Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ed Litton still building?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-22, 09:28 PM
john903
john903

Bikes: Curtlo, CHE cos'e,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts

Hi there. Does anyone know if Ed Litton is still building and what his price range is? I could probably call his shop but I would like some intel on them before I bother him. I do see them pop up on craigslist, maybe I should just wait for one to show up. Anyway just wondering what peoples thoughts are on his bikes.
Thank You.
Old 08-09-22, 10:09 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I don't know the answer, but he is very approachable if you just call. I inquired with him last year when I was interested in maybe having him repaint my Eisentraut.

Funny you mention Craigslist - I was tempted a couple of days ago by a yellow Litton frame with unique geometry that passed through CL for a reasonable price. I waffled, and now the ad is gone, so at least the decision was made for me.
Old 08-09-22, 10:22 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
I know he's still doing repairs and repaints... and he has about a 6-month backlog, and at least one client is very happy.
Yeah, call him.
Old 08-09-22, 10:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
How tall are you?
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik...503801761.html

Ed Litton, Custom Local Bike, Clean & Classic, Dura Ace, 56cm - $895 (mission district)

image 3 of 23

Likes For curbtender:
Old 08-10-22, 08:14 AM
john903
john903

Bikes: Curtlo, CHE cos'e,

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
Thanks for the replys. Yes, I saw the yellow one on CL and it was to short in the TT. I have been watching that green one though. I am up in Washington so I can't really go look at it. I may just contact them anyway though. I actually want just the frame, and fork. Humm, does anyone want the Dura ace group? I think I will also give Ed a call.
Thanks again.
Old 08-10-22, 09:08 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,589 Times in 1,224 Posts
Saw the green Litton at the Fairfax museum swap. Seller has a good eye for quality bikes. At that size I'm surprised it hasn't sold. I see you have a Curtlo. Got a picture of that?
Old 08-10-22, 12:12 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
hmmm, this is a very tepid and tentative reply, but I'm a big fan of Ed's, and would love to maybe help a great bike get to an appreciative owner.
Thing is I really don't need a DA gruppo, and am currently out of town, but I could drop by the seller in the Mission and be a pair of local eyes (later on) with measuring tools if that might help you.
As far as full facilitation,that's a bit dice-y now, but if all else fails (and a proper box can be found) I have packed a fair number of frames and complete bikes and know how it's done.
Old 08-10-22, 12:18 PM
habes78023 

Bikes: Constant rotation, Currently: 2009 Felt FC, 1999 Stumpjumper, Serotta KOM, Eisentraut Rainbowtraut, Trek 400 commuter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by john903
Thanks for the replys. Yes, I saw the yellow one on CL and it was to short in the TT. I have been watching that green one though. I am up in Washington so I can't really go look at it. I may just contact them anyway though. I actually want just the frame, and fork. Humm, does anyone want the Dura ace group? I think I will also give Ed a call.
Thanks again.
Sequim is a tough place to try and source a bike locally. I have seen some nice ones around there which can also be good because there is lower competition compared to a larger metro area, like Seattle.

I'm in Olympia myself, so if you did want to offload the Dura Ace stuff, I could be interested. That bike does look very clean, I'd be tempted myself if it was listed locally here. Pretty surprised it hasn't sold in SF yet.
Old 08-10-22, 12:20 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Ed litton

Old 08-10-22, 12:39 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I know he's still doing repairs and repaints... and he has about a 6-month backlog, and at least one client is very happy.
Yeah, call him.
Here's my experience with Ed: Did good work? Check. Six month backlog? Sounds familiar, maybe even conservative. Happy client? Well, I've had him paint five frames now, so yeah, that's a big ol' check times five.

Not mentioned by DiaboScott: Price. He ain't cheap, but he is quite reasonable for the high quality you get. I think he is a bargain. He's also a very nice, very knowledgeable person - he knows his stuff.

Go ahead and call Ed. He is unlikely to check or respond to e-mail, so call instead. But he does answer the phone or return calls if he can't answer, and he is easy to talk with. He is straightforward and will not BS you. If he can't do something, he'll say so. If he says he can do something, he can do it. Take his time estimates with a grain of salt, but know that the work will be first-rate and the price will ne fair.