Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

This Cannondale Criterium Series Is Killing Me

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

This Cannondale Criterium Series Is Killing Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-14, 03:54 AM
SoreFeet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
I love em too...The aluminum frames are stiff and don't flex like noodles. Sure I like a steel frame, but the old Cannondales just seem to have some snap that other old frames dont. Even the MTB bikes...they just don't flex and kinetic energy makes em really go.

I like the vintage frames with steel forks It's good synergy. Also the American made Cannondale tubing is very nice to ride...Happy fourth ride a vintage American Cannondale.
Old 06-29-14, 06:17 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh

I hadn't noticed that you are running the lower spoke count of Nashbar's Vuelta wheels until now (mine are the HD version and have 36 spokes per wheel). Your version pop up a few times per year at just over $100, how do you like them? The reason I ask is I'm down 75lbs and pushing hard for a total 100 to reach 200lbs and curious if they will hold up under my new lighter "heft."

My heavy duty Vuelta wheels have been great. Due to a chain jump and deep cuts in 6 of the spokes I took the rear to my LBS recently. The mechanic (who has built several set of wheels for me) was very impressed.
They are handling my 175/180 quite well. With the move to cassette it shaved 2.5Lbs off the bike. They are true, light and fast. When the bike is on the stand you can flick the front wheel and it will spin forever. The bladed spokes give a sweet whirring sound. I really like them.
Old 06-29-14, 07:24 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
OldsCOOL, Good mug shot! With eleven hour grand child babysitting days drawing to an end and only one fairly quick repair to perform on my motorcycle, the '86/'88 SR is finally near the top of the to-do queue.

Bob, My Open Pro CD/28H/D-A wheel set on my '89 held up when I was a heavier and stronger 200-220 lb. rider and I feel they're not nearly as tolerant of heavy riders as the Vueltas.

Brad
Old 06-29-14, 09:58 AM
neo_pop_71

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I think internet parrots have perpetrated the myth that if it says Alu it will be harsh. My criterium series is only harsh if riding on broken, fragmented asphalt and chip seal.
I enjoy that snappy handling with super quick responsive acceleration. The light wheels/tires add to this feel. And fit....the frame is a perfect fit to my body type and riding style.
Hey OldsCOOL,

Always a treat seeing your black beauty, your C'dale came out awesome!

I'm right there with you regarding the internet parrots and the harshness associated with aluminum, always plenty of "noise" to be heard but very little praise. I started out racing on a used C'dale Crit bike until I had the money to buy my '89 Schwinn 974. I was the only rider on my college team that had a crit specific frame, it really came in handy on some of the tighter races. I'd probably still have it had it not been mangled in a large pack pile up. I still have my 974, Schwinn's top race bike that was licensed from Gary Klein with oversized aluminum (not as OS as C'dale) and "Klein welds" and it's outlasted half a dozen other road bikes that have gone away. I was noticing that my frame specs are fairly similar, must be why I love the same snappiness and acceleration you described.

23" frame geometry:
head tube - 73 degrees
seat tube - 74 degrees
wheelbase - 39.4" (1000mm)

My baby was stolen by a tweaking meth addict for a few hours, I recovered it but not before he stripped off most of the stock parts and began spray painting the beautiful Ice Blue frame. After knocking his head off I gave the bike a full custom make over like you did and rebuilt it with Dura Ace 8 speed. I love it! I can't imagine ever getting rid of the bike... way too much history!
(The full bike recovery story is over on Velospace or you can search "Meth People" and it'll pop up.)

Here is a face to put with the threads about the bike. This was taken on the halfway of a 70mi ride. In the background is Little Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan and just outside of Petoskey.

Right on brother! Great photo of the proud owner of an incredibly "harsh" beautiful bike! I'm not down to my ideal riding weight as of yet... so you only get an action shot of the new riding shoes that my little angel customized for her aging punker dad. The Misfits laces are a nice touch, way better than a silly neck tie!!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
MethPeopleAlter.jpg (104.0 KB, 449 views)
MethPeopleSkull.jpg (101.9 KB, 449 views)
TightSeatYoke.JPG (58.1 KB, 442 views)
tirefeelers.JPG (82.7 KB, 445 views)
MethPeople_decal.jpg (83.8 KB, 447 views)
new_MISFITS_laces.jpg (98.2 KB, 449 views)
Old 06-29-14, 04:27 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Originally Posted by neo_pop_71
Hey OldsCOOL,

Always a treat seeing your black beauty, your C'dale came out awesome!

