Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Royal Scot 3-speed wheel options?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 05:15 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 51 Posts

apologies in advance for repeating a topic that has almost certainly been covered, but I did spend lots of times searching BF for the info. However, For The Love of English 3-speeds thread has 26K entries alone!

So, was gifted a Royal Scot this week, that I have been admiring for some time, and that I intent to restore. The rear wheel has hub and rim damage. I previously tried truing for a couple of hours and I think it must have been hit pretty hard. It's better (in the sense the tire no longer rubs the frame!) but lots of loose spokes were left in the process. The hub has shifting problems sure, but also a strange (to me) problem with the wheel shifting and rubbing when I sit on the bike. The cones were quite loose, and tightening them (to roughly correct amount) did not solve this. Very weird. I am considering this wheel unsalvageable, at least by me.

I would love to buy a new 26" wheel or wheelset, that had the correct O.L.D.s. It would preferably be a 3-speed, but would consider a single speed. I'm just going to (very occasionally) putt around on this. I've got lots of task-specific bikes that are competing for my riding time.
I've spent a lot of time googling, but haven't found anything, mainly some very expensive hubs, but I am not a wheel builder.

First, what is the correct O.L.D. for this wheelset? I measured 110mm at the rear, iirc, 88(?) at the front (big surprise).
Second, what are my options for buying a wheel(set), that would cost less than the bike is worth? Don't care if the hub is Sturmey-Archer. And btw, I've bought two modern 3-speeds in the last month with SRAM hubs & 700c rims, $80 each. If they were 26" with the correct OLD's, I would cannibalize them just for the wheels. I will also be looking for reasonably priced old 3-speeds with the unlikely combination of good wheels, bad/undesirable frames.

Old 08-09-22, 05:34 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,253 Posts
Scour your local online ads for any Raleigh 3 speed with good wheels. You won't find these wheels new...if you did they would cost a bomb. Old track and BMX hubs are 110mm and 90 mm is the standard front OLD but I'd stick with the Sturmey AW hub. It keeps the bike useful.
Likes For clubman: