Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Renovating and upgrading a Dutch longtail

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 06-13-21, 01:16 PM
Youri

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
This is the first bicycle of which I'll restore the frame and upgrade the parts.
The person I bought it from is was at least the second owner. The bicycle was equipped with a child carrier, which I let him keep. The bicycle came with old but sturdy Basil bags, a Dutch brand, which I gladly took home. The bicycle isn't in a good condition, I'd say rideable. This did match it's price.

The bicycle is branded as Huka, a Dutch company which is still in business but no longer produces similar bicycles. Unfortunately they had no information available regarding the original specifications.

The idea is to blast the frame, add some parts by welding, and to spray it. There's quite a bit of rust and flaked off paint. On the first day I thought to keep the gears, but I've changed my mind after the first week. I'm riding it in the first gear, even without a load I can't manage to ride around in second. First thing I thought of is that it relates to the ratio of the sprockets. It could be worth to give the hub a maintenance, but the spokes and the rim are also in an unsatisfying condition. I've got my mind set on the Shimano Nexus 7 speed with rollerbrakes, which will require a a couple of adjustments on the bicycle. See lower in this post.

My findings:
Steel frame
Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub
Rim diameter 590mm
350x35 tires (26x1 3/8")
Front sprocket 46 teeth
Rear sprocket 18 teeth
Distance between sprockets 765mm
Front fork spacing 99mm
Rear fork spacing 127mm, horizontal dropouts
Distance between wheel axles 1400mm

The Shimano Nexus 7 story
Because it's the first time I'm installing anything on a bicycle I would appreciate any input related to the things which I need to purchase.
1. A 590mm wheel equipped with a Nexus 7 hub suitable for rollerbrakes and sprocket.
2. Nexus 7 requires O.L.D. 130mm, this bicycle has 127mm available, which I could bend to reach the additional space.
3. A 7-speed Shimano shifter with gear cable and gear wire which will reach the hub.Rubber bellows, outer casing holder and rubber cover are also required.
4. An assembly set for the hub: the spacers, nuts, driver cap, cassette joint and cassette joint fixing ring
5. Inner cable fixing bolt
6. A new crankset with sprockets matching the required ratio for nexus 7 (still looking for information)
7. A new chain
8. Nexus Inter front and rear rollerbrakes. These are the BR-C3000-F and BR-C3000-R, however, a dealer mentioned that the BR-6000 version, aimed at the 8-speed also fits. The rear rollerbrake should include the piece to connect to the frame.
9. A 590mm front wheel equipped with Shimano rollerbrakes
10. Inner cable fixing bolt x2

Other things on the list:
A steering wheel which offers me an upright riding position
A saddle
brake levers
make or buy panniers which optimize the full length of the back
make a removable system to increase the rack dimensions

Update 16/06/2021
Nexus 7 equipped wheels are very scarce at the moment, I didn't manage to find a seller.

Taking both Bill Kapaun's comment and my initial thought on sprocket ratio I took some time to look at the specifications of the Sturmey Archer 3-speed hub.
The gear ratios are indicated as follows:
1st gear: 75%
2nd gear: 100%
3rd gear: 133%

I learned that for my situation it means the following:
2nd gear 100% means that the sprocket ratio of 2.55 (46t:18t) is what's being used by the hub.
In both first and third gear this ratio changes:
1st gear 75%: Ratio = 2.55*0.75 = 1.9
3rd gear 133%: Ratio = 2.55*1.33 = 3.4

As I mentioned I'm struggling to pedal with 80kg load plus bicycle weight in first gear, which means ratio 1.9.
For myself this number means suffering, therefore ideally a bit less than this ratio is obtained in third gear.

At this point I still want a new set of wheels, with integrated hub. I managed to find a Nexus 3 with coaster break system.
The gear ratios are indicated as follows:
1st gear: 75%
2nd gear: 100%
3rd gear: 136.4%

With this hub I want to obtain a max ratio of 1.9 in third gear. Next I want to know how this relates to the 2nd gear ratio:
1.9/1.364 = 1.39

This ratio of 1.39, or a bit less, is the ratio which I use as a reference when calculating the ratio with the combination of the crank sets and separate sprockets. Unlike with the Nexus 7 story I started with looking at the available parts.

Below the number for the following combination crank set 33 teeth, sprocket 24 teeth:
2nd gear 100%: Ratio = 33:24 = 1.375
1st gear 75%: Ratio = 1.375*0.75 = 1.031
3rd gear 136.4%: Ratio = 2.55*1.33 = 1.87

A bit less than the current 1.9 which I'm riding with is obtained in 3rd gear. The other two ratio will be for loaded and uphill loaded.

So far I've learned :
to read tire sizes
to remove the wheels
to change the tension of the chain
to centre the rear wheel by using the chain tugs
to degrease and grease the chain
to change the handlebar height
the importance of sufficient brake cable length (which at this moment prevented me from increasing the steering wheel height)
to read hub ratios and to use the numbers to start looking for more favourable ratios in combination with crank set/sprocket
to fine tuning the Sturmey Archer-speed shifter at the rear

Thank you in advance for your input!
I'll make sure to attach images to once I reach 10posts.

Last edited by Youri; 06-19-21 at 04:02 AM.
Old 06-13-21, 02:40 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
Larger cogs are available for the rear and you can go to a smaller ring in front to lower your gearing.
Old 06-19-21, 03:57 AM
Youri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your confirmation, Bill Kapaun. I've updated my initial post with my decision on obtaining a more favourable ratio. Being an old bicycle and having purchased my wheels with hub this post might belong better in the classic-vintage forum?

Last edited by Youri; 06-19-21 at 04:21 AM.
Old 06-20-21, 06:29 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
I'll second Bill's recommendation to lower the gearing. You are geared pretty tall for such a large heavy bike.
If you do decide to pursue the Nexus 7 route, I would have all the parts here to build you a 590mm wheel with a Nexus 7 hub, complete with shifter and all mounting hardware, but depending on where you are in the world, shipping would be a killer. That would really only be a feasible option if you are local to me.
Old 06-20-21, 06:41 AM
Youri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your proposal, Dan. My 26" wheels with Nexus 3 coaster hub already arrived.
Old 06-20-21, 09:35 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
I see you noted welding parts. Even in bikes like this the tubing is pretty thin and can easily be burned through with incorrect tools/tecnique. you may have the right tools and technique, but not a bad idea to post in the framebuilders forum for input before metal goes to molten.

Old 06-21-21, 09:21 AM
Youri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the suggestion, squirtdad. There are a couple of drillholes in the rack which were made to install the previous owner's child carrier. The thickness is close to 3mm. I'm thinking of adding four plates between the tubes of the rear rack. These plates will have holes which will allow me to mount an expansion of the rack.