I'm right there with you regarding the internet parrots and the harshness associated with aluminum, always plenty of "noise" to be heard but very little praise. I started out racing on a used C'dale Crit bike until I had the money to buy my '89 Schwinn 974. I was the only rider on my college team that had a crit specific frame, it really came in handy on some of the tighter races. I'd probably still have it had it not been mangled in a large pack pile up. I still have my 974, Schwinn's top race bike that was licensed from Gary Klein with oversized aluminum (not as OS as C'dale) and "Klein welds" and it's outlasted half a dozen other road bikes that have gone away. I was noticing that my frame specs are fairly similar, must be why I love the same snappiness and acceleration you described.

23" frame geometry:
head tube - 73 degrees
seat tube - 74 degrees
wheelbase - 39.4" (1000mm)

My baby was stolen by a tweaking meth addict for a few hours, I recovered it but not before he stripped off most of the stock parts and began spray painting the beautiful Ice Blue frame. After knocking his head off I gave the bike a full custom make over like you did and rebuilt it with Dura Ace 8 speed. I love it! I can't imagine ever getting rid of the bike... way too much history!
(The full bike recovery story is over on Velospace or you can search "Meth People" and it'll pop up.)

Right on brother! Great photo of the proud owner of an incredibly "harsh" beautiful bike! I'm not down to my ideal riding weight as of yet... so you only get an action shot of the new riding shoes that my little angel customized for her aging punker dad. The Misfits laces are a nice touch, way better than a silly neck tie!!!

That 974 does have similar geometry. Love the paint and logo
Old 06-30-14, 04:43 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
You inspired me to try a selfie with my '93 R600 in the background. Mine is pathetic! I only tried twice since a 1000 mosquitoes were circling in for my blood. Here it is for good laughs.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 06-30-14, 05:22 AM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Not a bad pic of the bike, but who's that skinny guy in the blue helmet?
Old 06-30-14, 06:48 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
That's fantastic news OldsCOOL! You had me going after reading your headline, I feared the worst and after all your hard work too, I was expecting you to have listed the Crit bike in the for sale section. I started out on a white Crit frame, it medium blue decals with matching blue painted Nitto stem and 105 components, I loved the bike! Almost immediately after getting the bike I began hearing from other riders how awful the bike was and questions about when was I getting rid of it. That continued for a couple years until I bought my Schwinn 974, a bike that was even more stiff and supposedly "unforgiving" but turned out to be more of a rocket than the C'dale! Nobody I knew back then that rode a 974 was ever wishy-washy about the ride, it was purely a love/hate experience. I loved it then and still do to this, so many other new road bikes have come and gone but the 974 always makes the cut.

Yes, I'm sentimental but that bike has carried me on so many adventures, it even had an adventure of it's own when it was stolen by a meth addict for a few hours before I recovered it... I guess when you have a good pal, it doesn't matter much what the crowd has to say!

OldsCOOL, you should post some photos your Cannondale, some people might not have seen your rebuild thread.

Congrats and great job!

-D-

p.s. Here are a couple of my 974, repainted and restored after the scumbag stole it, maybe one day I'll be rattling my dentures on it!

they only had it for a few hours and you had to repaint it when you got it back?? more details please.. i love recovery stories!! i hope you had to wash the blood of the meth head off the frame
Old 06-30-14, 07:38 AM
OldsCOOL

You inspired me to try a selfie with my '93 R600 in the background. Mine is pathetic! I only tried twice since a 1000 mosquitoes were circling in for my blood. Here it is for good laughs.

Lookin' good! Strange seeing a Cdale speedster in the jungles.

Congrats on your weight loss regimen!
Old 06-30-14, 09:50 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Lookin' good! Strange seeing a Cdale speedster in the jungles.

Congrats on your weight loss regimen!
Thanks!

Ferns: The Unofficial State Weed of New Hampshire.

This was taken in my yard and the ferns are 100% natural. I didn't plant or transplant a single one. Each year more and more emerge on their own. I have at least 6 different varieties growing--- one of which stay green under the snow all winter and then stand back up after the spring melt.

Old 06-30-14, 10:53 AM
OldsCOOL

Thanks!

Ferns: The Unofficial State Weed of New Hampshire.

This was taken in my yard and the ferns are 100% natural. I didn't plant or transplant a single one. Each year more and more emerge on their own. I have at least 6 different varieties growing--- one of which stay green under the snow all winter and then stand back up after the spring melt.
Ferns are stubborn. They grow up through our MUP asphalt. It has inspired me to use that illustration in a message, "a seed planted must grow".
Old 06-30-14, 03:00 PM
neo_pop_71

My crit has an alu fork and I dont find the ride any more harsh than the 85 Trek 460 road racer with True Temper1 frame. I think internet parrots have perpetrated the myth that if it says Alu it will be harsh. My criterium series is only harsh if riding on broken, fragmented asphalt and chip seal. I have asphalt in decent shape here in my area so that isnt a problem.

I enjoy that snappy handling with super quick responsive acceleration. The light wheels/tires add to this feel. And fit....the frame is a perfect fit to my body type and riding style.
Here is a face to put with the threads about the bike. This was taken on the halfway of a 70mi ride. In the background is Little Traverse Bay of Lake Michigan and just outside of Petoskey.

Aw man Pastor Bob, that's not a bad one at all, you should be proud of that selfie given your self improvement success!

A fun part of your posting that I enjoyed is what's not in the photo... 1,000 little cartoon mosquitoes circling above and picturing you as a giant blood drop wearing a blue helmet. I can't help it, I used to illustrate comic books, it's how my twisted mind works!

Thanks for sharing!

-D-
Old 06-30-14, 06:40 PM
OldsCOOL

I can't help it, I used to illustrate comic books, it's how my twisted mind works!
Now that explains the artwork and logo on your 974!
Old 06-30-14, 06:53 PM
neo_pop_71

Originally Posted by GordoTrek
they only had it for a few hours and you had to repaint it when you got it back?? more details please.. i love recovery stories!! i hope you had to wash the blood of the meth head off the frame
Hey GordoTrek,

I had no choice but to repaint the bike and replace the parts, the idiot sprayed gray primer all over the frame, he did remove the parts so the components had overspray all over them. He had begun to put a black top coat on the frame and stopped to remove some of the parts, he must have found a set of allen wrenches. It was at that point when I busted in on him, part way into painting with half the parts removed. Yes, some blood was spilled, the closest thing to me was an old rusty pipe wrench. I'll leave it at that, you can read the specific if you follow this link...

* METH PEOPLE * Custom Theft Recovery * on velospace, the place for bikes

If you love a recovery story, this one has various counts of assault with kidnapping tossed in for good measure... I had that bike for 20 years when it was taken in 2009, it was my first new top dollar bike that I bought with my own money when I was 18, nothing short of a recovery was going to do!

Last edited by neo_pop_71; 06-30-14 at 06:58 PM. Reason: fixed the link
Old 07-01-14, 05:08 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Aw man Pastor Bob, that's not a bad one at all, you should be proud of that selfie given your self improvement success!

A fun part of your posting that I enjoyed is what's not in the photo... 1,000 little cartoon mosquitoes circling above and picturing you as a giant blood drop wearing a blue helmet. I can't help it, I used to illustrate comic books, it's how my twisted mind works!

Thanks for sharing!

-D-
Awww thanks! I'm a bit embarrassed but after last night's ride on Sporty, my '72 Schwinn Super Sport, I weighed myself, and I need to do a bit of self back patting. I officially crossed the threshold from "Medically Obese" into the "Overweight" categorization!

I'm not certain when I was last in this range on a doctor's chart, but in keeping with the C-Dale theme, it was several years before this '93 was born.

Back on Topic:

I logged quite a few miles on the R600 in June and it is by far the lightest bike in my fleet. This fact, along with my drop in BMI, my physical conditioning improving, and (I'm guessing now) the stiffness of the frame, has made this bike a real joy to fly! Up and down hills this baby rocks, and for me, I feel like I'm rocking it! Which is saying something considering my nearly 6 decade old body!

In contrast, yesterday's ride on Sporty felt like a slug (sic) fest. Even on descents I felt so much slower. It was weird because I've never noticed such a difference before. Sporty might look really nice, but for some reason I'm digging the ride on the R600 so much more.

Last edited by pastorbobnlnh; 07-01-14 at 05:20 AM.
Old 07-01-14, 06:17 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hey GordoTrek,

I had no choice but to repaint the bike and replace the parts, the idiot sprayed gray primer all over the frame, he did remove the parts so the components had overspray all over them. He had begun to put a black top coat on the frame and stopped to remove some of the parts, he must have found a set of allen wrenches. It was at that point when I busted in on him, part way into painting with half the parts removed. Yes, some blood was spilled, the closest thing to me was an old rusty pipe wrench. I'll leave it at that, you can read the specific if you follow this link...

If you love a recovery story, this one has various counts of assault with kidnapping tossed in for good measure... I had that bike for 20 years when it was taken in 2009, it was my first new top dollar bike that I bought with my own money when I was 18, nothing short of a recovery was going to do!

love it.. good for you.. its hard not to resort to violence when somebody ganks your ride... did those scumbags a favor
Old 07-01-14, 07:41 AM
OldsCOOL

Hey GordoTrek,

Pretty crazy story!
Old 07-01-14, 09:53 AM
Stradguy93

Bikes: Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo , Alan Record, Giant OCR 1.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't have a selfe to go with it but I love my 88 Black Lightning, got up to 44.3mph according to the Cateye yesterday and it felt solid as a rock. Saw it on Craigslist and a couple hours later it was on my test stand getting a makeover. Oppps The Cannondale comes in and the AlaN goes out.

Old 07-02-14, 02:25 PM
OldsCOOL

Originally Posted by Stradguy93
I don't have a selfe to go with it but I love my 88 Black Lightning, got up to 44.3mph according to the Cateye yesterday and it felt solid as a rock. Saw it on Craigslist and a couple hours later it was on my test stand getting a makeover. Oppps The Cannondale comes in and the AlaN goes out.

Nice BL! Hope you got a decent deal on it. I'd searched for one locally and on Ebay but they were too high priced for me. I ended up finding a criterium series frame and doing my own Black Lightning with equippo improvements. Love these bikes!
Old 07-02-14, 02:39 PM
t.braxt

Bikes: Cannondale SR600 and Schwinn Varsity 1200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a rather interesting bar tape. I like it.
Old 07-02-14, 02:56 PM
Stradguy93

Bikes: Wilier Triestina Gran Turismo , Alan Record, Giant OCR 1.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ended up getting a great deal on it, had been in a garage since the early 90's and was built up with some nice components, especially the wheels. I love this bar tape, saw it online and thought it would be perfect for the BL. Cinelli caleido black three layer tape.
Old 07-16-14, 11:32 AM
ThirdCog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So to be redundant and annoying, you guys running the 130s in the 126 spacing...everything going well? I've got a potential back up wheelset with spacer and cassette set up that I can throw on the BL for balancing some rougher milage out there. ALuminum frames/stressing and all that, I know...4mm, though...oldsCOOL, you're burning up the miles, must be ok, no? PastorBob too...
Old 07-16-14, 01:51 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
No problemo, works just fine. Install and forget it.
Old 07-16-14, 06:32 PM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirdCog
So to be redundant and annoying, you guys running the 130s in the 126 spacing...everything going well? I've got a potential back up wheelset with spacer and cassette set up that I can throw on the BL for balancing some rougher milage out there. ALuminum frames/stressing and all that, I know...4mm, though...oldsCOOL, you're burning up the miles, must be ok, no? PastorBob too...
I've had a 130 mm OLD hub, actually different ones, in my '89 since the mid '90s without a problem. As long as there isn't a pre existing issue, you're golden. If the stays don't spread evenly and the 130 mm OLD wheel isn't centered, there could be a pre existing problem. Double check the wheel's dish also by reversing the wheel if not centered.

Brad
Old 07-16-14, 07:22 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Originally Posted by ThirdCog
Unfortunately I haven't been I a bike in nearly 2 weeks. Been celebrating my daughter's wedding. Next week back on the saddle!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.