost. My screen shows speed, power, distance to next turn, HR, gradient, total distance, total time, and temperature.
As far as "sensors" go, the Varia seems to be special/extreme case. Power is another special case (it might require more computations to display data).

Maybe the Russian Satellites suck more power from me.
Garmin says GPS (only) uses less power.
​​​​​​​

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-02-22 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-02-22, 11:24 AM
girona
biciclista

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Battery save mode means the screen is turned off until the computer warns you of an upcoming turn or any other warning that you have programmed in the settings (HR warning, power warning, upcoming hazard, etc).
If you have lots of sensors linked to the unit, the battery won't last as long. Also, if you have a Varia and ride in heavy traffic, then the screen will turn on and off more frequently.
Also if you have you get a lot of notifications from your phone such as incoming messages and such. For that 400k ride I kept my phone on airplane mode.
Old 06-19-22, 07:42 PM
MikeIndy

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Trek Madone Disc, S-Works Diverge,Seven Evergreen SL Ti, Trek Fuel EX, Trek SuperCaliber, Farley Fat Bike, Trek Domane

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 9 Posts
I've been pretty happy with the Garmin 830 and 1030. Only real issue I had was the USB charging port and having it need service. I used the 1030 on DK200 2x without issue. This was the only time I ever needed the battery pack and it did fine. Just got the 1040 this week, it looks promising.
Old 06-19-22, 07:54 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
???

LiveTrack?

More (lower right) -> Safety & Tracking -> LiveTrack -> three dots on upper right -> Settings -> Group Track -> Off.

Note that LiveTrack requires Garmin Connect Mobile running on a cellphone and internet access.
There's a function called Group Track, it connects other compatible Garmins on a ride using LiveTrack and tells you where other riders are located. So obviously a cell connection is necessary.
Old 06-20-22, 09:07 AM
clasher

I bought the new colour version of the bolt after the battery on my v1 finally gave up the ghost. It was all setup to my liking in less than 10 minutes. I didn't have any crashes or problems on 2 400km+ rides so far, as some randos on the randon group were reporting, so either wahoo fixed that or it hasn't happened yet to me. Routing on the head unit itself is okay but I don't really use that kind of feature as the routes it generated aren't really where I'd want to ride if I were making my own route, and I'd rather use my phone to do this kind of thing since it's much easier to fix the route to suit my needs, and then I can just send it to head unit. The battery life is kinda weird, doesn't seem to drain at a steady rate but I carry a small lipstick sized battery to charge my phone and gps anyway so I don't really care too much about having 40+ hours of battery life. I got 12-14 hours before I recharged it on the last ride I did.

The only garmin I had no problems with was the old edge 200, that thing never missed a beat for navigation purposes. It didn't do sensors or anything else though so that probably made for a more stable system. The edge 500 I had was a piece of crap so that's when I went with a wahoo. I still hear all my garmin-using friends complaining about navigation "quirks" and being unable to load courses with more than 500 points.
Old 06-20-22, 12:42 PM
girona
biciclista

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by clasher
I bought the new colour version of the bolt after the battery on my v1 finally gave up the ghost. It was all setup to my liking in less than 10 minutes. I didn't have any crashes or problems on 2 400km+ rides so far, as some randos on the randon group were reporting, so either wahoo fixed that or it hasn't happened yet to me. Routing on the head unit itself is okay but I don't really use that kind of feature as the routes it generated aren't really where I'd want to ride if I were making my own route, and I'd rather use my phone to do this kind of thing since it's much easier to fix the route to suit my needs, and then I can just send it to head unit. The battery life is kinda weird, doesn't seem to drain at a steady rate but I carry a small lipstick sized battery to charge my phone and gps anyway so I don't really care too much about having 40+ hours of battery life. I got 12-14 hours before I recharged it on the last ride I did.

The only garmin I had no problems with was the old edge 200, that thing never missed a beat for navigation purposes. It didn't do sensors or anything else though so that probably made for a more stable system. The edge 500 I had was a piece of crap so that's when I went with a wahoo. I still hear all my garmin-using friends complaining about navigation "quirks" and being unable to load courses with more than 500 points.
I've had my fair share of Garmin issues in the past, but the 1030+ has been solid so far. The 500 point limitation is a thing of the past (my eTrex HCx Vista had this limitation, 15 years ago. Also the old forerunner 310xt watch, edges haven't had this limitation for several generations now).
Old 06-21-22, 03:19 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I probably already said this in this thread, but Garmin responded positively to Wahoo having much better devices. So if your garmin experience is defined by something built before the 1030 or 830, it's not a good basis for decision making. I understand it though, there have been many occasions where I swore I would never buy another garmin device because of my 800. And so I was somewhat reluctant to buy my 830. OTOH, about that time some randonneurs I knew were having problems with their wahoo devices and some of them got the runaround from wahoo in ways that I didn't think I would tolerate too well. At the same time, people were reporting good luck on 1200k's with the 830.

Even the 820 era devices weren't that great for distance rides and had some problems people had been complaining about since the 800. I know that long distance really isn't driving a lot of business to them, but I never saw why they would make a device that was likely to crash before it hit 200 miles in a day. Nowadays, long distance has gotten pretty popular for racing, and even if people don't do it themselves, they would find out if some well-known person had a problem with their gps. But an 830 is unlikely to have any problems on a long distance ride.
Old 06-21-22, 06:28 AM
clasher

Garmin doesn't really offer any features I want that justify even the 20$ more the 520 costs here over the bolt. Personally I don't feel like giving them a second chance, they seem to be doing fine without my money I wouldn't pay 150$ more for the 830, not sure what features it has but I don't use any of the fancy features like VO2 estimates nor do I trust an algorithm to tell me how well I'm hydrating or sleeping. If wahoo jumps the shark, there's other people making head units now. Literally I just want my gps to record my ride data and tell me when to turn. I carry a battery for charging my phone so I don't really care if the gps battery only lasts 12-15 hours, I only do a few rides a year that are longer than that.

I've been lucky with wahoo support, they gave me a 50% off code for a new unit back in 2019 when mine was experiencing crashes on long rides. I threw out the box/receipt after the 2 yar warranty but if I hadn't they were gonna give me a new one. My tickr has been solid for a long time, and they were very quick to swap out my kickr when it started making noises, even though it was a refurb. I had a replacement in a week, they shipped it as soon as I dropped off the broken one at UPS.
Old 06-21-22, 03:53 PM
GhostRider62

If you leave the route with a Wahoo and do not have a cell connection, a loaded map on the Garmin might be a worthwhile feature. Not being able to connect a wahoo to a desktop is a big miss for me. The meagre internal storage on the Wahoo is also a miss. For me, the fancy features of each are pretty meaningless although the pop up turn by turn on the Garmin is a winner for me.

My old 810 or 820 (not sure what I had) crashed a few times. I would limit it to 600k. So, one route to Brest and a separate one back to Paris. My record distance before it crashed was almost 1000 miles. It never crashed on a 300k and cannot recall it crashing on a 400k, pretty sure never. The UI was clunky. In short, I like the 1030 much, much better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.