Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 07-28-21, 09:34 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
20 min jog this morning and then some staircase reps up a pretty prodigious staircase in Tierrasanta by work, but with a loaded backpack. Three sets of 1x every step fast cadence, then 1x every-other step, which is quite muscular. 90 second planks in between sets.

Getting ready to climb this mountain! (Mt Tyndall) in four weekends!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-29-21, 02:29 AM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Easier said than done but get everything working first and the power will follow.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-29-21, 07:55 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
6x5 vo2 Tues night on Zwift, a GCN show host workout. Pretty solid for a Zwift canned workout. The native Zwift stuff is all over the damn place. This one though had logical warmup and sets. Imagine that.

Last night, WNR gravel. Somehow had 6 team members all on the ride. Just good luck. Our Cat 1/2 mtb guy and a local gravel racer dude that's silly fast put me thru the ringer. I just held the one guy's wheel the whole time while my teammate held mine. Man they're strong. Three of us dropped the rest of group for each regroup segment by a couple minutes. Freaking over 20mph in Umstead gravel, jeeeez. I can't do that solo. The draft of a group matters on gravel also.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 07-29-21, 09:48 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Only mildly sore from my backpack loaded staircase reps yesterday. not super noticeable. nice! It's only been 3 weeks of significantly reduced bike TSS (hiking and jogging) and I am already starting to feel a bit conditioned. Today, abs routine in the morning, swim at lunch.

On the bike, I do have a couple endurance XC MTB events that I may do in September and October that I may put in a long ride or two for, but I won't really be training in earnest until October or so. Just commuting and track racing, while I'm still fast at least. It still seems to be fun so for now I will continue to go.

edit: OK I had to crouch down to get something in the lab and I am kinda sore... not awful though

Last edited by TMonk; 07-29-21 at 12:37 PM.
Old 07-29-21, 04:10 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,440 Times in 1,426 Posts
San Diego Velodrome warmup, accelerations and jumps and then 3xkilos. Went late morning and it was windy which is no big deal other than the wind craters the speed. Nice day. Today, Fiesta would have been a windy dirt/sand blowing course. And there is some shelter from the wind in the pole lane of the velodrome due to the banking and the rail boards.
Old 07-29-21, 04:49 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Getting kind of nervous. I haven't been on a bike since I got hit by a car back in mid-May (and had surgery to remove some recurrent tumors from inside my leg in June). My back is still not right though my leg is healing, but I don't have a bike at the moment even if I was good to go. In physical therapy for my back they have me to a warmup on what is essentially a recumbent elliptical (I would ask for a stationary bike but they don't have one and I'm not sure my core is ready for that anyway). This morning, I was looking at the watts I was putting out in warmup and I was only doing 110-140, but after the 8 minutes, I felt like I'd been doing half an hour at 300 or more on the trainer a couple months ago. I get that the motion and positioning are different and breathing through a mask might be affecting me too (and accuracy may not be all that great), but, frick, if feels like my endurance and power have just dropped off a cliff in the last 2 months (I know my weight has gone up).
Don't underestimate the strain of surgery and physiotherapy.

I only had a finger injury and lost loads of fitness. Between anaesthesia, prophylactic antibiotics, and pain medications each surgery really messed me up.

Even the finger physiotherapy appointments were surprisingly tiring and disruptive.

Good news is it comes back fast.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 08-01-21, 07:02 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Went to SD Velodrome on Saturday and there were a couple of guys there who left so we had the track to ourselves. I have switched to high intensity short duration workouts for awhile. These are anaerobic threshold and neuromuscular with a couple of max efforts (track sprints). I used a 96 as SDV which is sort of big for me on that track. It felt okay.

Beautiful day at the track in SD but windy i.e. typical wind.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-02-21, 12:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Some Zwift action yesterday. 340 for 7 up Box hill. Sub-7min time. I'll take it. I'm feeling stronger. I am a bit disappointed in the constant choices between the social and fitness aspects of things.

The "fast" group rides are all out of town, and not many folks "hang" before or after. The in-town gravel one nobody hangs after but is a good workout. Couple guys there that can tear me up.

And weekends the rides all start 40min out of town and start later than I care for with heat of summer and traffic. I like to be rolling by 7 at latest, maybe 630 start.

This week appears it will be all rainouts, will just have to watch the weather. Otherwise indoors stuff.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-03-21, 08:21 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
personal best flat road ~20 minute thing today @5.1. I am usually 10-20w higher uphill, which theoretically means i'm at pb numbers climbing as well. will confirm later this week i guess.

Also, ctl is somewhat respectable again. yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 08-04-21, 03:36 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I do a morning track workout on coffee and very little anything else and the workout will consist of mostly anaerobic and neuromuscular efforts. However, there is not a lot of duration.

It's been years since I regularly anything before lunch time. Unless my workouts are over 3 hours I rarely take a bar unless I feel hungry. Lunch time is breakfast, which consists of a massive bowl of oats, fruit, and yogurt. For a race I'll eat a couple of bars, but not much more.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 08-04-21, 08:11 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Drove up to Carson Velodrome and did a track workout. 4x2k team pursuits in 96 gear inches with a roll up start. There was one other racer with us who then left and we had the indoor velodrome to ourselves.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-04-21, 08:13 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
And weekends the rides all start 40min out of town and start later than I care for with heat of summer and traffic. I like to be rolling by 7 at latest, maybe 630 start.
I used to leave my house a 7 then get 2 hours of riding in before meeting the big groups at 9. Depending on weather, I would sometimes pull off early to take a more direct way home - instead of adding 45 min. to the end of the ride.

And if there was an early football game - which would add considerable traffic on my route to the ride, I would drive out there, starting my ride at 8 before meeting the group ride.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 08-04-21, 10:51 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Drove up to Carson Velodrome and did a track workout. 4x2k team pursuits in 96 gear inches with a roll up start.
Is that a "track P3" or just a P3? I thought their track bike nomenclature used the "T". So like "T4".
Old 08-04-21, 11:08 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Looks like a P3T

https://vintagecervelo.weebly.com/p3t.html
Old 08-04-21, 11:58 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Is that a "track P3" or just a P3? I thought their track bike nomenclature used the "T". So like "T4".
It is a track frame and the nomenclature is odd. My wife has two of them (identical) - one for SD and the other for Carson. A couple of weeks ago one of my wife’s racing friends was at SDV with her coach and he measured my wife’s bike. It has a slightly longer top tube and is one of the fastest frames Cevelo produced. The woman wanted to buy it. No deal.

In this picture, this bike has a sleeve that inserts where the seat post goes. I purchased a UCI compliant seat post that then fits in the sleeve.

The bike pictured has 3 world records and numerous national titles ridden on it. She will never part with her bikes.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-06-21, 06:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Really disappointing weeknight worlds. I was feeling good and ready to roll. It was a solid group but the typical Cat 1/2 guys who just blow it up all the time weren't there. So it was going to be time to try to put a hurting on some folks.

And...........flat tire at the first stop light headed out of town. They didn't stop. Not what I was looking forward to.

I was close enough and it leaked slow enough I rolled it back to the car the 2 miles.

For some reason I had the TT bike in the back of the car and had the roadie on the back rack. So literally just tossed the saddle bag, Varia, and gps onto the TT bike changed shoes and rolled off.

Wound up catching and passing the B group at some point.

Good pace, good workout, but it did get warmer than forecast. High was supposed to be 85, it was more like 88. TT bike was not setup in training mode with the hydration kit..........so bottles in the jersey back.

Just wasn't what I wanted. Hard to judge my power from the ride given the stops and other annoyances. I mean, it was close to my 40k power but the terrain and ride is just such that you're up/down and around and stop start and farting around a touch to do the route.

Whatever, I rode a bike. There's that.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-10-21, 06:31 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

DIY VO2 workout last night outdoors in the heat. Neighborhood is hilly but mentally Zwift was not an option.

Looking at the power output during the sets, I'm really proud of my discipline holding the power targets. The route was uphill much as possible for the sets. Not quite 5min as even with a right hand turn at some point, not long enough hills and streets.

But the plot was great. Just shifted gears and managed my cadence to make it work.

Got the "wtf wildman" look a few times passing a commuter or other rider during the sets. Lol. Going uphill literally twice as fast as they are. I still gave a friendly head nod and half hearted hand wave.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-10-21, 10:15 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Trainer anaerobic on-offs this morning. #crossiscoming
Likes For caloso:
Old 08-10-21, 10:54 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Drove up to Carson Velodrome and did a track workout. 4x2k team pursuits in 96 gear inches with a roll up start. There was one other racer with us who then left and we had the indoor velodrome to ourselves.

Envious of the solo track training time, that sounds like a blast. I need to make it out to the track again, but I've never had a proper bike fit on my track bike, the drops are too deep, and I just haven't invested the time/money to make it my own. Always thought that I might have a shot at being a decent kilo rider, as my 1m power is my best asset without ever really training it (tested PB was not far from 10wkg) and I can get pretty aero when I need to be. Gotta wonder what I could do if I focused on it a bit. I also never ride it outside because it doesn't have provisions for a brake and I'm not quite that comfortable around cars without one.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 08-10-21, 11:16 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I use trainerroad plan builder, and shifted the date of my A race up a week (to coincide with my club's race, which is a favorite of mine and I'd love to be in peak form then). Anyhow, as a result the plan builder inserted a week of sweet spot base this week as filler prior to starting the CX specialty plan next week, I'm always ok with more sweet spot, my progression level has gone from 10 in June to 3.7 currently
Old 08-10-21, 11:39 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by caloso
Trainer anaerobic on-offs this morning. #crossiscoming
I've been moving that way but not quite there yet in my thinking. I'm second guessing my using that style training sets for cross this year. Last year I did OK with mid-pack finishes and one top 10 in crowded fields. Mostly doing what you say, and some "hot lap" sets.

I'm just wondering if instead I may try for some longer sets at a little lower power than that. Like 3 sets of 10min on/offs. Also to mimic the courses I do anyway, the "ons" ratio is longer than the offs. So maybe 40/15's or 40/20's.

If I apply the time-duration line of thought, that would put me under anaerobic but upper VO2. 66% of 10min would be 6min or so of VO2 time per set, not all at once. Sounds right.

My "time in zone" expenditure for Z6 is just sooooo much less than VO2.

I'm thinking some bread and butter workouts this year I may try are:
-indoors hard aerobic on/offs of 40/20's in VO2 power, longer sets like 10min each, moving up to 12min each, then lastly 15min each as first races start up
-outdoors do 5min all-out VO2 sets of a controlled shorter lap that repeats the barriers at least 1x per minute.
-outdoors hot laps as usual, one lap hot, one lap chill AF, one lap hot.......etc.....
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 08-10-21, 12:06 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Where are you doing these outdoor laps? I have a park nearby, but it's really flat.
Old 08-10-21, 01:27 PM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
I'm starting to get nervous. I'm 8 points from my cat 2 upgrade (45 yr old master trying to get it done finally) and I sort of screwed the pooch on the RR I did this weekend. I've got one more 3/4 RR and at least a couple of 3/4 crits, so I should be in good shape. Just need to execute.
Likes For Yep:
Old 08-10-21, 04:51 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
I'm starting to get nervous. I'm 8 points from my cat 2 upgrade (45 yr old master trying to get it done finally) and I sort of screwed the pooch on the RR I did this weekend. I've got one more 3/4 RR and at least a couple of 3/4 crits, so I should be in good shape. Just need to execute.
I was racing the 3's trying to get my points and even though I was competitive, I always ended up screwing the pooch somehow and would end up fifth or some stupid placing that was worth nothing and it was killing me. As soon as started focusing more on the open master's races where category didn't really matter other than to me, I started racing with more ease and podiums/wins, points and the upgrade came. Moral of the story, the points are a distraction when you get that close. You have great fitness, so focus on crushing the race and not how many points you need and just do what you do.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 08-11-21, 08:41 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Yesterday drove to Carson for another track workout. I took a couple of days off so this was my first day back. Legs felt great.

I will log 17 hours of piano practice going into today’s 1.5 hours lesson. I need at least 2 hours per day to make progress on my current music assignments.
Likes For Hermes:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.