Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Bags

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-21, 06:30 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
^^^^
Old 08-10-21, 07:48 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Topeak bags are decent, except for the zipper pulls, which irredeemably suck. (Rather than use a full-length metal tab, they cheaped out and used a short metal tab with a plastic finger-grip-end-thingie, which will inevitably pull straight off the end, leaving you just the metal bit, which is almost too small to grab. The smallest-sized zip ties make functional replacements. That aside, I like my Topeak folding-pannier rack trunk just fine, although when I replace it, it'll probably be with a Jandd Rear Rack Pack II w/ panniers.

I've had Lone Peak and Jandd bags of various kinds on several bikes. Both are solid, reliable, well-made products that have been around for decades.

I've had one waxed canvas bag, a Rivendell Baggins "Hoss" saddlebag. Loved it, but they haven't made that line for years, after a supplier started selling them under their own label. Their current "Sackville" line is well thought-of, but I've never seen one in person, so can't comment. Other brands are Carradice, Giles Berthoud, and many small American shops.

I've never done any loaded touring, so can't help you there. For day bags, I like a rack trunk or a smaller transverse saddlebag with a small handlebar bag.

Bags are good.

--Shannon