Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

The Next Great Hope

Old 04-25-14, 01:30 PM
Trackliche

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Next Great Hope

Let's get some updates. Who are the next generation of American sprinters? What's happened to the last crew?

Here's what I know:

- Jimmy Watkins retired (but who doesn't love this guy's story?)
- Kevin Masker "blew up his knee and sold all his stuff". Any details here?
- Michael Blatchford was making a comeback in '12, but I heard he got selected for the first manned mission to Saturn and has been undergoing some rigorous testing in a remote government facility on the dark side of the moon. Anyone heard different?
- Giddeon Massie is, please forgive me, past his prime.
- Matt Baronowski is still in the game, but I sense he's pretty much reached his highest attainable level. I would love to be wrong.
- TrackCliche is on his way up, and once he improves his F200 by around 20% will be in contention at the World Cup level
- Lakatosh? I get the impression he's a good T-town rider, but not really World caliber.

Let's stay away from the usual blame game to be played with USAC's lack of development, the likelihood that "sprinter-types" will go to the NFL, yadda yadda. And yes, we've got good enduro women.
Where are our Nothsteins, Gorskis, Vailses, Hartwells, and Carpenters? Who's next?

-TC
Old 04-25-14, 03:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
I think Baranoski (the youngest on the the list) is still rising. He obtained world-level experience at a young age. I think he will become stronger as he enters his mid-20s. He's got a great support system in place and he's got a great, world-class (and UCI-Sanctioned) racing scene in his back yard where world-level racers come to race in the summer.

He's young enough to be able to live on the little money that is in track racing. As far as I know (and it's not my business), he doesn't have the financial and time responsibilities such as house payments, wife, kids, etc... that older athletes tend to have.

Last edited by carleton; 04-25-14 at 03:38 PM.
Old 04-25-14, 03:39 PM
carleton
Elitist

Where are our Nothsteins, Gorskis, Vailses, Hartwells, and Carpenters? Who's next?
Didn't they get paid a living wage to race?
Old 04-25-14, 03:45 PM
Trackliche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I think Baranoski (the youngest on the the list) is still rising. He obtained world-level experience at a young age. I think he will become stronger as he enters his mid-20s. He's got a great support system in place and he's got a great, world-class (and UCI-Sanctioned) racing scene in his back yard where world-level racers come to race in the summer.

He's young enough to be able to live on the little money that is in track racing. As far as I know (and it's not my business), he doesn't have the financial and time responsibilities such as house payments, wife, kids, etc... that older athletes tend to have.
I didn't realize he is so young. Digging around a bit, I found that he's only 21! I was under the impression he was already well into his mid-20s. Looks like there's an excellent candidate.

-TC
Old 04-25-14, 04:14 PM
jmikami

Bikes: Veloforma for my primary.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackliche
I didn't realize he is so young. Digging around a bit, I found that he's only 21! I was under the impression he was already well into his mid-20s. Looks like there's an excellent candidate.

-TC
He is the top US rider and future hope for sure, I see him in Rio with an actual shot at a medal, outside shot, but look what Jimmy did. My hope is that Conor Klupar can join him in a year or two.
Old 04-25-14, 05:36 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Trackliche
- Kevin Masker "blew up his knee and sold all his stuff". Any details here?
I'm responsible for this one... so...

The knee thing is through the grapevine. Here's his retirement email to our list:

Attached Images
File Type: png
mansker retire.png (45.5 KB, 124 views)
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 04-25-14, 06:53 PM
jmikami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So in addition to the above, Danny Robertson could surprise this year along with Kaleb Koch, after that I would go back to a comeback from Mansker for the next domestic spot. However I think at this time Matt is the only one with a serious chance to do damage in the near term, just pretty thin at the top right now.

