Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help in ID: Colnago or Fauxnago?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-15-20, 08:27 PM
NormanB

Bikes: single speed bridgestone bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

hi i need help in id or knowing if the bike is colnago or in any way linked to colnago or what bike is it The clover stamp can only be found on the lugs on the headtube going to the downtube. Nowhere else. There is a clover cutout on the bb shell but it also has tiny dots or holes forming a triangle maybe as the stem of the clover cutout? I cant upload any image since im still a new member. Sorry.

Id appreciate any insigjt ir help please, thank you
Old 08-16-20, 06:46 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
You will need 10 posts to enable posting of pictures. It looks like you only need 6 more so you are on the way. I'd like to see the pictures.
Old 08-17-20, 04:21 AM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
maybe this will do it
ibb.co/ZHC2LHS
ibb.co/HrcVCv9
ibb.co/jLkg0c0
ibb.co/NN1KsGM
ibb.co/hY6qxpG
ibb.co/x5FKzRn
Old 08-17-20, 08:41 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Here are your images...

...yes, those image links work. It does not look like any Colnago I've ever seen from the 70's or 80's. The fork crown looks like what shows up on a lot of French bikes. Otherwise, I can't help much.

Old 08-17-20, 09:01 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Not a Colnago.
I owned a bike with an inverse "clover" not that brand either.

On the bottom bracket cups will be most often a thread type stamp. Report that and the seat post size if can be found.
Fork looks earlier, then drilled to accept the recessed nut.
Always a chance the fork and the frame were mated long after the two were built.
Old 08-17-20, 03:25 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1629 Post(s)
Liked 814 Times in 527 Posts
Fauxnago for sure!
The "clover" under the BB looks to have been done by some guy named Duffus Schmaltz.........in a van.....by the river.......next to the highschool........
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)
Old 08-18-20, 07:07 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Nope, not a Colnago. Clues to identity may be hinted at by stampings on dropouts and BB shell dimensions and threadings. Seat post diameter may help, too.

Good luck.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 08-21-20, 06:57 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi1
Fauxnago for sure!
The "clover" under the BB looks to have been done by some guy named Duffus Schmaltz.........in a van.....by the river.......next to the highschool........
LOL! i knew it from the start, im looking for clues what this frame could be. Anyway thank you so much
Old 08-21-20, 06:59 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
Not a Colnago.
I owned a bike with an inverse "clover" not that brand either.

On the bottom bracket cups will be most often a thread type stamp. Report that and the seat post size if can be found.
Fork looks earlier, then drilled to accept the recessed nut.
Always a chance the fork and the frame were mated long after the two were built.
Any chance you might know some similar bikes? or any direction as to the id of the frame?at least I know its not in any way related to colnago neither ron cooper who uses card suites in his frames.
Old 08-21-20, 10:36 PM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
there has been some lug thinning, i can't tell if it's haphazard or consistent, probably due to the mess of paint. I particularly can't figure out what was done on the lower head tube lug. Maybe a frame-building class bike. Better photo of that lug cut out might help;
Old 08-22-20, 09:03 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
there has been some lug thinning, i can't tell if it's haphazard or consistent, probably due to the mess of paint. I particularly can't figure out what was done on the lower head tube lug. Maybe a frame-building class bike. Better photo of that lug cut out might help;

Seems like the tail of the clover is atrached to the clover

This bb shell is the biggest mystery to me
Here are some more pics 😊
Likes For NormanB:
Old 08-23-20, 05:39 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Thoughts on your frame.

Originally Posted by NormanB

Seems like the tail of the clover is atrached to the clover

This bb shell is the biggest mystery to me
Here are some more pics 😊
Norman, I just noticed that you are in Manila. (I can be somewhat slow at times.) Mostly locations don't affect things much. This time, I am going to venture it does. I said before I thought it looked possibly like "student" work. Now I'm going to guess, local enthusiast. Bet almost anything. The small size of the frame forces the head lugs to intersect. I have read professional frame builders, noting how difficult it is to make that conjunction smoothly, there are so many factors at play. The Philippines in general, and Manila specifically, has a very active and inventive welding industry, from Jeepneys to commercial and domestic custom fabrication, there is an abundance of skilled artisans who work with metal. I think this frame was the work of one such.
It would explain the bottom bracket, and lug details. The builder was referencing a Colnago, not trying to truly make a "fake". I hope you are not disappointed, by my guess, I think you have something pretty unique on your hands. There may even be a way to trace it back to the builder. Take a look at my recent track bike thread regarding who may have built it. Someone may remember the guy who loved bikes.
Best regards, Eric
Old 08-23-20, 12:39 PM
furthernorth

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fauxnago for sure
Old 08-23-20, 07:47 PM
NormanB

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Last ride 76
Norman, I just noticed that you are in Manila. (I can be somewhat slow at times.) Mostly locations don't affect things much. This time, I am going to venture it does. I said before I thought it looked possibly like "student" work. Now I'm going to guess, local enthusiast. Bet almost anything. The small size of the frame forces the head lugs to intersect. I have read professional frame builders, noting how difficult it is to make that conjunction smoothly, there are so many factors at play. The Philippines in general, and Manila specifically, has a very active and inventive welding industry, from Jeepneys to commercial and domestic custom fabrication, there is an abundance of skilled artisans who work with metal. I think this frame was the work of one such.
It would explain the bottom bracket, and lug details. The builder was referencing a Colnago, not trying to truly make a "fake". I hope you are not disappointed, by my guess, I think you have something pretty unique on your hands. There may even be a way to trace it back to the builder. Take a look at my recent track bike thread regarding who may have built it. Someone may remember the guy who loved bikes.
Best regards, Eric
Not dissappointed at all 😊 thats the closest direction i have. Its nice to hear someone knows our local industry and shares my hunch. Your right with the artisan builders. We have a lot like ave maldea, pusaworks, etc. who started as jeepneys welders in their younger years and now has thriving handmade bike fab businesses and continuously being patronized by young bike enthusiasts.. and very affordable. I guess ill keep this one as is, who knows in the future someone might recognize it, i still have space to spare for this one 😅. Thanks for all the insights and help. Stay safe.
Likes For NormanB: