Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Polishing a Brand New Nitto Stem - Sanding Steps?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 07-05-21, 07:17 AM
karldub

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I just bought a Nitto Technomic Stem which I thought would have more of a mirror finish. It is shiny, but does not have a mirror finish. From the description at Rene Hearse Cycle, the less polished finish is one of the things distingueshes the mid-priced nitto stems like Technomic from the more expensive ones like NP. Quote: "The differences to the NP are less polish (although that’s hard to see), no anodizing, a simple nut for the clamp bolt (which you replace if you run a decaleur), and no box".

Since the stem is brand new without any scratches:
- If i were to polish the stem to try to achieve a mirror finish, either by hand or getting some kind of polishing machine, would I still need to do the sanding steps to achieve this or can I skip to polishing wheel + compound?
Old 07-05-21, 07:21 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
I would skip any abrasive paper, it would just add a scratches.
Old 07-05-21, 07:53 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
No anodizing? That's odd. The stem will tarnish quickly without some sort of protection, or constant attention to cleaning.

As for how to polish, there are countless guides on the internet and youtube to guide you. In a nutshell, start out with the least abrasive means possible to remove the imperfections you find unacceptable and then progressively move to less and less abrasive means until you have the desired sheen. If you have a power buffer or a decent bench grinder you can employ a wheel and compound to save time. A stitched cotton wheel is likely all you need, along with some compound bars. If you are in the USA you might want to hit up Harbor Freight for supplies.

After finishing the metal will need some sort of protection otherwise it will tarnish very quickly. Wizards Power Seal is one such product. You will still need to keep on top of the polish but this will at least afford some level of protection.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 07-05-21, 08:12 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
Good advice from Nessism, another good sealer is Wolfgang MetallWerk Concours Metal Sealant.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 07-05-21, 08:20 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1080 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
Mother's Mag and Aluminum Polish will do exactly what you want. It may take some elbow grease if you do it by hand.
Likes For Jeff Neese:
Old 07-05-21, 08:26 AM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Great tip with the sealant, I will pick that up.

So I've done some reading/youtubing on the polishing process, and my understanding is as you say go finer and finer as you say Nessim. But since the stem is completely new and fresh, do you think I can skip all sanding steps and go straight to the cotton wheel + compound?
Old 07-05-21, 08:40 AM
Nessism

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2180 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by karldub
Great tip with the sealant, I will pick that up.

So I've done some reading/youtubing on the polishing process, and my understanding is as you say go finer and finer as you say Nessim. But since the stem is completely new and fresh, do you think I can skip all sanding steps and go straight to the cotton wheel + compound?
It won't hurt to try. Worst case you can backtrack.

For really heavy polishing, which you shouldn't need, I use a "sisal" wheel and black cutting compound. This is the most aggressive polishing method, but yet it affords a pretty darn good polish in the end. Some guys like that chrome look though and for that you need a cotton wheel and rouge compounds. I'd use a stitched wheel though. The fluffy wheels are for mirror finish polishing.

These parts were polished with the sisal and black compound. The sheen is NOT mirror finish, but I didn't want that anyway...

P1020637 by nessism, on Flickr

Last edited by Nessism; 07-05-21 at 08:49 AM.
Likes For Nessism:
Old 07-05-21, 11:45 AM
bikerosity57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
Buffing wheel.

If you use progressively finer and finer Emory cloth, then use a good polishing compound, and then use a really good new buffing wheel with first red, and then white polishing rouge, you can put a mirror finish relatively easy. It just takes patience. Unless you wax it, paint it with clear coat, or repolish regularly, it’ll become dull with oxidation after a while.
Old 07-05-21, 12:19 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
I did not sand these but used a polishing wheel, and polishing paste on cloth wheels, to achieve this result. Took me about ten minutes per hub...

Add a bit of sunshine and Bob's your uncle...

If you are just going to sand, start with #1000 wet and dry (used wet) and then finer and finer until you are happy with the result. This takes more than ten minutes per hub. Then, make sure to clean off and protect with wax.
Old 07-05-21, 12:26 PM
sdn40

Bikes: 88 Cannondale Criterium

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 91 Posts
Start with the least aggressive option first (metal polish, like Mothers). The results may surprise you. If you bring sandpaper into the equation, use wet / dry and use it wet.
Likes For sdn40:
Old 07-05-21, 12:40 PM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Nessism
No anodizing? That's odd. The stem will tarnish quickly without some sort of protection, or constant attention to cleaning.

As for how to polish, there are countless guides on the internet and youtube to guide you. In a nutshell, start out with the least abrasive means possible to remove the imperfections you find unacceptable and then progressively move to less and less abrasive means until you have the desired sheen. If you have a power buffer or a decent bench grinder you can employ a wheel and compound to save time. A stitched cotton wheel is likely all you need, along with some compound bars. If you are in the USA you might want to hit up Harbor Freight for supplies.

After finishing the metal will need some sort of protection otherwise it will tarnish very quickly. Wizards Power Seal is one such product. You will still need to keep on top of the polish but this will at least afford some level of protection.
I removed the matt black finish on exposed portion of this Truvativ seatpost using fine sandpaper, emery cloth, and then Simichrome polish. Surprised how easy and quick it was. No additional protective material. i expected that there would be tarnishing, but there’s been minimal degradation of the polish level in three years.

Before:

After:
Old 07-05-21, 07:19 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,881 Times in 924 Posts
No anodizing? That's odd.
I've found a lot of my Campy parts aren't anodized, yet they don't seem to oxidize like some of my other parts.

I've come to the conclusion they used alien technology.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 07-05-21, 11:56 PM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Really nice!

For other smaller scruffy/scratched parts, would wet sanding with gradually finer grit + polishing by cloth and metal yield a good result? (if going for shiny finish but not mirror finish) or is a polishing machine still absolutely necessary?
Old 07-06-21, 12:38 AM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
For stems, a machine is not necessary at all, but would probably be faster/easier. I've done 3 stems and used sand paper and simichrome with a cotton rag; all came out very nice with no machine buffing.
Old 07-06-21, 04:39 AM
satbuilder 

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 101 Posts
I’ve had pretty good results with 4/0 wool and Mother’s.
Old 07-06-21, 05:40 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
I've done similar light sanding and polishing to a GB stem, and it has held up well for 20 years with just a few interim polishings over that time.
It looks much better now, and I have had no issues with it.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-06-21, 05:57 AM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Looks really nice.

What grit sanding did you start with and wet or dry?

Cheers,
Karl
Old 07-06-21, 06:11 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 514 Posts
Start with 600 if there are scratches you want to remove, then much finer (1000) and always wet.
If there are no scratches that you want to remove start with Mothers and see what happens.
An wet sanding means WET!
Old 07-06-21, 07:47 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
Looks really nice.

What grit sanding did you start with and wet or dry?

Cheers,
Karl
well, it was 20 years ago, so I can't be certain of the details.
I think it was basically what has been recommended... start out with some fine sandpaper... maybe 1000 or 2000 grit and see how it goes. Always wet sand. After getting to the finest sandpaper grit (2000? 4000?), I then used 0000 steel wool, and then finally Simichrome polish.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-06-21, 12:04 PM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts
As others have mentioned, it's not all that difficult.

I asked for some advice here recently, regarding a Campagnolo seatpost that had some zig-zagging marks.

I ended up wet sanding,, starting with 500/then 1000/and 1200. Some Mothers mag polish and a soft towel to finish. I might have an hour in it.

If your stem is free from any scrapes/gouges, you can probably start with something finer than 500(6-800). I'll also note that using a vise helps a lot(lined with wood).

Before

After

Last edited by Roger M; 07-06-21 at 02:10 PM.
Likes For Roger M:
Old 07-06-21, 04:32 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Fantastic work Roger M !

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 07-07-21, 02:40 AM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft
What is your time worth to you? I recommend taking it to a professional metal finishing shop, for the best result. By the time you're done buying materials and putting all kinds of time into the project, you might realize that it would have been worth it to let a pro handle it, for really not that much money.
Normally I would agree with the argument but where I live, just finding somebody who would do it for me and bringing it back & forth would be at least 4 hours and the cost probably 3 x what you pay in the US.
Old 07-07-21, 02:43 AM
karldub

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roger M
As others have mentioned, it's not all that difficult.

I asked for some advice here recently, regarding a Campagnolo seatpost that had some zig-zagging marks.

I ended up wet sanding,, starting with 500/then 1000/and 1200. Some Mothers mag polish and a soft towel to finish. I might have an hour in it.

If your stem is free from any scrapes/gouges, you can probably start with something finer than 500(6-800). I'll also note that using a vise helps a lot(lined with wood).

Before

After
Really nice, all by hand?
Old 07-07-21, 09:36 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 646 Posts
Really nice, all by hand?
Thanks.

Yes, all by hand. I don't have a polishing wheel.
Old 07-07-21, 10:39 AM
Nathanael47
StumblingNewb

Bikes: Windsor Carrera Special?, Taga Trike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you aren't going to mess this up!

Just go for it - see what the local hardware store has (superfine sandpaper would work, or polishing compound, or any number of other things).

You can do this mechanically - but I really enjoy doing it by hand. Especially fun for super old vintage parts to watch the mirror finish emerge. It's a good idea to put some kind of sealer on afterward - or just wax/oil periodically. But the oxidation process takes time - I've left some aluminum parts unfinished and then buffed them back every year or so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.