I think a bigger question is who is the up coming enduros. We seem even weaker on the Men's enduro side than we do the sprint side. A little bit of cash could get a sprint team ready for 2016, I don't think that is the case for an enduro team. Bobby and Zack are both over 30, Durham and Donoghue are both around the same. Bobby is the only one even close to international times and he is not even a top 10 guy. I have rode against Zack and he is very strong and fast, but not young or at that top level yet - but I would love to see him try. Anyone know of any young an upcoming Enduros? The team specialized juniors are the only ones that seem on the right track to me.
Old 04-26-14, 09:10 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Conor Klupar is pretty darn quick, and he went to Marian U this last fall- so he's got access to high level coaching and general support.
His family is super supportive of him, and he's got a ton of local support here in the Seattle area from various folks (sorta like Tela Crane has had)

Will he get to "world level" fast? Dunno, but he certainly has talent, genetics, and support.

Enduro-wise? yeah- there's pretty well no-one coming through that seems to want the track path and has enough talent to go to WC level. At collegiate nats last year there were fast guys, but no one that was obviously "next-level" in terms of mental+physical fitness.
Baranoski clearly was head-and-shoulders above the field, but he was the only super-standout of the whole event.

As an aside- as there anyone coming over from the BMX scene that we should hear about? I've got no connections over there, but it produces tons of REALLY fast people.
Old 04-26-14, 12:15 PM
carleton
Elitist

Roadies would come off of the road and join the track as Enduros if there were some incentive.

Right now, there is no incentive for a racer to travel and fight in NTC or National Championship events other than the title and jersey.

If there were a system in place where if a racer won NTC or Nationals he/she would have earned:
- A place on the US National Team
- US National Team coaching and training camps
- Free gear, travel, hotels from associated sponsors (Nothing out of USA Cycling's pocket)
- Some amount of funding and support.
- The right to be sent to Pan-Am and/or World Cup races, with the associated chances for World Championships and Olympics
- Some sort of stipend.
- Health insurance.
- Etc...

That would get a lot of "just out of the real money" roadies on to the track to get the great experiences and see the world. Heck, it would even get the "in the money" roadies in the game. Remember how the Pro NBA players joined "The Dream Team" in order to win Olympic Gold? Maybe something like that could happen.

Ever see a road pro drop in to a local/regional track race? It's nuts.

Oh, and the same program for sprinters

Last edited by carleton; 04-26-14 at 12:21 PM.
Old 04-26-14, 12:39 PM
Pole Line Stand

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
David Espinosa may be someone to watch this summer. I saw him punch out some 10.7's in not exactly ideal conditions this spring.
Old 04-26-14, 01:45 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Pole Line Stand
David Espinosa may be someone to watch this summer. I saw him punch out some 10.7's in not exactly ideal conditions this spring.
10.7 in the spring is very encouraging!

He's another young racer with world-level experience and a great support system. I'm glad to see him back!
Old 04-26-14, 05:05 PM
Zero Talent

Bikes: Specialized Langster and Cannondale CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be the next enduro
3:45 3000m at encino. Age 16

The next sprinter I would say is 17 year old Dominic Suozzi, he is really coming on and trains with the pros mentioned above.
Old 04-26-14, 07:02 PM
jmikami

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zero Talent
I'll be the next enduro
3:45 3000m at encino. Age 16

The next sprinter I would say is 17 year old Dominic Suozzi, he is really coming on and trains with the pros mentioned above.
I have heard Missy say nice things about Dominic, that makes 3 up coming decent sprinters to challenge Matt ... and your 3:45 is nice. Find a good coach who can donate some time to a junior to keep you going to the next level. At your age there is nothing better than good workout companions/coach to keep you away from bad habits.
Old 04-28-14, 07:33 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by jmikami
I think a bigger question is who is the up coming enduros. We seem even weaker on the Men's enduro side than we do the sprint side. A little bit of cash could get a sprint team ready for 2016, I don't think that is the case for an enduro team. Bobby and Zack are both over 30, Durham and Donoghue are both around the same. Bobby is the only one even close to international times and he is not even a top 10 guy. I have rode against Zack and he is very strong and fast, but not young or at that top level yet - but I would love to see him try. Anyone know of any young an upcoming Enduros? The team specialized juniors are the only ones that seem on the right track to me.
Jake Duehring's got some chops - went to three World Cups and the World Champs this year. He's 'only' 29 and seems to be hitting his stride. I don't know if we'll see him medaling, but he's rubbing elbows up there.